[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help im freezing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: VWmKV_f-thumbnail-100-0.jpg (366 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
VWmKV_f-thumbnail-100-0.jpg
366 KB, 500x400
Winter came early, my air conditioner that was supposed to heat my bedroom broke, then the radiator broke and now all I have is an ancient heater that I have to turn off before going to sleep
>>
>>1006991
Wool blankets. Over you and under you. And large testicles. Either find a pair for yourself or get someone with a pair to share your bed.
>>
you have 2 options, use more blankets, and different kinds of blankets, wool filled quilts are awesome, but thick fleece blankets are pretty damn good too, get the queen sized ones and fold it in half and get in between it like a taco, put a thick plush comforter under a thick heavy blanket on top,, you'll be toasty as long as it doesn't go under freezing

if it does get below zero c, get a winter camping sleeping bag, you'll feel weird at first but you'll stay warm

if you want to be up and around, you need winter clothing, honestly sleep with them to keep them warm, fleece sweaters and fleece sweat pants, and wool socks, and a nice thick beanie or two
with thermal underwear will keep you warm, maybe a second pair of socks under the wool ones, and maybe another set outside to really insulate you from the cold

my room doesn't have a heat in it at all, my room is an uninsulated garage, you get used to the cold eventually, and you learn to stay warm, also you want to keep your feet off the cold ground as much as possible, while sitting at a desk get a foot stool or even a cardboard box

if you want to go full sperg mode, make a sleeping box that's fully insulated but you'll need to put vents in so you don't suffocate yourself, and put a tiny heater in there and put it on before you go to sleep, get it nice and toasty, turn it off and go to sleep
>>
Fixing radiator or reverse cycle air con not an option?
>>
>>1007003
It burned, exploded and melted a little. I dobut there is fixing it
>>
File: IMG_20160611_032909278.jpg (995 KB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160611_032909278.jpg
995 KB, 2592x1456
>>1007002
I have been sleeping during the day because I'm not supposed to keep the heater running while I sleep
Is there any way to keep the cold from getting in, this is my window, there was supposed to be a bigger window there but they took it away
>>
>>1007005
Getting a quote to fix it wouldn't hurt,
>>
>>1007008
thick heavy blanket hung over the window and door are old tricks, also blocking drafts with long thin bags of sand help

adding any kind of thermal mass to your bed will help, like more blankets over and under you, also using an electric blanket to warm up your bed before you get in it help a ton, just don't sleep with it
you can use sand filled microwaveale heating pads to do the same thing and sleep with them if you want
>>
>>1007012
i should mention on the super cold nights, i've used a cast iron skillet warmed on the stove with water in it, dump the water out and run warm water where it was over the burner, and use that to warm up my bed before i got in it

that or do the tantrum trick where you cover yourself in the blankets in the bed, and keep moving until the bed is warm, then go to sleep
>>
File: boiling stones4.jpg (84 KB, 432x324) Image search: [Google]
boiling stones4.jpg
84 KB, 432x324
>>1007012
>thick heavy blanket hung over the window and door are old tricks
Fucking this. I used some old uhaul blankets folded over 2-3 times to insulate the windows. I swear that made my room 20 degrees warmer in winter.

Another thing you can do is heat stones in the stove of an outdoor fire, and use them to store/radiate heat.
>>
A shit load of candles.
>>
Is it just your bedroom that is freezing?
Blankets, you need lots of them, preferably wool, insulate your windows with whatever you can, if you dont have lined curtains then get some, get a hot water bottle, seal any drafts into the room and get a plug in timer for the heater(I assume its electric).
>>
some inovative somalians in my town, NDfag here
when their heat wasn't turned on as they didn't know how to use a thermostat
they burned all the cabents and baseboards and a pile of flammable garbage in the middle of the living room
then they ripped the fire alarms out of the walls
and then they cracked the windows to let the smoke out
North Dakota where it gets -20 f in the winter

thank god that apartments cannot refuse those who are relocated here and given gov subsidies for rent they would have been homeless.
>>
>>1007619
>North Dakota where it gets -20 f in the winter
confirming i never want to move there, fuck that level of cold
>>
>>1007619
I say that's impressive they didn't burn the place down
>>
>>1007667
You haven't lived until you run out to get the mail in a tshirt in the morning when it's almost 30 below. Adds a month to your life each time from the invigoration alone.
>>
File: Finland_is_a_pretty_cool_guy.jpg (3 MB, 1680x3906) Image search: [Google]
Finland_is_a_pretty_cool_guy.jpg
3 MB, 1680x3906
>>1007667
>>1007677
nigga pls
>>
Send some of that cold my way. Arizona is gonna cook next weekend
>>
>>1007693
i said i don't want to live there, and i ain't white

lol non-mexican mexican, i'm used to tropical climates, bet you fags can't hang with the heat i can, like i can't hang with the cold like you can
>>
>>1007712
Keep in mind it might be -20 below temperature wise but with wind that shit gets even worse.

>bet you fags can't handle the heat

Lol ok it gets just as hot and humid as it does cold. Welcome to the Great Plains
>>
>>1007619
>>1007667
>>1007669

lived around some of "them" ever so briefly one year.

>during the winter
>apartment is like 80 F
>we don't even have the heat on
>somalians downstairs wont turn their heat off
>crack windows with it -20f out
>roommate doesn't cover his radiator and actually vents cold air over it as it is not running
>pipe burst
>entire apartment sauna now with hot water flooding roommates room
>he calls maintenance
>he gets new carpet for free while i get fined for "stains" when we move out
>somalians still don't turn down their heat
>apartment managers post a warning for people to not to open windows when it is below freezing out.
>its still 80 f in my apartment
>cover radiator with blanket and go for it
>best feel ever
>nice freezing cold draft in a hot as fuck apartment
>like waling in to a big ass industrial freezer on a hot day

but seriously folks why the fuck would you move assholes that live in the middle of a desert to ND? i guess Bill Clinton thought we where too white up here.
>>
>>1007759
mostly how cheap the cost of living is there, moving them to california and paying their rent is 10 times as much as here in california

at that point i would just go to the newspaper about how your neighbors are so wasteful, liberals would be over them so quick then a clusterfuck happens about them being foreign, it would be funny as hell to see where the ashes settle
>>
>>1007712
It was 95 F here the past two days. I've seen it get to 109.

The lowest temp I've seen in the winter (excluding windchill) was -42

That is over 150 degrees of temperature difference. So please, tell me about how it gets a whole 4 degrees hotter there.

>>1007759
I live in an apartment building with mostly Somalians. I'm on the top floor. My heating bill in the winter amounts to pennies. Plus I have to keep my window open all year due to sinus infections so it works out perfect.

They're also the most quiet neighbors fucking ever. The white guy down the hall plays loud video games sometimes, the natives argue loudly at least once a month. The only peep I've heard from the one that shares a wall with me is their closet door shutting. That is it in three years. Same with the people below me. Never hear a peep except their door slamming shut every once in a while which all the doors do here.

>>1007767
Sorry but political correctness trumps wastefulness (and just about everything else) to liberals.
>>
>>1007808
why the fuck do you live there other than it being cheap and you were born there? sounds like a place too shitty to even pass through on a road trip
>>
>>1007821
>Not earning dat cheddar on the gas fields
>>
File: 1409255299480.jpg (9 KB, 148x189) Image search: [Google]
1409255299480.jpg
9 KB, 148x189
>>1007825
>mfw earning just as much sitting in an air conditioned office and living a mile from the ocean. . .
>>
>>1007830
Yeah but his cost of living is probably less than half of what yours is.
>>
File: 1428519639334.gif (53 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1428519639334.gif
53 KB, 320x240
>>1007836
yea, but i'm way more than half as close to an ocean so my cost to benefit is still higher
>>
Light bulb under a clay flower planter. Radiant heater.
>>
>>1007830
You know they get like $70-150k for six months of work right?
>>
>>1007867
fuck living in a shit hole for $140 a year, no wonder middle america is nothing but 3rd world flyover states
>>
>>1007876
well i like it here there are few libshits but they started flocking here after our economy didn't tank in the housing bubble/ when the oil boom happend. of couce after microshit moved an office up here and relocated a bunch of programmers/ marketing teams up here... libshits are far more common. and its just about every fucking year where they get some stupid law change to be put on the ballot. like one where they wanted to ban yes BAN flied dressing deer. in favor of having to haul out the whole carcass guts and all and drive it to a vet so they would gut the deer for you. oh and another one which would have effectively made owning horses illegal, by mandating that farmers not have their stables next to their houses or any other building. these bullshit measures usually get voted down but now they have been fucking with the wording of the new laws that we "need" as they are put on the ballot.

but honestly the people here are like some last remnant of what america used to be. people who want to be left the fuck alone, that want to work hard and keep in touch with family.
>>
>>1007821
Because I love the cold and hate the heat. Unfortunately the only way to really avoid heat is to move up to the arctic circle.

I'm a MN fag btw. I live in Minneapolis/St.Paul. I wasn't born here.

>>1007830
The ocean fucking sucks. Give me a lake or a pool any day of the week. Plus we don't get our houses raped by hurricanes several times a year.

>>1007836
I live in the city so my housing isn't cheap compared to the country, but this area is considered cheap compared to large costal cities. My rent is $800/month for a 2 bedroom that is 1/8th of a mile from the Mississippi river and within short walking distance to 1200 acres of park.

Plus I own land with family in Northern Minnesota that houses a large cabin and steel pole building (that family parks campers and RV's in) where we have access to a non-publicly accessible lake. Plus a sect of detached land that we use for hunting.

Basically I like nature and the cold. I am self employed and could move to wherever I wanted but I choose here because it's about the nicest place I've ever been.
>>
>>1007014
This guy can't even get himself warm in winter, you really think he's not going to burn his house down by heating stones and bringing them in his bedroom while he sleeps?
>>
>>1006991
OP, They have electrical heating blankets. Get one of these, and wrap yourself in other blankets so as to conserve the heat. They have different heat settings and are relatively cheap. They sell them at every Walmart, wallgreens, etc. Also, if it is that damn cold, go to bed with a sock hat or beanie on, your head is where you lose the most heat from.

Fuck heat, I don't turn my heater on not once during the winter, my electric bill is 10$. I wrap up, and walk around fully clothed and it works just fine. IN FUCKING MINNESOTA.

So OP, grow a pair, grow a brain, and fix your fucking radiator.
>>
>>1008184
What do you do anon that allows this glorious freedom?

I'm so sick of the goddamn city and 40 minute commutes.
>>
>>1007677
Manitoba reporting, I feel you senpai.

OP get some 2" blue rigid foam insulation (probably around $10 for a 2'x8" sheet). You need to weather seal the window frame with plastic. Most hardware stores will carry a kit, if not measure your window and get that much plastic plus ~20% and double sided tape. You don't absoulutely need to heat gun it to shrink but it helps. With that on, tape the blue Styrofoam around the window. Also, go around with matches and test for drafts at doors and exterior walls.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.