[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it safe to place a light bulb in a plain mason jar?i want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
is it safe to place a light bulb in a plain mason jar?i want to build a bedside table lamp using a jar and the fixture of my old lamp, any ideas?
>>
>>1018261
Just use an LED filament bulb.

That's what all the hipster bars do.
>>
>>1018262
ty
>>
>>1018261
Depends on what kind of bulb you use.

Incandescent bulbs can really put off a lot of heat.
Your glass bottle wont care, your metal cap wont care, your fixture wont care.

But there is a chance the bottle will get hot enough to be a problem for your desk.
I have a half sized appliance sized incandescent bulb on my mini drill press, and it makes the body of the drill press get HOT. Ive been trying to replace it its so bad.

It wouldnt look that cool with a CFL bulb in it.

>>1018262
said, there are different options to keep heat down
>>
>>1018262
Standard edison filament bulb $4. LED replica $20-30 (in the USA at least)
>>
>>1018261 Incandescent bulbs work perfectly fine in enclosed fixtures. Just use good ceramic lamp holder and no more than 60w bulb.
>>
>>1018284
quit being fucking poor
>>
>>1018330
quit being a fucking faggot
>>
>>1018330
Only a moron pays $20-30 for a bulb that is sold for $1-3 dollars anywhere else in the world.
>>
>>1018261
Enclosing light bulbs shortens their life span--for both incandescent and LED bulbs--so you don't want to put a high-wattage bulb anywhere that it doesn't have decent air circulation if you can help it.
Low-wattage (40w) shouldn't matter much tho.

If you want to use the antique-style bulbs, they are all low-wattage and don't put out a lot of heat anyway. Plus you can just get a regular in-line dimmer and use that to turn them down even more if you want.

One warning about the incandescent antique-style (long filament) bulbs: they DO NOT like vibration at all.... The tungsten wire is flexible when hot but brittle when cold (off). If you want them to last long, do not subject them to motor vibrations or mechanical shock, at all....

There is now 'antique-style' COB LED bulbs,,,, but they don't look right. If you want this style of bulbs, go buy the real incandescents.
>>
>>1018261
Did you read the sticky?
Google search is encouraged.
>>
>>1018284
>LED replica $20-30 (in the USA at least)
$7 at my local hardware store. You suck at shopping.
>>
>>1018395
Light bulbs have been put in 'jars' and other glass coverings for over 100 years. I'm sure if your point was real, we would've known about it by now.
>>
>>1018261
as long as its a filament bulb, ya sure, fine. you only have to worry about heat with bulbs that have electronic components in them such as led and clf lamps which have such parts in them that are heat sensitive.
>>
>>1018751

this is how my redneck driveway lights are exactly
>>
File: 377839-500x500.jpg (40 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
377839-500x500.jpg
40 KB, 500x500
I recognise that jar.
>>
>>1018284

>$4 for incandescent light bulb
>$30 for LED replica

Where the fuck are you shopping? I'll grant that my local hardware stores don't carry LED filament bulbs, but the incandescents are nowhere near that expensive. And the filament bulbs?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Vintage-Retro-Edison-E27-2W-8W-Screw-LED-Filament-Light-Bulb-ST64-Globe-Lamp-/252450034123?var=&hash=item3ac731d1cb:m:m5ptSnhXM3Fm4jQ7AbTgExg

Literally $5. From a US seller, even.
>>
>>1019155
Trust the people of 4chan to recognize the weirdest of thins.
>>
>>1020100
not as impressive as "I recognise that blowjob" and "I recognise that bulge"
>>
>>1020100
How do people on this site do this?
>>
>>1020146
pls not again, I almost killed my dog laughing
>>
maybe drill several holes in the jar's lid to allow at least some airflow into and out of the glass jar...
>>
>>1018284
So what?

The LED bulb will last more than six times as long, so even if it didn't use a fifth of the power, you still save money.
>>
>>1020177
In my country they made using low energy bulbs law, they handed them out to homes for free.
After a year guess what the energy companies did?
They put the bills up.

They now charge us more to use less.
>>
File: $_35.jpg (13 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
13 KB, 225x300
I work in an electrical wholesaler, this antique LED bulb is sold for £5.95
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.