[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a few nice lil carbon fiber splinters in my finger. (Was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
I have a few nice lil carbon fiber splinters in my finger. (Was a dumb fuck and grabbed a part) Barely visible.

drew a dot of blood when I tried to dig one out.

Am I gonna die? Don't know how to get these little shits out and I don't want to spend my day tomorrow at urgent care.
>>
AFAIK carbon fiber is nontoxic and your body will push them out anyways if they're not lodged too deep. Are they all projecting outside your outmost layer of skin?
>>
ive head a story that some guy got a CF splinter in his bloodstream, somehow it made its way to his heart and he died or something.
no fucking idea if ture.
>>
>>1003947

For the most part. They're on the left thumb, on the inside of the thumb next to the web. Can't feel them, but I can see them. There was a longer one that got lodged in there, was able to get most of it out but there's still a bit remaining. (Literally a single strand)

I've gotten all sorts of weird shit in my body from raw porcelain to lacquer paint in my eyes so I mean it's anyone's guess

>>1003948

If this was true we'd see a lot of motherfuckers with fiberglass splinters up and die as well I think.
>>
>>1003948
>>1003950
Splinters that are fully lodged below your skin can definitely work their way further into you. They can hit nerves, veins, arteries, etc.
>for the most part
You probably won't have any longterm problems but you should try to get them all out.
>>
>>1003939
But blue metilene on the afected area. It won't do shit health wise but you will be able to see the fibers better. Use magnifing glass and tweezers to get them all out.
>>
I get copper lodged in my fingers all the time, as well as fiberglass from those little brushes (Electrical engineer, repairing shitty old electronics comes with such hazards).

I usually go in with a new stanley knife blade and slice them out. I can't imagine CF will be much different in terms of extraction. The short term mild pain is worth not having that stinging, itching sensation for days on end. As long as you've had a tetanus booster some time in the last 10 years you will be fine.
>>
Get a sharp Stanley blade and start digging mate.
>>
>>1003967
OP's going to have to amputate.
>>
>>1003975
I love a good old amputation.
>>
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 268x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 268x300
Better than any knife blade. Really.
>>
If you can see the fiber poking past your skin, get some of these

Rub them in and rip them off, against the angle that the fiber is in your skin.

This is what we use for when fiber optic cable gets stuck in you
>>
>>1004153
Fibre splinters are the worst thing ever. I'm pretty sure I still have a small one in my left index finger that will be there until the day I die, it's too deep for me to comfortably cut it out.
>>
This might not help you at all but I ran an industrial sandblaster across my thumb once, and then burned the same thumb in the exact same spot a couple of days later.
I had problems with that thumb drying out a splitting for 8 months afterward. Had to wear a band aid for work but if i left it on it would get worse. If i took it off for too long it would get worse.
Tried every lotion and ointment under the sun.
Started putting olive oil on it and it started getting betterand within a week I could see and feel the sand finally coming out. It's been fine now for 6 months.
>>
put glue on your finger and rip it off when it dries
>>
Use a hypodermic needle to "dig" it out.
You can scrape the needle across the skin and it does a very good job of ripping the skin off without much damage.
Find a new needle from someone with the beetus.
>>
>>1004345
This.
>>1004147
And this. Both the same string pretty much. They're called blood lanclets
>>
Before you start to dig, apply airtight bandage for a night. Just put lotion on the skin and wrap your thumb with airtoght plastic foil or whatever you have, the point is it has to be airtight. Your skin will get pretty soft after a night, some of the shorter splinters might get out on their own.
>>
>>1004336

Olive oil is indeed amazing for the body.
>>
File: GitOuttaMe.jpg (54 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
GitOuttaMe.jpg
54 KB, 384x384
>>1003939
Frigging amazed nobody has said magnoplasm yet. I prefer "bring on the puss" over "rip and tear"
>>
cut it out you fag.
>>
>>1004509
Not everyone lives in straya. Don't know where I'd get that here in burgerland.
I'd love to have some to get some metal flecks I have in my fingers.
>>
>>1006021
Its basically just epsom salts?
>>
Wait until it rots out.
>>
File: needle.png (93 KB, 922x768) Image search: [Google]
needle.png
93 KB, 922x768
Am I the only one who got the needle treatment as a kid to pick out subdurmal thorns?

OP, just take one of these (a thin delicate sewing needle), put it through a flame and then through rubbing alcohol, and literally pick your skin at the spot when the CF thread is under with the needle until skin breaks and exposes an end (do this under a strong light); then take a small pair of those cosmetic pliers (forgot the name) and take it out. It will hurt but you're not a fucking child or a bitch so just grit your teeth and pull the fucker out. Will it kill you if it stays there? I don't know. Would I take the risk? No fucking way, 5 minutes with a needle and it's out.
>>
>>1006021
I'm Canadian and we had this stuff when I was a kid. I think artistic painters use it for something
>>
>>1003939
just use a wax strip, if this does not work wait until your body pushes it out. since they are not outside your skin it should not hurt untill they come out.

This is what we do when people come in to the ER with small splinters like cactus/ other fiber splinters
>>
>>1003939
>Am I gonna die?
you should for being such:
> I don't want to spend my day tomorrow at urgent care.
>urgent care.
pussy
>>
hardware store has pack of 100 razor blades made just for this kind of infection
just dig in . it wont take more than 12 of them at most.
>>
>>1003939
dying from splinters is extremely rare. Our bodies generally calcify anything that remains inside our bodies that isn't supposed to be there that doesn't get infected and pop out that way. Some women have even been found with calcified or mummified fetuses in their bodies from getting pregnant outside the womb, kind of interesting if you look it up. You could also try soaking your hand in a salt and water mixture to see if it helps push them out as the skin shrinks.
>>
>>1006184
>cosmetic pliers
Lel, tweezers?
>>
>>1006867
y-yes... those.
>>
>>1003939
Jesus christ, theres a lot of wrong info in this thread. OP, CF splinters are not like fibreglass splinters, they don't surface by themself and are a pain in the ass to get out. they aren't like what most other spinters people are comparing them to, as they just fracture if you pull on them. either get ready to slice your hand up like no-ones business, or go to the damn ER, and wear some gloves next time you go stroking the edge of a CF part
>>
>>1006891
Jesus

Look at my hand probably 5-10 wood splinters all in different stages of growing out.

Yep.
>>
>>1003939
When I was about 17 I found a bunch of carbon fibre cut-offs outside a body shop for cars. They were obviously not being used so I took a bunch and stuck them in my trouser pocket because I'm a freaking idiot. Got a bunch of FB splinters in my leg and it itched for weeks and hurt if I rubbed that area too much. But it whent away by itself after a while. You should be fine.
>>
>>1003939
OP go to a fucking doctor. Medical help should not be sought on a board for fixing houses and building robots. If the CF was dirty you might not get tetanus but you could develop infection even if you cleaned the wound properly. I've seen guys missing fingers because they got a metal flake too small to see and said meh, no big.
>>
File: Ichthammol.jpg (12 KB, 325x224) Image search: [Google]
Ichthammol.jpg
12 KB, 325x224
>>1006021
Burger here, our version is called ichthammol. Its thick like tar and smells like shit, but it works well enough. Get it at grocery stores and pharmacies.
>>
Not sure if this has been posted, but every time i get any kind of splinter stuck in me, i just pour some white glue over the area and wait for it to dry, then just peel it off and the splinters come off with it.
>>
Oh yeah! I got a tiny piece of copper wire stuck in the ball of my foot a few years ago. Like a single strand of a multi-strand AWG18 wire. Just a millimeter or two long, and I didn't even feel it going in. Over a few days it started to hurt like a motherfucker and I could barely walk.

Upon very close examination with magnifying glass etc I could actually see it. I then took the manly/retarded approach and extracted it using an x-acto knife and some tweezers. After that I applied generous amounts of isopropyl alcohol and chlorhexidine and put a band aid on it.

I find it sort of fascinating how such a tiny, tiny piece of copper fucked my whole foot up.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.