[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can I "test drive" machining as a job? I love doing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4
File: 20151215_170248.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151215_170248.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
Can I "test drive" machining as a job?

I love doing CAD/Solidworks design, 3D printing, I'm good with cars and tools, and I'm really interested in doing machining. I could watch Clickspring and AvE for days because it fascinates me. But how do I get into that professionally? I can't go into a shop and say, "If you give me a drawing with dimensions and a couple hours of instruction on how to use the tools, I feel confident I could do it for work." How do you get into that industry without going through a whole 2+ years of school for that?

pic unrelated
>>
i doubt it op, plus most places you are just babysitting a computer.
save up, buy a lathe, set up your own shop.
but really go to school. you don't need a 2 year course, you can probably find a community college course to learn the basics, see if its right for you.
>>
File: drillparts.jpg (19 KB, 651x190) Image search: [Google]
drillparts.jpg
19 KB, 651x190
There's a lot more to machining than being good with 3D stuff.
You need to understand different materials, tool geometry, tolerances, forces generated, machine ability to take the forces, speeds and feed rates, safety, ect, ect.

No one is going to give you access to a machine worth hundreds of thousands of dollars without you knowing these things.
You might be able to get something as a machine operator doing mass production.

Best way to get into it is probably some schooling and learning manual machining methods at a small job shop.

>pic related
That's just a drill bit and doesn't cover how variances in the geometry effect performances for different materials. There's a multitude of just cutting edge special geometries that each have their own advantages or disadvantages.
>>
File: drill_sharpening1.jpg (67 KB, 671x557) Image search: [Google]
drill_sharpening1.jpg
67 KB, 671x557
>>919253
>>
If you join a hackerspace with machine tools you can learn there.

Personal experience: I once got a job as a welder and machinist helper at a small shop that manufactured tub grinders.

To get the job, I showed up and took in my resume (8 years of IT experience, no machining experience). I also took in my handmade brass double-acting steam engine with a propane fired brazed copper boiler.

They'd never had a woman that worked in the shop before, much less a geek.

The job was awesome, but I left when they asked me to start working on their website and do PC stuff.
>>
File: im-a-girl-btw-128282966021.jpg (23 KB, 602x400) Image search: [Google]
im-a-girl-btw-128282966021.jpg
23 KB, 602x400
>>919387
>woman
>/diy/
pic related
>>
>>919387
>my handmade brass double-acting steam engine with a propane fired brazed copper boiler
This is what they look for, mechanical aptitude and finesse.
I had a similar job as a steel fabricator and some minor machine shop work. Only had electronics engineering and some basic carpentry experience. Ended up writing software to layout things like cones, square to round ductwork, pipe junctions, ect.

>>919391
Was kinda relevant anon
>>
>>919387
>tfw hacker spaces in towns I have lived charge annual membership fees greater than the cost of the 3d printer and laser cutter, the only two tools they seem to have.

>tfw boring as fuck people with no original plans, experience or initiative.
If I wanted what a hacker space offered, I'd just sit as home masturbating, taking occasional breaks to shitpost memes on 4chan.
>>
>>919212
Honestly, go around to some of the local small "pop shops" and ask them. If you're looking to get experience an old timer might be willing to work with you and let you apprentice "off the books".

Otherwise actually going to school for this shit is advisable. Many big industry fab shops will go in and talk to the instructors doing head hunting.

Additionally get in contact with a local union and get their input for your area
>>
My advice would be to take a local community college course in manufacturing or something similar. Undoubtedly will help you at least get started in this area.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.