[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So this is something I was looking into, just in the initial
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
So this is something I was looking into, just in the initial planning stages now, and its probably a long ways off but here goes.
I want to build an airplane.
A hummel Bird, or Ultra cruiser to be precise (pic related)

So what kind of tools would I need?
Floorspace?
What ways could I could cost effectiveley practice riveting and sheet metalworking in the next few years leading up to the project?

Final question: Are any of you aviatorfags? (Preferably of the self built or atleast DIY maintenance variety)

Its been my life dream to build and fly a plane, and it seems relatively affordable to do (doesnt appear to cost more than a new motorcycle or car at around $15,000) but I feel like I might be missing something.
>>
Where are you anon? Do you at least have a light sport (LSA/RA-Aus etc) license?
>>
>>915400
>but I feel like I might be missing something.
A pilots license. That's the hardest part. Mostly just getting the flight time with an instructor you need.
>>
>>915400
There was a guy who was slowly building a plane throughout my elementary school life, roughly 5 years. I used to walk by his place everyday, and he'd be working on it.
I got to see inside his garage once when a friend I finally spoke to him, he had all sorts of tools, that I would later recognize life.
Tools that stuck out were an english wheel, air tools, an array of wrenches and socket sizes, a welding machine, TIG, organized blue print reading board, I guess it took a lot of work.
My guess is it would be similar to building a kit car, and most of the parts would be be pretty much ordered and bolted or welded on.
>>
>>915400
Cool. Jut make sure you've researched it quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybgQJlYRrZs

I also recommend getting a pilots license of some type, if you don't already have one.

Everything you need to know is online. Essentially, you only need a few tools since there's not much that needs to be done, unless you're fabricating an actual engine. Floor space is usually the problem for most people. You need a lot of it.
>>
>>915430
Im going to begin attending a flight school halfway through the build
(Of note, this aircraft falls under the ultralight category when not loaded with extra fuel tanks and the tripod style landing gears)
>>
>>915430
>>915461
Forgot to add, I flew drones for the military, which is a different licensing process, but I am a capable pilot as far as manuevering, navigating, using instruments, and having an understanding of general aeronautic knowledge.
>>
File: DSC03968.jpg (794 KB, 1920x1627) Image search: [Google]
DSC03968.jpg
794 KB, 1920x1627
>>915464
Yeah, I was hoping I could get in with a flight club and schmooze around a bit, see if I could find somebody go halvsies on a small hangar or something. I guess it is somewhat common for small aircraft pilots to share rent on small airstrip hangars and sometimes help eachother out with thier builds.
>>
>>915461
>That's the hardest part.
It's really not. Homebuilding is usually a lot of work. With a few exceptions (i.e. Glasair's Two-Weeks-To-Taxi program), homebuilts typically take over a year to reach completion. A pilot's license takes only around 50 hours of flight time and a bit of studying for the knowledge test; easily done in a couple months if you're committed.
>>915462
This guy gets it.
>>
>>915501
For for an ultralight class its more like 15 hours, like 20 for a light sport aircraft license. You dont need an instument rating, night flying certification, or an emergency medical certification for anything below the general aviation license so it really cuts down on time.

Ultralights are classified as being under 280 pounds, 5 gallon fuel capacity, and no passenger.

Light sport is up to two seats, fixed landing gear, single engine, and some airspeed and stall limits.
>>
>>915474
I don't see how you're going to fit in it.
>>
>>915509
Im a 155 pound pollak, i think i'll manage
>>
>>915400
Most kit crafts can be built with fairly basic tools. I looked into going for an aircraft from Zenith Air a few years ago, and their kits actually came with the required tools, such as riveter, metal saws, clamps, etc.

But I digress: What I meant to say was, if you're buying a kit, ask the manufacturer what they recommend.
>>
>>915400
OP, don't let other people get you down. I was brought up in a family of pilots so I always had the bug. I bought a kolb firestar (FAR103) from an estate, had 4 hours of instruction in a two place challenger and my mother called me a pussy for dragging my feet to fly the damn thing. That was over 500 hours ago. You can do it if you want to. Just don't be a pussy about it.
>>
>>916164
>Tfw no mom to shame you for not flying

One of my biggest goals in life is to build an ultralight but a lot of my friends tell me I'm probably going to die. I just wanna fly, man.
>>
>>916216
I might suggest finding a tight group of old pilots who hang out at a rural airstrip and just hang out. If they like you, they'll take you up and you'll be making good connections. You can buy a solid, sound, legal ultralight for $5000 or less all day. You'll have way more then that in a kit. Why spend you're time building when you can be flying? But more than anything just get some time in the air, you'll have a pretty good idea what you want to do from there.
>>
File: image-1.jpg (26 KB, 325x245) Image search: [Google]
image-1.jpg
26 KB, 325x245
>>916164
Bro, I spent a 4 year enlistment as a Marine grunt, got out, got college, then got back in as a drone pilot.
Folks dont get me down, and I dont live life by what others say I can and cant do.

Im going to start taking flight lessons, then im gonna buy a plane (I want a kit I can build mostly just cuz it will fight the post-military boredom)
And I wanna fly because I have always wanted to be a pilot. Instead I spent SO MANY GODDAMNED HOURS flying a fucking drone.
Which is like all of the most boring tedious parts of being a real pilot with literally none of the perks or fun.

Gonna fly. How and what is still to be determined. I think an all metal project might be a bit too audacious though. I think Im going to start out with a Mini Max. Wood and cloth, a lot easier and more forgiving to work with. Fuck a piece up? No biggie, its wood, cheap, make another.

Metal?
Im imagining me using a pop rivet gun
>ka-chunk ka-chunk ka-chunk
>ka-ponk
>fuck! Missed a spar! There goes a fucking $300 panel. Guess I gotta order another one and wait 3 months to continue.

But yeah, gonna alter my plans a bit, something like this (roughly):
1: take a few flying lessons to see if im even up to it
2: purchase kit plane of some sort
3: build it (for the minimax, i think I could do it in 18 months)
4: get license
5: finish build
6: fly it.
>>
>>916216
My dad and his friends built and flew one in high school (Rogallo-style hang glider made from bamboo spars and an old tarp, using only a magazine picture as reference), and yet he's still alive and flying to this day.
>>916667
>Which is like all of the most boring tedious parts of being a real pilot with literally none of the perks or fun.
Frankly, that's professional aviation in general. Part 91 has all the fun.
>>
File: 04N28WithR2800.jpg (82 KB, 1071x590) Image search: [Google]
04N28WithR2800.jpg
82 KB, 1071x590
I personally plan to get an airdrome N.28 or Dr.1 kit. I'm a helicopter mechanic so I should be able to complete it in around 100 hours. I spend a lot of time shooting shit with different aircraft builders on the airfield and plenty built their first kit with no experience. It will take some time but it's worth it. You can also save a ton of money rather than buying.
>>
>>916964
Yeah, and one of the cool things about kits is that as soon as it passes its airworthyness inspection it becomes worth more than what you paid for it.

Love those old open cockpit biplanes.
>>
you spend all your time figuring out how to build one (very expensive by the way) when you should have just taken a few lessons with a flight instructor (very cheap) just to crash it into the ground because of no experience. sounds dumb to me. from a licenced privot pilot.
>>
>>917958
>Muh training, muh elite skillz
You know there was an era when two-seat trainers didn't even exist, right? Stick-and-rudder work isn't THAT hard for a moderately-coordinated person to figure out.

But anyways, OP already has experience [>>915470], and said he plans to get a license before his build is even complete: [>>916667]
>>
>>917958
Lots of people taught themselves to fly. Where is your sense of adventure? With your attitude the Wright Brothers would have stopped at bicycles. Stop being a pussy.
>>
File: 1385469443.jpg (20 KB, 259x191) Image search: [Google]
1385469443.jpg
20 KB, 259x191
>>917958
> All those grammar errors
> "licenced"
> "privot"

From the looks of you, breathing would sound like a dumb idea. Dear god I hope you're lying about being a flyer..
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.