[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/ first-time poster here. I've been looking at some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: HighCapacityAssaultRack.jpg (5 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
HighCapacityAssaultRack.jpg
5 KB, 400x400
Hey /diy/ first-time poster here.
I've been looking at some of the stuff you guys tend to do and it looks this board really knows their shit.
I've recently purchased an airgun target box and want to be able to practice indoors because the laws are retarded.
However I'd like something I can move and that doesn't cost too much.
I have two left hands but want to try to make something anyway.
I'm not yet at the point where I'm certain I'm not gonna shoot outside the box.
Any ideas for something that could be made/converted into something that I can move and that can withstand high speed low drag airgun pelets ?
I was thinking of something like a clothes rack on wheels and attempt to put something strong metal plate or wood on it, on which I'd screw in the target box.
Any ideas ? I know you guys can be quite creative and I'd like some inputt here.
>>
Hi, gun enthusiast here. I have a few traps I made for my kids.

Just so it's perfectly clear, are you going to be shooting a pellet rifle or BB gun?

Also, why does the target/trap need to be moved with such a heavy frame? All the ones I have are exceptionally light, and a commercial BB trap I have is literally a foam block with plastic wrap on the outside, with a handle on top. It weighs ounces, not pounds.
>>
>>1020617
>it looks this board really knows their shit
I must have missed those threads.
>>
What kind of pellet are we talking about here? An Airforce Condor is gonna require something different than a little co2 pistol will. A better description of your target box would help too. And are you wanting a pellet trap or just a backstop to take care of the fliers?

It really doesn't take much to stop pellets, and there's loads of designs for pellet stopping contraptions. Something like the rack in your pic with a few layers of carpet hanging off it will stop them surprisingly well. But it would really help to know what exactly you're looking to build and what exactly it's going to have to withstand.
>>
>>1021890
/4chan
>>
File: air_rifle_pellet_catcher.jpg (34 KB, 250x313) Image search: [Google]
air_rifle_pellet_catcher.jpg
34 KB, 250x313
>>1021867
Flathead pellets.
It's more about allowing me to miss the target box as I find at the range that I sometimes still miss it a little, and I intend to do it in the garage and don't want to fuck up the built-in cabinets.

>>1021895
Backstop definitely.
And I don't know what to believe as there are some very powerful airguns.
I used my low powered target pistol to shoot at a wooden palet and it made quite some dents, so in the long run, I would be shooting through the wood, which is not my intention.

I have this small box from Hatsan.
>>
File: target.jpg (15 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
target.jpg
15 KB, 500x500
What about something like this
>>
>>1022165
OK. Since you're going to be shooting at your box trap, and only need the backstop to stop stray misses, I think a hanging fabric backstop would be perfect. All you need is some pieces of fabric however big you want your backstop to be and something to hang them from. Carpet works great, but you could use old clothes or whatever, you would just need more layers and it'd be tougher to get them to cover a large area.

To build it, you could build a frame or modify something so you can hang the pieces of fabric from the top, ideally with a little space between each piece. You want the fabric to be free hanging, because if the fabric is allowed to move with the pellet impacts, each piece will absorb more of the energy of the pellet and slow it down more efficiently. You could also fold the bottoms of each piece up and attach them to the piece before them so the pellets that don't get stuck in the fabric and drop down get caught in the backstop instead of falling all over your floor. You're gonna have to experiment a little to figure out how many layers you'll need for the guns you'll be shooting, but I think you'll be surprised how few that turns out to be.

Wood backstops are not ideal for airguns and I wouldn't try making a sizeable metal one for indoor use. In order to make it safe you have to angle your piece of metal to deflect the pellets downwards instead of bouncing them straight back at you. That means your backstop has to be way bigger and heavier. With a metal backstop you also have splash and dust. The majority of fast moving splash can be contained if you build sides on your backstop, but the dust is tougher to control. Outdoors, this isn't really a problem. Indoors, creating a bunch of lead dust to float around in your air isn't ideal. So a metal backstop wouldnt be a very good choice.
>>
File: 1000 hrs in your mom.png (292 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1000 hrs in your mom.png
292 KB, 2048x1536
>>1022245
Here's a shitty tablet drawing of what I'm talking about.
>>
see if you can locate a used mudflap from an 18 wheeler
hang in from your clothes rack
-done
>>
Plumbers' maite makes a good pellet catcher.
Recently made a trap with it backed with wood.

Stops .22 from a 12fps rifle point blank, and that's with an inch of putty. It's silent too.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.