[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I drill a small hole (a few millimeters) in a rock without
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5
File: 131.jpg (261 KB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
131.jpg
261 KB, 1152x864
How can I drill a small hole (a few millimeters) in a rock without causing the rock to splinter/shatter?

Specifically, I'm a Runefag and I want to make an amulet of fury (onyx amulet). I have some real onyx that I got on ebay. I have some twine stuff that works to make a necklace out of. I wrapped it around the onyx but I want to do better. I want to loop it through a hole in the onyx. If I use a drill to make a hole, will the onyx crack/splinter? And will it damage/dull the drill bit? Is there a better way?

Thanks
>>
File: Capture.jpg (93 KB, 762x633) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
93 KB, 762x633
>>913823
> - First ask Google, then ask /diy/. Your question will probably be better received if you do so.
>>
>>913827
>legit worst answer ever and that google search fucking sucks m80. get gewd.

>>913823
OP onyx only has a Moh hardness of 7.0. Carbide is like 8.0 Clearly you need some sort of diamond bit, or carbide bit. the easiest way would be a dremel and one of those like 13 dollar diamond bits. drill half way on one side, flip over drill to the half way point on the other side. keep going for the hole size you want.

BTW aluminum oxide has a Moh of 9 so you can use wet/dry sand paper to clean up the hole and make it shiny again.

TL:DR
yes you can drill a hole in your stone.
no it will not grant you magical powers.
>>
>>913833
Thanks anon. I don't have a dremel, so could I make a drill work or would it splinter the onyx?
>no it will not grant you magical powers
Fuck you for ruining my dreams
>>
>>913844
I'd say if you've got a drill press to use that... to have very even and direct pressure.

Hand drill.. errm.. you could. but its kinda risky because you can't help but to put a side load and shit onto the bit doing the drilling, and that in faults puts side load onto the stone, and the vibrations from drilling, could cause the stone to either get a fissure in it, or worse for it to flake off.
>>
>>913846
Just a hand drill. Well, maybe my dad has something else, I could ask him. But I certainly don't, and as far as I know he doesn't. Maybe I can find someone with a dremel they'll let me borrow. Thanks!
>>
>>913848
Dremels are toys.

Find a an auto shop or any place that deals with metal and might have drill press. Ask them if they're willing to drill a hole for you if you bring your own drill. Ask them which size shank do you need for their press. Have them do it for a sixpack.
>>
File: diamond bits.jpg (63 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
diamond bits.jpg
63 KB, 800x800
>>913823
Get yourself a diamond bit like pic related in the size you want (smaller bits may be solid cylinders rather than hollow). A Dremel would work if it fits the bit, but a regular drill would work too. If using a hand drill, use the highest speed and light pressure, drilling downward with a bit of water at the place you'll be drilling. Add water periodically to keep things cool and control dust. Once you're through, you can carefully use the bit to round the edges of the hole a bit, then smooth to the finish you want with sandpaper.
>>
>>913849
>>913851
Thanks
>>
File: 040715162.jpg (77 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
040715162.jpg
77 KB, 1000x1000
>>913823
Multiple speed dremel with a ceramic bit.
Ok reading thread while I type.
You can use a drill, just use it at 90 degrees, using the side of the bit will break it. Draw your pattern before you drill and make short busts at exactly 90 degrees and you should be fine. It should be known that you need to secure the piece you want to mark.
Physics says not securing the item, is a bad idea.
>pic unrelated, kinda
Cobalt or concrete bits, not wood.
>>
>>914313
>2015
>dremel
>>
Guys relax. I originally said dremel because its a generic term. Any rotary or air tool. Would work. Thing with cutting rock is if you want any real work done to it, its two things either or. Speed or pressure. High speed less pressure needed. Lower speeds. More pressure needed.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.