[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moss!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: Snapchat-162652492681992799.jpg (510 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-162652492681992799.jpg
510 KB, 1080x1920
Hey /diy/, I want to purify my home's air. I've heard moss is a good way to do that as well as being a nice ease into horticulture. I have a question though, I've blended moss up along with adding milk to the mixture and applied it to some pieces of wood I've found around my neighbourhood. How often do I water the moss? It's quite dry and I'm afraid to water it too much and get mold/rot.

Also, I believe the moss I've applied to the wood is pleurocarpous. If that's any help

Pic related (plate is kept in indirect sunlight)

Thanks
>>
>>1017541
>being a nice ease into horticulture
kek

you'd have to be really really bad to actually kill moss
>>
Some constructive input would be appreciated!
>>
>>1017660
Wild moss in a blender with milk and water, paint it on some kind of substrate. Wood, rock, whatever. If it doesn't hold moisture well (like a rock) use a spray bottle from walmart or something to mist it with water to keep it MOIST but not dripping wet. This is because moss is not technically a plant and has no root system and so can only thrive in damp areas. Keep it out of direct sunlight (or limit the direct sunlight) and around room temp. If it dries out it will either outright die or do dormant. Don't water it, mist it with a bottle. Remember, if you're seeing droplets of water you've mist too much and might encourage mold or something during the early stages of growing your moss. If you want more moss, keep in mind that moss produces SPORES not SPEEDS which spreads by water.
>>
>>1017541
Moss doest purify the air very well since its metabolism is so slow compared to even low light plants

You want indoor (low light) plants. Fortunately NASA has done all the leg work for you.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Clean_Air_Study

Most of of the plants on the list are incredibly hardy and difficult to kill. Philodendruns for example grow aerially in rainforests and rarely reach the rainforest floor, instead putting their roots out into the air. As long as you keep the soil wet in the pot that its growing in it will grow and grow and grow and grow. No need to repot it, no need to fertilize it (which can actually hurt philos). And as I commented in another thread the established Philos in my bathroom haven't even had a pot in six years.

The NASA study showed that 1 plant per 100 square feet was very effective at cleaning contaminates the from the air. So for the average house, one plant per room or there abouts.
>>
>>1017541
>I want to purify my home's air
clean your house, get a dyson vacuum cleaner (no, really)
>I've heard moss is a good way to do that
if you have about the amount of moss as is present in the Taiga, then okay, otherwise you heard wrong. clean your house with a vacuum cleaner every 3 days.
>>
>>1017687
>dyson
lol
anything but dyson
>>
>>1017720
If you never had one/ could afford one, fuck off.
>>
>>1018484
It's hugely overpriced rubbish, it doesnt even do better jobs than cheaper filter bag ones
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.