[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone have any experience with sewing from patterns an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
Does anyone have any experience with sewing from patterns and perhaps pleating? I'm trying to sew a male hakama from this video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x8FzXetBc0 but due to my retardedness with numbers and sizings (why I tend to always give up and just eyeball shit and produce inelegant looking, if practical, results) I can't seem to wrap my head around it. I can't correlate the measurements required at the start of the video with the template and scaling it properly is alien to me and I could use a good hand from someone experienced.
>>
If I were you, I would take my measurements and the formulas in video into the calculation and draw all the pieces on a spreaded pattern paper (maybe newspapers) on the floor, then without trying to scaling the small model I would sew it with pin needles/basting at first. Because overall the model is simple and what would give elegancy is the precise measurements and ironing.
>>
>>906648
The problem is even the measurements don't make sense. Let's take the 2nd and third ones with measurements on an action figure I got (practice making a small one out of scrap fabric before I blow money on the full-sized one going in blind)

A is 3.5cm (11cm waist - 1cm side flaps x4, answer is 7 divided by 2). That's fair enough.

F is A (3.5cm) - 1cm pleats x4 ... -.5cm divided by 2... my answer is negative? How the fuck does that work? Am I being hyper-retarded in basic math here or is there something messed up?

A D, width of hips (11+2 for flaps) divided by 2. 6.5cm - 1cm pleats x4 = 2.5 divided by 2... 1.75cm for the panels? I get that it's larger than negative but what gives?

I can't make heads or tails of how these bloody measurements work on the example she gives. Am I just being denser than nuclear-bunker-tier Lead?
>>
>>906538
I didn't watch the video. Just looked at the pattern printout images.
Take your waist measurement, multiply by 3. = x

Print out second page at 100% size (i.e. no scaling).
Compare waist measurement to length of the printed out waist band (y).

x:y = scaling factor.
Print out both pages again, scaled up to necessary size, tape pages together, cut out, sew.

So for example if your waist is 90cm and the printed out waistband is 20cm:
90*3=270

270:20=13,5
Print out at 13,5 times the size, or 1350%
>>
>>906682
Hold up.. so using that I can ALSO just figure out a ratio to find out how big each pleat is and any other measurement of the template?

Using that, I can essentially just use anyone's measurements, figure out the ratio, scale it and then sew a fitting hakama for anyone. Is that correct?

Does this essentially solve my problem? I may be too thick to understand.
>>
>>906691
Assuming the printout has a correct aspect ratio and the pattern is correct, yes.

Well "fitting for everyone" is a bit of a stretch, since you'd need to adjust the leg length too. But yeah.
>>
>>906695
Let's hope so then. I guess I can always try it on my action figure or one of them wooden modelling puppets.

Thank you so much! It's a bit of a roundabout way to understand but if it works and I'm retarded, well then that's the way it has to be. I hope I can finally get this right, I've been hopelessly trying to understand this shit for hours and I went cross-eyed.
>>
>>906697
>>906695
Ok so, contingency plan (Since I don't have a printer and I'll do the printing tomorrow at the shops). What if the printout/template is NOT at the correct aspect ratio. What then?

I plan on printing out two of each so I can assemble one as per the video and have one unfolded, so I can compare the measurements of each. Can this help me figure out a solution if the aspect ratio turns out to be wonky?
>>
>>906657

3rd poster gave a more clear definition what I tried to explain.

I understand you dont want to blow money on full sized cloth, but working on a 1/1 scrap paper and with an old bed sheet is better than struggling with cms and mms. -- I generally suck at math, I could never scale down the numbers and make a small one, but could sew this.

for a 80 cm waist length;

A would be 80 - (5x4) divided by 2 = "30 cm"
-- I gave C - cavities- 5cms)

F would be 30-8 divided by 2 = "11 cm"

D would be C+F = (the opening length plus not pleated piece) = 5 +11 = "16 cm"

seems legit? maybe I went full retard :D
>>
>>906711
>What if the printout/template is NOT at the correct aspect ratio.
Just lengthen the legs at your leisure. They're straight anyway.

By the way, I think your math turned out ridiculous is because you scaled down shit so much that rounding errors became too big.
>>
>>906712
No you didn't go full retard but 2cm pleats seems horribly small..

Still, that's pretty good! I'm gonna be saving the thread for posterity when it dies.
>>
>>906715
Aha, so it WAS me being retarded then? Good to know, cause that's something I might be able to fix with experience and after "getting it".

I just leave plenty of cloth at the leg in case I need to lengthen in... and THEN cut to size? Well, it would be only for the first to figure out if the ratio is good or not. God I hope it's good, don't want to get stuck on this anytime I forget.
>>
>>906720
Keep us updated!
>>
>>906980
Really? Well, sure! I'll get the template soon and try the ratios/making a miniature one for the figure. If that works, then I suspect the world is my oyster.
>>
>>907146
>Really?
Of course! Post pictures of your progress, what you learned, etc. That's what /diy/ is about, isn't it?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.