[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://i.4cdn.org/v/1449260121651.j pg How can I make my own
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Bumpers.jpg (28 KB, 600x535) Image search: [Google]
Bumpers.jpg
28 KB, 600x535
http://i.4cdn.org/v/1449260121651.jpg
How can I make my own barbell weights at home?

I was thinking of using cement but I don't have a mixer or a respirator etc.
>>
Well, cement would work. But a thing to consider with using cement is that it's a brittle material.

If you were to say, drop the weight, there's a good chance that it might crack in half.
Obviously you can mitigate that issue by building around a rebar frame and using various fibers or additives in the mix.

Also, you really don't need a cement mixer or a respirator.
It's obviously not that great to breathe in but do consider that you'll be working with wet cement for basically the entire duration of the procedure and if you're really scared about it, just have a damp towel wrapped around your face before you add water and start mixing.
>>
>>910451
Yea and my home gym floor is stone so it'd be cool to make rubber bumper plates like in my pic

Is there some kind of rubber substance I can like pour into a plate shaped mold and air dry to harden?
>>
>>910454
Perhaps this might be a good way of doing it?

Pour a cement weight then coat it in Urethane?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwZZkOF2uRU
>>
>>910458
That's an idea
If Urethane isn't too expensive would it be a good idea to make whole plates out of it?
>>
>>910460
Well I have no idea about how much it might cost, but one thing is certain, it'd be cheaper to use a cement core.

There's also the issue of weight. Just urethane might not provide satisfactory weight in relation to the amount you'd need.
That said, I don't have any numbers to back my speculations up with.
>>
>>910468
Alright forgetting the Urethane for now, I can always put some gym mats down
What would be an easy substance to create a mold that the cement wouldn't stick to?
>>
>>910470
Well you're just looking for a relatively non-porous material.
This means that basically anything made from plastic or glass in your desired shape would work as a mold.
Cement isn't really all that sticky, it just creates a strong mechanical bond.
A good option would be styrofoam molds. While it might stick to the mold, you can always just rip it up and remove it that way. If you line it with PVC sheets you should get a smooth surface on your cement along with easy removal.
>>
Someone on /b/ used those 11-18 Liter/gallon water jugs with water in them and put them on a barbell weight bench. It could potentially be an option.

Also, calisthenics is good as well if you dont have access to a gym. Just have a way to progressive overload to muscle ups, dragon flags, handstand push ups, etc, etc. a lot of people shit all over calisthenics but advanced bodyweight work is really hard to do.
>>
>>910445
Op. Bring a chainsaw or handaxe inndawoods. Take a measuring tape and find a tree that is at least 8 in a half inches across. Closest to the top you can get to measure it at. Cut it down. Cut the thickest part into about 5 feet...

Start lifting. Or doing squats. You can find the balance point of the log and drill some holes for lag bolts to attach 10mm climbing rope too for handles. Then you can put boots on and slide your feet into the rope handles and have the center of your foot against the log... And now you have a leg press machine too....? Either way. Form is important. Dont hurt yourself. Good luck.
>>
>>910521
Thanks bro but I live in London
No free forest unless I go all the way to the Scottish mountains or some shit
>>
>>910522
Ask a tree trimming service. Just tell them when they find on the size you want to leave it on the front lawn.
>>
>>910445
>respirator
>>
>>910523
If he lives in London he probably doesn't have a lawn.
>>
>>910445 Use bags of sand, easier to measure and control how much weight you want
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.