[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am going to find a way of growing spirulina and feed it to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: Koala.jpg (763 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763 KB, 1024x768
I am going to find a way of growing spirulina and feed it to homeless people, help me. My research starts now, everything usefull I will post here.
>>
Buttermilk is great nutrients
>>
If you are going to process it at all for them, be sure to add some b12 and vitamin d.

I suggest also giving them milk, cheese or yogurt (cheese keeps the best)

Additionally they need omega fatty acids which is really only available in oils, so add in some olive, soybean, or fish oil
>>
You are going to fuck up their livers op, I promise you don't have the equipment required to ensure you don't get any algal bloom

It's not as simple as letting water and spirulina sit in a vat and you get infinite supply, too much nutrients you get an algal bloom, too little you get acidic water which causes other shit

And if you do just the right amount and you get decent growth, if you remove too much you get an algal bloom and too little you get algal bloom

It is very difficult to maintain

My company used to use it for feed for fish, and if we weren't careful we would kill 1000 fish within a day, it ended up way more expensive in monitoring and testing than the cost savings
>>
>>913442
Well, I live in the center of a real big town, it is usual to see homeless people looking for food at trash cans, I am not sure, but it might' be less dangerous to grow spirullina.

There are people already doing it by themselves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PUga2xv41U&feature=youtu.be

Why the fish died exactly? Are you sure it was due to algae consumption?
>>
>>913445
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanotoxin

We tested the water

It happened 3 times in less than 18 months before we scrapped it

It is REALLY easy to go bad, and the people in those videos are playing with fire. It seems the only real way to do it requires constant fresh water cycling through and getting dumped afterwards, filtering is not enough, you will get a massive water bill if you want to make as much as that video
>>
Guys, I think I got it.

Basically I will need:
an aquarium
a oxigen pump

Baking soda
Pins coroded in vinegar

Spirulina algae alive

My main difficulty is to find spirulina alive, I am not sure, but maybe processed spirulina may be a source.
>>
>>913447
Was it possible to reconize when it goes wrong?

Arent the baking soda going to kill other algaes that may cause harm?
>>
>>913449
It isn't other algae it is the spirulina that produces the cyanotoxins

We had our full time environmental engineer PhD design the system, and he knows his shit well. First time it happened was due to the nutrient drip being in the tank with the spirulina, it caused a location of high nutrients which caused the bloom, then after we added a full mixing tank it happened again because there was 1 week of cloudy days, which slowed down the reproduction rate, which meant we had slightly too high nutrients for amount in the tank, so after a week of normal sunshine bam dead fish

Then after we installed some expensive lights and lighting monitors to monitor lighting it happened again because of change in temperature

Worst part is, it is next to impossible to tell when it happened without lab tests, so we started doing 1 lab test a week before our boss finally gave up the notion that this would save money.
>>
>>913451
>>913449
We had 99.7% pure spirulina, it caused the cyanotoxins
>>
>>913451
Well, fuck...

If it is that dificult people eating spirullina are consuming toxins, I doubt the companies producing spirullina would really care. Or are the tests for toxins cheap?

There are people producing it at massive quantities, how can they do it?

http://www.medicaldaily.com/edible-algae-thai-style-urban-farming-includes-sustainable-rooftop-cultivation-spirulina-254657

Anyway, I will keep researching...
>>
>>913456
Fda doesn't regulate it, meaning they don't need to test it for human consumption. The Wikipedia page says this:

"Because spirulina is considered adietary supplementin the U.S., no active, industry-wide regulation of its production occurs and no enforced safety standards exist for its production or purity.[24]The U.S.National Institutes of Healthdescribes spirulina supplements as "possibly safe", provided they are free of microcystin contamination, but "likely unsafe" (especially for children) if contaminated.[26]Given the lack of regulatory standards in the U.S., some public-health researchers have raised the concern that consumers cannot be certain that spirulina and other blue-green algae supplements are free of contamination."

And for us each test was around $160 for 2 samples
>>
>>913457
Well, that is unsatable for me. Are sure even in small culture the chances of growing toxins is that high?
I am pretty much giving up...
>>
>>913456
Your link suggests they don't actually do testing

When asked they day the follow fda guidelines, which means nothing
>>
>>913458
You can do it for fun, and you can do it and eat it short term, but bmaa can cause brain disorders like Parkinson's and als long term and Microcystins can cause liver cancer long term so I suggest not doing it long

If you want a miracle food for homeless, try mushrooms, you can produce pearl mushrooms easily and they break down anything you throw at them meaning a compost heap in an aquarium that is painted black would be great

Look up the Ted talk "7 ways fungi will save the world" It's pretty interesting

Your heart is in the right place
>>
>>913460
Oops, it's 6 ways
>>
>>913458
If anything, his story suggests that you should do it on massive scale in multiple separate tanks, have all kinds of monitoring shit and test it often for toxins.
>>
I can imagine seeing Op walk up to a homeless person, handing them what appears to be a jar of lake water compete with sludge, and telling them to eat it

While staring down at them with anticipation

Them slowly choking down the bland tasteless algae while op stares with a Cheshire grin thinking they are about to be murdered.

They finish and hand back the jar and op calmly States "you're welcome". As op turns around and walks away, a single tear rolls down their cheek before they force themselves to vomit up the lake water they are certain is inundated with some hobo torturing poison
>>
OP, if you want to help them, help a handful of them break into a Wallmart at night and steal as much as possible.
>>
>>913439
Feta in garlic-infused olive oil. Fucking beautiful.
>>
>>913487
> op helps a bunch of hobos break into a 24hr Wal-Mart
>>
>>913442
>My company used to use it for feed for fish, and if we weren't careful we would kill 1000 fish within a day

So either the homeless get fed, or they die and no longer need to be fed. Win-win.
>>
>>913435
>feed it to homeless people

Mix it with Two Buck Chuck. Problem solved.
>>
>>913519
Was waiting for a response like this
>>
I found a thesis about espiruline from my university data base, I been reading it, the aztec people ate it, honestly I am feeling that it is pretty safe to eat it if you grow it in proper conditions.
Its possible to grow it using your own pee.
Anyway, I still haven't found alive spirulina to buy, I will send some emails to the researchers, someone will be found of my cause and help me.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.