[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
21 year old guy here. How do I learn how to do things like this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 2015.jpg (124 KB, 600x801) Image search: [Google]
2015.jpg
124 KB, 600x801
21 year old guy here.

How do I learn how to do things like this? How do I learn to create things and repair? I have no father figure and never learned these things. What tools should I have, where should I begin? What kinds of projects should I start with?

Thank you for all advice!
>>
>>1016452
I don't know dude, about repairs, take something easy to take apart and clean it, like a Super Nintendo controller, then slowly go for more complex stuff. If you are looking to learn how to make stuff, just find something you think is cool, like knifes for example, and go make some, watch how-to youtube videos and tutorials. Some tools I would recomend for general pourposes are: protection glasses, an angle grinder, a dremel, files, sandpaper, 10 minute epoxy glue, a drill and lots of scrap parts.
>>
at your age i was in the same situation. get a screwdriver and take things apart. what would you like to do?
- electronics? go look for kits at aliexpress and get whatever strikes your fancy and the basic tools you'll need. cheap soldering iron and solder, some snips. buy the cheapest stuff, if you'll like it you'll soon figure out which things you'll need.
- wood stuff? get some wood, make a box, look for tutorials.
- music? take apart a guitar, an amp, whatever you get your hands on.

- go to a flea market/garage sale, get anything you want to know about take it apart, google it.

i understand you'd like to know everything at once, but you'll soon find stuff that will interest you more that other things, you'll find what you'll find more fun to learn more about. if you don't know what you want, try to get the cheapest shit, tools... at that age you can't afford to go for quality whey you're asking a question like this.
>>
>>1016452
>things like this?
we cannot see what you are pointing at

>What kinds of projects should I start with?
the obvious answer would be things that need repair
>>
>>1016452
Without a more focused idea of what it is you want to do, no one can really help you. If you just want to be a handyman and repair things, then it really is a case of crossing bridges as you come to them.

As an example, I'm trying to design a display cabinet. The original idea was oak and tempered glass (the basis of most professional looking cabinets).
From there I've got to figure out a design that's within size constraints, has structural integrity and can be made (or bought cut to size) and assembled with basic tools (which also determines which tools you need to get) and experience. I've got to figure out methods of construction and learn any new skills. And I've got to source the materials.
The material is the easy part, but it turns out that oak in low quantities and tempered glass is REALLY expensive so I've got to use something like melamine board and acrylic. These new materials however create new structural requirements (chip board is not that strong and has more flex to it, acrylic is also weak and flexible) and so now I've had to completely rethink my design.

I've got no experience doing any of this before, I'm completely untrained, but just simply having a requirement that starts a project, lead to a couple of days of internet research and I now know a lot more than I started with. And all thins only concerns woodwork.

Find something to make or fix and then go from there. Google is you friend.
>>
>>1016495
Use pine not chipboard famalam
>>
>>1016497
Needs to be oak effect to match the rest of the room. I'm doubtful I'll be able to find oak effect pine cut to size and the iron on stuff sounds like a pain in the ass. I know Ikea uses chipboard in their large book cases.
>>
Do things like...hide shit in hentai?
>>
>>1016495
Oak plywood m8, use joints or veneer to cover the edges.
>>
OP here. Mostly mean in wood work if that helps anything.

I greatly appreciate all the responses so far.
>>
>>1016548
You can start by reading any book on carpentry/woodworking. There's thousands of them, literally. Here have some older ones(Modern ones are literally same stuf, but including power tools which I assume you don't have and won't have since they're preatty costly)
https://archive.org/stream/manualtrainingel00kilb#page/n5/mode/2up
https://archive.org/stream/woodworkingtool00bostgoog#page/n6/mode/2up

Also, here's probably best YT channel on woodworking you can find:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PaulSellersWoodwork
Read through the books, watch Paul, to see this knowledge in practise and start working. One of the books I linked you is lessons step-by-step so it might be a strat if don't know what to make. Or just buy/borrow/torrent other similar book, as I mentioned ther are thousands of them.

As for tools the most basic setup I can think of is this (assuming you don't have anything):
-saw
-jack plane (No. 5 or wooden plane of similar size)
-flat chisel (or 2: one wider, let's say 20 or 25mm second smaller 8mm.)
-3-4 bar clamps
-hammer
-Marking tools: sharp pencil and some kind of measure. You can use saw for making longer straight lines. Usually saw handels also alow you to make 90' and 45' degrees markings
-sand paper for sharpening

Get wood from palletes, building deconstructions or craigslists. Clamp piece of wood to your desk/table, plane it and make whatever you want. With tools I listed it would be hard to make things precisely, but it's enough to start and familiarize you with how tools work, how to sharpen them or how wood works.
>>
>>1016452
OP I'm the same age as you & ended up as an apprentic mechanic so you can do whatever you set your mind to. You just gotta get over the stigma of taking stuff apart.

When I was young my grandad went to yard sales and brought me 2nd hand RC toys, when they inevitably stopped working I smashed them before putting them in the trash. As I got older I switched to tools to pick junk apart - you learn much more than I can ever say by just pulling things apart. My first experiance in highschool auto shop was just stripping old 5 series bmw's to bare shells.

Go to a dumpster or a thrift store and grab somthing interesting but simple like other anons said (think toaster, VCR, drill, etc.) and don't worry about putting it together. Let it be fun. The rest will come.
>>
>>1016548
>>1017197
Sorry just reread that, I can't really help with wood working OP.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.