[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to bake clay in my kitchen's oven? It goes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
Is it possible to bake clay in my kitchen's oven? It goes up to 400 deg C.

Nothing fancy, just some small figurines.
>>
File: fimo 2.jpg (155 KB, 543x422) Image search: [Google]
fimo 2.jpg
155 KB, 543x422
>>906471
Sounds like Fimo (or your regional equivalent) will be the shit you need, thin parts like outstretched arms etc tend to crack away from clay as it dries and shrinks, and the end model will be brittle as fuck. I don't know if you can bake ceramic clay in an oven, but I do know all the details I tried to build onto my models (mechs mainly) would often be broken off once the piece was fired (assuming it didn't droop before it dried)
>>
>>906474
Welp. I don't think I can find this stuff where I am.

So there's just no way to make pottery with a kitchen oven, huh?
>>
>>906479
>Welp. I don't think I can find this stuff where I am.

Really? Where are you, and can you not ship it in? Some other brand names I've seen are Cernit, Premo and Sculpey, the base material is referred to as polymer clay. Google around on that if you can't find a local brand, google may fill the gap for you under a sponsored ad or something.

> So there's just no way to make pottery with a kitchen oven, huh?
Not as far as I know, some other anon might know though.
>>
>>906471
Try resin instead. First reply on this archive thread:
archive.4plebs. org /tg/thread/32844888
>>
>>906496
Shitty third world country that would probably cost me twice the cost to pay for shipping and tax.

>>906513
Thanks, I'll look into it.
>>
>>906471
Use polymer clay. Typically bakes at a range of 200 to 350F.
>>
>>906542
Way to read the thread faggot.
>>
>>906471
>my kitchen's oven? It goes up to 400 deg C.

I suspect that is likely to be Fahrenheit.

400C is an insane heat for an oven.
>>
>>906592
not op but my oven goes higher on the cleaning cycle
>>
>>906592
I've only ever use up to 200 C to roast joints of meat and the like.
>>
>>906471
>Is it possible to bake clay in my kitchen's oven?
anything is possible if you believe in yourself! friendship is magic!
>>
>>906833
>>>/b/
>>
Clay needs 700°C to become stable and about 1100°C to harden out. A hot wood fire can reach these temperatures with regulated ventilation, a kitchen oven tops out under 300°C.

The problem is uniform heat that rises slowly. If you get heat spikes your clay will crack. It will also break if it isn't perfectly dry before firing.

If you are making primitive dishes you can try wood firing. Many will break, but with some experience you can preserve most. They will be discolored, and you cannot use glazes.

If you want to make intricate stuff, walls thicker than a finger, or use a glaze then you must use a furnace. Electric ones are not very expensive to run, only to buy. See if there is someone local who owns one. Usually a simple deal can be struck to use it for a firing or put a few items in with the next regular one.
>>
>>906471
Try burying them in Graphite then microwaving them for four hours
>>
Clay ovens and bread ovens are completely different (Thanks Terry Pratchett!). You can fire clay in a bread oven, but it comes out really shitty and goes insane.

On the upside, people and romans were building clay ovens for thousands of years in the UK and Europe with such complicated tools as dirt, bricks, and turfs.

http://www.crownstudio.co.uk/Reconstruction%20Roman%20Kiln.html

Probably take some practice and private land but no reason you couldn't build one.
>>
>>906600
What about the spin cycle?
>>
>>906471
: )

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/Egyptian_-_Group_of_16_Amulets_Strung_as_a_Necklace_-_Walters_481685-1699_-_View_A.jpg

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/egyptianpaste.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJvCuGmRWL8
>>
>>906471
They sell some hobby clay that you can bake in an oven. Otherwise, I like to make sure the kiln goes up to at least 1100° over a 24 hour period.
>>
>>908227
Hope this gets ya started, OP. Ask if you need help with molding/modeling techniques, firing processes, or finding materials suppliers.
>>
>>908230
This. But i think what op reallt wants is those beads thst melt together with water. And somehow turn into ghb as well.
>>
>>908227
bumping my breadcrumbs. It's lonely here. Why is everyone so stupid and boring? Y'all know you can do enamel work, glass fusing and pate de verre with this too? I guess I get excited when someone asks an interesting question.
>>
>>906471
>turn broiler on
>leave clay in it
>post results
>>
>>908954
It would probably just result in some ruined pots, a huge electrical bill, and perhaps a ruined oven/housefire.
>>
File: burn16.jpg (14 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
burn16.jpg
14 KB, 320x240
>>906471
If you have these old hotplates you can put a flowerpot over them to create a ghetto style kiln.

Other than that you can build an electric Kiln using the heating elements from electric fires, quartz bulbs, bricks and ceramic fibre wool.

I've heard tales of people using floodlights surrounded by ceramic fibre wool as well, don't know about that personally.

The microwave is another choice. Like >>908227.
>>
File: 41wcCpi5JjL._SX450_[1].jpg (23 KB, 450x306) Image search: [Google]
41wcCpi5JjL._SX450_[1].jpg
23 KB, 450x306
>>906474
>fimo
>not sculpey
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.