[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I found this guitar in the trash, looks like someone tried to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: Trash Guitar.jpg (896 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Trash Guitar.jpg
896 KB, 2560x1440
I found this guitar in the trash, looks like someone tried to repair it and tossed it.

it looks like it was sanded but there are uneven spots of the fiberglass.

how could I go about refurbishing the thing?
>>
Good god that's a mess.

It would depend on the extent of the damage and how much is inside the body, and whether or not the resin (if that is indeed resin) has wrecked the sound.
>>
>>1007533
Paint it black. Car paint should be good, but even generic spray paint should do the job. Let it cure for a few days, then get an aerosol can of minwax lacquer(just saying this cause it's easy to find, if you can find something nicer go for it).

Just remember, lacquer is full of solvents and can cause neurological damage through inhalation, spray outside or in a room with an open door or window, but every couple minutes step outside. But, also consider that while the lacquer is wet anything that touches it will stick(dirt, leaves, bird shit, live bugs). But lacquer dries pretty fast.

Also, lacquer doesn't play well with some paints, enamel and acrylics for one. If you wait for them to cure and do very light coats you should be good. But that's why I suggested car paint, cars have clear coats put over their paint. Paint designed for muscle cars will be at to take lacquer, because lacquer was used on a lot of those muscle cars when they were on the line.

If you have access to a spray gun use that, if not use spray cans, if you don't want to do that you could probably wipe both on with a lint free rag. Don't brush, even if you're great at it you'll see brush marks.

If you can, put 10 to 14 coats of lacquer on. This will allow you to buff out the finish to a high gloss after its cured for a month.
>>
>>1007541
Most importantly, make sure it works first. Get a set of strings, slap them on, check action, intonation, and buzz.

And to be completely honest that looks like a cheap guitar. Just because all the binding is painted on. But, if it sounds good, if it plays good, go for it. I'd hate to see you drop $50 in something you're never going to use, unless you plan on doing this again, better to practice refinishing on a crap guitar than a more valuable instrument.
>>
>>1007533
Might as go all the way and turn it into a rat guitar, kinda like a rat rod.

On a completely different note, I found a brand new skateboard in the dumpster today!?
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.