[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dualshock 2 and a tiny stripped screw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 4L_iL3IYj2Z.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
4L_iL3IYj2Z.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
I pulled out my old PS2 and some of the buttons on the controller weren't working, so I decided to open the thing. I managed to get every screw out except one (circled). I tried firmly pressing down and twisting, then the rubber band trick, and by that point I had managed to completely fuck it. Now there's a hollow pit where the + shape used to be, and I can't remove it. How screwed am I?
I have a Dremel, but the screw is recessed and I'm concerned about potentially damaging the internals of the controller. None of the screw extractor bits I've seen seem to support such small screws either (the head can't be more than 3mm in diameter)
>>
>>904566
carefully drill it out... preferably with a left hand bit if you have one... then fill the pit with some super glue and get a new screw... match the width of the drill bit to that of the existing screws you pulled out.... go slow... use a ring of tape placed on the bit so that you don't drill too far past the depth of the screw (use the ones you pulled out as a reference for how deep that one is)..

again, go slow... patience is key, if you slip the bit and drill the wrong spot it'll make much more work for you...

also the rubber band method is bullshit...
>>
>>904566

Why not go to literally any thrift store and pick up a PS2 controller for pennies on the dollar? I have like 9 of them.
>>
>>904566
>>904569
>dynamite is the obvious answer

yeah, drilling out the center shaft is basically the only option. I don't even know if there are any easy-outs for such small screws.
>>
>>904569
>>904572
Thanks for the answers. By "drilling out the center shaft", do you mean carving a hole through the screw and pulling it out somehow, or shredding the whole thing to bits?
>>
>>904574
use a drillbit the same size in diameter as the screw, shred the existing screw into bits... then fill the hole with something like epoxy, or super glue, that way a new screw will have something to grab on to.
>>
There's nothing near that screw inside except plastic. No pcb or anything. Just go slow and low.
>>
>>904566
Take a soldering iron and heat up the top of the screw till its hot.
then just simply bull the back off
>>
>>904566
1) well done.
2) You've still got some screw head left, so just use the dremel's "tiny-ball" bit, score into it any pattern you like that somewhat resembles something a screwdriver could conceivably drive (I'd stick a trio of holes in the outer ring, a-la the radiation symbol )
3) Get a bic pen, get a lighter, pull out the writing-assembly from the pen. Heat the tip, squish it up into a solid blob of polycarbonate. Don't let it burn. Heat it again, plunge it onto the screw, let it solifidy
4) You now have a driver for that specific screw. Torque it out gently.
>>
Easy-out / Speed-out / damaged screw remover set.

If the hole is really truly too small, get a left-handed drill bit in the proper size. The fastest option is just drilling out the screw with whatever you have handy until the head is destroyed, the second-fastest is getting another DualShock controller for nearly nothing.
>>
>>904784
No, the fastest is >>904652 .

You can even mend the hole by pushing an undamaged screw in, heating it up, and squeezing the post around it.
>>
>>904771
That's fucking brilliant.
>>
>>904771
This. I a video of a guy doing this for opening a gamecube. Especially nice because you need a special triwing screw driver to even open Nintendo products.
>>
just drill the head off of the screw, get a drill bit not quite as big as the biggest part of the head.
then the case will come apart and you will still have a headless screw screwed into the plastic. grab that with pliers and unscrew it.
>>
>>904566
id modify it so i can use a flathead screwdriver
>>
>>905233
Yeah, this is what I did. Turns out the controller has some shorted wire due to being unused for 8+ years so in the end it didn't matter if I opened it up or not...
>>
>>905299
>so in the end it didn't matter
>i tried so haaaaard
>>
Weld a drill bit to it and then attach it to the dill and wall la. Or Solder it.
>>
>>904566
i just did this to my controller, if you place a cut up piece of rubber band over the screw and use the screwdriver it gives it just enough grip to twist it out
>>
>>905299
But you got so far!
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.