[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys I bought this air wrench on eBay. I don't have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: s-l1600 (1).jpg (1 MB, 2876x1802) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600 (1).jpg
1 MB, 2876x1802
Hey guys I bought this air wrench on eBay. I don't have it in hand yet. Dun goofed I know. I was informed after I bought it that there's no way to tell the condition of air tools unless you have it in hand, since you can't see if it's been well lubed throughout its use.

What condition do you think it's in?

Are tools used in professional environments (like this one I bought) typically well maintained and lubricated until they decommission them? I'm hoping that this gun was run on a lubricated line but now I'm afraid I wasted my money.
>>
We can't really tell by looking at a photo.

You have to ask why is it being sold? Personally if I had a good working solid tool I wouldn't have a need to sell it. Even if it got little use, the amount you'd potentially lose on its resale for me would be more than enough reason just to put it in the tool shed. Unless its bankrupt stock of course.

If it's been used professionally however, a good indication of its user would be it's new price, there's a chance while it would be lubed and serviced, people who work for companies don't really take too much care of tools because they haven't had do buy it.

You just gotta hope you did good.
>>
>>1008749
Thankfully air tools can often be refurbished pretty easily, and can tolerate a lot of abuse, and mid-range ones aren't particularly expensive compared to electric tools.
>>
Pros don't get rid of their tools until they're on the verge of falling apart and held together by baling wire and guerilla glue and can no longer deliver reliable service. Then they either give them to the new guy as a practical joke or they sell them to n00bs on eBay.

Long story short, you're fucked.

t. Pro
>>
>>1008749
Well right off the bat you're going to need a fitting by the looks of it; wrenches to put it in.
You can buy specific lubricant for air tools so definitely pick that up and just pour it in the air feed before trying to use it. I would put in roughly 20ml.
I have an air gun from the 70s that never misses a beat so some can last forever and some can last a week regardless of variables.
>>
how much?

could have gotten an earthquake from HF for $80; according to places such as garage journal, that's one of the best things they sell
>>
>>1008761
This.

I always get the mechanics to give me their air tools they are replacing. Someties they are still good but mostly need internals refurbed as they are a bit leaky and dobt perform well.

I get them for free and sell them to retards on ebay.
>>
>>1008800
This one has apparently has double the rated torque of the HF Earthquake @1200 ft/lbs and is the most powerful 1/2" pneumatic you can get...and I trust Proto's spec sheet more than HF by a long shot.

I mainly got this gun so I would have no trouble removing a Honda crank bolt --- I heard it can be a showstopper when people try to do timing belt jobs themselves.
>>
>>1008812
>Honda crank bolt

you can't just put a breaker bar and tap the starter?
>>
>>1008800
>>1008812
Sorry, forgot to mention I paid $90 for it. If it works I got a screaming deal, if it's fucked, well I'm fucked.
>>
Ok, professional here. Use my air tools daily.
As someone already mentioned they make special oil for air tools but most mechanics use ATF tranny fluid or even marval mystery oil. They recommend oiling daily but to be honest if I remember to oil it every 2-3 months I'd be surprised. I've been using the same 1/2 impact that someone gave me second hand since 1986. When I got it I sent it out for its one and only rebuild and the guy who worked on it then said it was so old had never seen that model before.
Anyway don't over stress if it was lubed daily.
You seem overly stressed about the ratings of the gun. Do you even have a big enough compressor to drive it? The bigger the tool the more pressure and volume you need to drive it. This tool isn't going to do anything with some home hobbyist or nailgun compressor.
As far as are you fucked, if the tool is listed as in good working condition and it isn't when it arrives, the seller by ebay rules is obligated to take it back weather his ad says no returns or not.
If he refuses to accept return open a case with the resolution center on ebay. They almost always side with the buyer. Ebay has way more sellers than buyers and do anything to protect their reputation and attract more buyers. In fact the way it is set up is, if he doesn't give you a refund paypal will and then chase him for the money.
Personally I'd never buy a plastic impact gun, but plenty of people do and are happy with them. And I'll admit the newer ones are more powerful than mine.
>>
ebay seller here. You never know how the seller acquired the tool. Could be the original owner or a reseller.

On the bright side, if the item was not listed as for parts on ebay, you are at no risk. Test it when you get it, if it's in bad shape, you return it because it is broken.
>>
>>1008812
if you run that gun on a 1/4" curly hose it'll only make about 100ftlb. seriously, it will act like a cordless with a flat battery.
to get the full performance of the gun you'll want large bore hose (up to 50ft:3/8", 100ft:1/2") and high flow quick connectors.

if you got a hobby compressor, unscrew an inspection bung and plumb the hose straight into the tank, bypassing the regulator/manifold/water trap.
>>
File: 43245235524354.jpg (49 KB, 500x299) Image search: [Google]
43245235524354.jpg
49 KB, 500x299
>>1008814
>put it on a breaker bar and tap the starter
>>
>>1009192
That's how I ended up getting my 4AGE crank pulley bolt loose. Breaker bar with pipe wouldn't budge it.
>>
>>1008812
>>1008814
>>1009192
>>1009204
The starter trick doesn't work on D-series engines. They are set up ass-backwards, crank pulley on driver's side, turning CCW. That's probably why the damn nut is so hard to break loose to begin with...

I've gotten mine loose twice with a 16" breaker bar and my man strength, but it's definitely a tough one.

The rest of the job is easy, as long as your engine mount nuts don't break loose inside the frame, like mine did.
>>
>>1009215

The you just put the bar on the other side
>>
>>1009061
>oil every day
Inline oiler mah nigga
>>
File: no.jpg (90 KB, 645x449) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
90 KB, 645x449
>>1009253
No matter where you put the bar, the opposite of anticlockwise, is clockwise.
>>
>>1009061
. . . it's called inline lubrication dude. never ever have to lube.
>>
>>1008761
Or unless they are on the verge of going broke. which sucks, but I've gotten a lot of mint tools this way.

that being said, it is impossible to tell based on E bay picture, so basically OP, you're probably fucked.
>>
>>1009185
I have a 3/8" 50' hose and Milton V fittings all around.

The V fittings made the most difference. Compared to the regular 1/4" I/M fittings the difference was night and day even with my $20 Harbor Freight 200 ft lbs gun.
>>
>>1009215
For my d16, I bought the longest, meanest looking breaker-bar in sears and slipped an 8-foot long pipe over it. Mine was bad enough that I sat (full 200lbs, no feet on the gound) in the middle and it didn't budge. Easily the worst nut i've ever dealt with.
Also, same problem with the lower engine mount that attaches to the AC, im at 20k miles with a missing mount.
>>
>>1009374
I'm surprised. Mine was tough, but it broke loose on my second tug with just the bar. I just propped the extension up on a jackstand and popped it loose.

For the lower mount, I cut a big ugly hole in the side of the frame with a cutoff tool, and put some bigarse grade 8 nuts in place of the tiny shit ones the car came with. I still haven't welded that hole shut, but the rest of the car will probably rust in half before that's a real problem.

I saw too many horror stories of people crushing their transmissions because of the engine rolling during acceleration without that front mount.
>>
>>1009261
First garage I worked in was my father's in the 70s when I was 10. Can't remember how many places I've worked over the years but I've never worked anywhere that had inline oiling, nigger.
I do metal fabrication on hot rods, race cars and motorcycles now. We're running plasma cutters and blast cabinets off the air as well as other tools that would be fucked with an inline oiler.
>>
ayy lmao

Mac confirmed for Harbor Freight on wheels
>>
>>1009456
Mac lets Stanley make their hammers.
They are the worst of the Box Truck brands for sure.
>>
>>1009441
Fuck an inline oiler on supply piping. That's all kinds of stupid except in very specific production situations.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.