[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need more room! Thinking about moving some books and stuff
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 0008148306418_A.jpg (43 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
0008148306418_A.jpg
43 KB, 380x380
I need more room!

Thinking about moving some books and stuff into plastic containers out in an external storage shed.

This is actually my dad's house I am sorting out. He's too old and I'm too busying trying to get myself together to actually build one like a cousin's husband did. Beautiful work he did himself, but it was expensive and time consuming.

What would you suggest for a simple shed. Thinking $500-$1500 range.
>>
i have a few Rubbermaid Roughneck boxes outside, and not a drop of water has gotten inside in 3 years time. still, i sometimes use a dollar store tarp to make sure they dont collect water over top, and use a string to wick away any water that does. a thrift-store tent would also work if you patch any holes.
>>
>>1006939
Bullshit. Without a seal, water will get in.

All I can tell you is that Lowes/HD sell displays for dirt cheap sometimes. If you do put those containers in a shed, buy some insulation tape from Lowe's/HD and make a seal around it before you close it up, and put some moisture absorbing shit in there. Arm and hammer, silica, whatever. I still regret leaving mine in the garage.
>>
the plastic ones work decently, but i wouldn't put books in a shed unless i didn't care about them at all, and at that point i'd either sell them or get rid of them. . .

if you're going to do that anyways, get a solar powered vent fan to push out all the hot air that'll ruin the books over time,

go get a plastic drop cloth, and use some black silicone to hold it up no water will make it in, and get any kind of screen and use more of the black stuff to hold it in place over the vents to hell keep flying bugs out

and put borax around the inside edge to keep the ants/roaches/other creepy crawlies out
>>
>>1006969
we don't get a freeze here, humidity is a bigger issue

no water gets in the structure of ours, bugs get in like crazy though, all the seams overlap, and have interlocking groves, if water is getting in, i have bigger problems since it's would have to be flooding or freezing or the wind blowing so hard it's driving the water in, and my house would be blown down before that would happen, and i would freeze to death since my house is not insulated. . .

i don't have ice and water shield on my house i'm not putting it on a fucking shed
>>
>>1006969
Is your house sealed?
Does water get in your house?

Water can't fly, anon.
>>
>>1007052
Not that guy, but besides the fact that water does fall from the sky fairly often, it also turns into vapor and wafts about in the air itself. It will then travel into any area that is not airtight and condense on any object that is cooler than the air. Making an airtight shed is fairly unreasonable for most people, so one of two options are fairly common: desiccants or ventilation. If you live in a place with very low humidity that's great, but not everyone does.
>>
>>1006933
>Thinking about moving some books and stuff into plastic containers out in an external storage shed.
I live in central IL, USA.....

1. The problem that I have seen first-hand with storing books in a non-climate-controlled environment is that the glue in the bindings tends to harden and crack apart.... With one exception (see #3)
2. Another problem I have seen first-hand is that if the books are made to a high quality, moths and termites will enjoy eating the yummy acid-free paper in them. Except for #3.
3. EXCEPT for cheap shitty romance novels. For some reason the glue is indestructible, and bugs don't want to eat the paper.

Been there, done that.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.