[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey there /diy/ I'm almost done with this fucker, but I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
File: Dedmau5 is anice dubstep band.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
Dedmau5 is anice dubstep band.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
Hey there /diy/
I'm almost done with this fucker, but I have no idea how to make the "ears" from two used beer cans. Can anybody help me out on this one?
>>
File: 8151686121_5e99cf6d71.jpg (63 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
8151686121_5e99cf6d71.jpg
63 KB, 500x375
>>908280
Are you willing to try again? Honestly, that helmet looks like shit. Get a good pep file and apply bondo in thin layers, sand till everything is perfectly smooth and round. Fill little holes with spot putty, bondo, sand repeat till smooth. then sand some more. Then wet sand. Sanding is key. Spend time on this and you'll have a helmet you can be proud of. Not this turd.

Just measure out some distance from the bottom of the can and cut it. Stick the bottom of the can on helmet. You're done.
>>
>>908292
Sheesh, that one looks top notch. I really should make a new one.
Any tips on visor then? Things might be horribly fucked up with mine.
>>
>>908298
>I really should make a new one
you really should. I'm making one now. It's not hard. Put a little effort into it and it'll look great.

For the visor, buy a 1mm plastic sheet, heat and bend. I've seen builds where people have used heat guns. Google and try different options. to make the visor black you'll have to use some form of dye. I'm going to use tint film but I don't know how it's gonna turn out. We'll see.

Have you fiberglassed the inside?
>>
>>908301
As a matter of fact I didn't, which proves my autism. I had covered outside with epoxy, but that's pretty much it.
Also, anon, do you plan on making gloves? If so, what material will you use for plating?
>>
>>908302
Then I really suggest you start again. Read up properly. See how others have approached their builds. It's fairly simple and I've seen great helmets.

Got nothing on the gloves yet. Just want the helmet and lights done. I'll see when I get there.
>>
>>908304
Thanks for the help, anon. I'll try to keep you posted if I stumble on some shit and even internets won't help.
>>
>>908280
This looks save-able to me. Pile on layers of something sandable, then sand until smooth.
>>
File: hello_i__m_retarded.jpg (22 KB, 390x275) Image search: [Google]
hello_i__m_retarded.jpg
22 KB, 390x275
>>908390
I just realized that I can barely wear the helmet, so I also need to cut the lower edges if I want to be able to put it on. So, I guess starting over is my only solution.
>>
make sure its the helmet from the first 2 albums and NOT the helmet from the second 2 albums
>>
>>908474
Well, DP didn' even wore helmets during HM era, and Discovery era helmets are full of electronic shit which I'm not yet capable of making. Making a HAR era helmet would be my best bet now.
Talking of that, what peps did you guys used. Which ones do you think are the best ones. What .pdo SHOULD I take if I want removable earpices and already cut vent and mouth holes?
>>
OP, finish building it and keep it as a reference. Then, build up the new models features on that as a prototype before transferring it onto a real casting of your head(so it fits nice).

5% window tint will be as dark as you need, and you might even be able to make out objects through it. Did I mention it's also really shiny and smooth?(unlike spray paint). 3M brand is what you want.

Polyester filler for car repair is great to work with. 80 grit for roughing, then run through the whole lot from 120/140 to 800 grit, primer that layer, then and smooth with the 800/1200 grit. unfortunately I noticed a few mm of retraction after a few days, remember to feather edge it properly after filling holes, it's not noticeable after painting but hides the edges of the filler.

If possible, get a flat sanding block and shape the visor on yours to match the picture posted below it, if you go to deep on the back portion of the visor(where it meets the head), just reshape the head. But yeah, use the current one as a means of testing new skills. Bondo and a plastic spatula will fill all the holes, and 80 grit will get it smooth enough to see any which remain. Then just keep working the edges until they are smooth and as close as you need.

It's savable, but it will take a bit of work.
>>
>>908866
look for Thomas Cama900 unfold. I found it by far the best version. Google tutorials on scaling for it to fit your noggin.
>>
>>908903
>Doesn't live in USA
Not sure if our shops even sell Bondo, but I'll try to find what I can.
Currently covering entire helmet with putty. I'll try to make it somewhat tolerable to look at and post the result of this abomination in a few weeks.
And about the vizor - I did already sorta-kinda made it with the heat gun and plastic long time ago but it looks kinda angular. It's behind a tape now, so I hope it won't interfiere with the paint.
Going to start printing the pep file tomorrow, any caveats here? I really don't know how not to fuck up the vent holes, they do look pretty ugly.
>>
File: Batting-Helmet1.jpg (20 KB, 640x569) Image search: [Google]
Batting-Helmet1.jpg
20 KB, 640x569
>>908280
Some people have successfully used a batting helmet or motorcycle helmet as the base. If you start with a chrome helmet, everything else can be wrapped in adhesive chrome vinyl.
>>
>>909298
If only I could have found one. Baseball attire is kinda short in my town since it isn't our main sport. Most I've seen are just bats'n'balls, but that's it. Plus, I have a lingering feeling that I will inevitably fuck up the connection of vizor to the helmet.
>>
>>909353
So you would rather try to sculpt a perfectly smooth helmet that will show every tiny imperfection once chromed?

However many hours you spent making a helmet from scratch, you'll spend double that just trying to sand and finish it smooth, and it will never be perfect.
>>
>>909371
If I can't find the helmet, that would be the case. I still need to finish sanding the previous one, so I'll see when I get there.
>>
File: 20140819_065358.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20140819_065358.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>908413
Hope you still got your helmet still laying around. 405th member here, don't let anyone tell you what can and cannot be done. Give it one more day of sanding and filing, spray prime and post results. Pic related doesn't fit me either, but we have something called the "back off method" (something >>908292 should do)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yeP4aI4r7JE
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=40275
Good luck
>>
>>910625
Wow, that detail is impressive. I see some cleanup and further work to be done, but obviously something you can handle.
>>
>>910625
>405th member here
Shit I remember that place. Started building a chaos space marine suit there. Fucking thing failed so bad.
>>
File: 20151205_104939.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151205_104939.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>910771
Can't be that bad, helmet to the left is the first time if ever fiberglassed anything. Man, I was young those days. I don't think I was even in high school when I built the one to the left. At least you have a suit, the best thing I have is pic related. First fucked up build was without cardstock and using tape, second fuck up build was fiberglassing fail in pic related. I've built 3 of the same helmets just to get to where I am. Let's see that Space Marine suit.
>>
>>908280
You're looking for volpin props. He made the original daft punk helmet. Here is a blank for sale and he has very extensive blog guides. His videos kind of suck.

http://www.volpinprops.com/product/daft-punk-thomas-helmet-raw-casting-2/
>>
>>910948
I think honestly think OP would rather build his helmet than buy it. If he wanted to go through all this trouble just to get a helmet, I'm sure he could have found one on ebay or something.
>>
File: Screenshots_2015-12-05-22-28-44.png (358 KB, 718x691) Image search: [Google]
Screenshots_2015-12-05-22-28-44.png
358 KB, 718x691
>>910948
> tfw you will never be a master race freelancer making $300 per cast
> $300 per RAW FUCKING CAST
> 300 CHEESE BURGERS AN HOUR
> the feels are reel
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.