[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we do a Homeowner General? I just thought I'd like to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11
File: 1959 ranch homes.jpg (121 KB, 736x979) Image search: [Google]
1959 ranch homes.jpg
121 KB, 736x979
Can we do a Homeowner General? I just thought I'd like to hear from other homeowners and different projects they're tackling or successfully completed. We just bought a house at the top of our budget. It's got all the space we need, upgraded kitchen's baths, and well-maintained throughout, but it's got some minor electrical issues, and it's going to need a new roof in 5-7 years absolute tops. Neither of us had parents who were homeowners, so we're not very handy.
Post stats on your house, projects, etc.
Pic related

Will bump later with general question and home stats.
>>
Just bought a small home in California, LA area. Needs to have the floors jacked up, foundation retrofitted, landscaping, painting, kitchen update, bathroom update, windows restored (wood), new electrical box, cat6 installed, interior exterior painted etc.. I have a bigass list.

Quite a bit of work for a first time home I have very little experience with this.

So far I have had the floors jacked up, foundation retrofitted and the stucco repaired professionally.
Getting quotes for bath and kitchen this week (they are pretty small spaces).
Getting the windows restored and new gutters next week.
I have demoed the old deck (if you could call it that) and finished the garage into an office for myself.
Couple buddies of mine have offered to help me design and build a new deck so I'm going to get on that soon while the weather is cool.

The only work so far that has really scared me is foundation stuff its so expensive and I really know nothing about it. I hope there are no more problems before I sell (thinking 5-7 years). DESU all of the water on the property was terminating on one corner of the house due to shitty gutters and negligent landlord owner so I believe most of foundation sinking and settling was due to that. Hopefully I am right.

I have a 50k budget to fix it up so far I have eaten into about 16-17k of it 14k going to foundation. Its in a quickly gentrifying neighborhood so I'm hoping to eventually make some money off it.

Not sure if any of that is remotely interesting but ask any questions if you want I am learning a ton from this especially how bad contractors want to rip me off lol they are relentless....I had one guy bring his kid along saying "I want to show him life is tough" I told him thats a great lesson and he needs to leave...
>>
File: Ming Na SHIELD.jpg (57 KB, 600x899) Image search: [Google]
Ming Na SHIELD.jpg
57 KB, 600x899
>>898082
This is all very interesting and inspiring! I am also in LA county, but I'm in Pomona, so you couldn't really call it "LA Area" Our list isn't that serious, but it's still daunting. We have a hand full of useless light switches and ceiling fans that don't work. We had an electrician come out and he told us that it would be about a thousand dollars for him to install a motion light (which we've already purchased) over our garage. I wanted an outlet on the back porch, and the the switch in the kitchen hooked up to the ceiling fan in there and that was over 3500! That seems mighty unreasonable, but then he threw in they had their own financing and I figured I'd better get a second opinion.

We have water pooling by our back door, so in the next few weeks we're going to dig some irrigation all the way to the back wall in the next few weeks before El Niño gets going. The roof needs a patch, so that should be easy enough to take care of in the next few weeks also.

1330 SqFt 3 bedrooms, two baths. How about you?
>>
>>898082
> DESU
> Unsure if acronym or meme
>>
>>898096
Oh wow to that electrical quote. I got a guy to come fix some issues for $75 an hour and I just sat in the next room to make sure he wasnt on his phone or whatever. My house is 750sqft 2 bed 1 bath :3

>>898097
Lol I have no idea why that got auto corrected or what I even said there I think I said "a l m o s t" which is weird why it would get censored
>>
>>898096
forgot to mention yeah I think most issues happen because of water. None of the houses on my block even have gutters...its really crazy
>>
File: dog-with-sombrero-31.jpg (286 KB, 625x467) Image search: [Google]
dog-with-sombrero-31.jpg
286 KB, 625x467
>>898106
My house doesn't have gutters either, which I thought was kind of weird. But we're on kind of on a slope where all the water drains into the alley behind the house. I figure as long as we route the water back there it should be fine.
>>898099
Did he work for a place or was he freelance? I was thinking of trying to find a freelance guy on Criagslist, but you never know what you're going to get with something like that. Considering most of the problems we have were likely caused by shoddy electricians.
>>
>>898108
he worked for a company I found on angies list. I recommend that site it gives a bit of accountability. It also shows the dollar amount of jobs the reviewers had done. Its nice knowing if someone had a $20,000 job done right.
>>
>>898099
>2015
>still using auto-correct
>>
>>898125
I think it was changed by 4chan I don't have autocorrect on PC
>>
Bought a 30 year old house 2 years ago with some renovations. Used my inspectors advice and my judgement to determine that there was still lots of small projects to be done, but one large one to tackle: flooding. The basement looked dry but there was evidence there had been repeat flooding. I live on the lower portion of a large hill (not quite the bottom). Through reading and research, I over-engineered a french drain system I dug and installed myself, complete with proper grading and plastic sheeting about 4 inches underground on the problem side to prevent future problems.
>>
>>898096
That's wicked high for the electrical. I'm a low volt electrician (commercial fire alarm) so I can't do high volt. Didn't take much research, but I've done a decent amount in my house. About 10 can lights, a couple outlets, lights, ceiling fan. Pretty easy really. Use a large gauge to be safe and always turn off the breaker.

Projects I've done so far other than the above.
>wire for heat pump
>multi room audio with in ceiling speakers
>garbage disposal
>home theater with motorized screen and 7.1 surround (in wall)
>wire for lan network
>>
>>898082
I went to look at a house. Hillside, cinder block foundation. Realtor sent docs showing the owner had already sunk 100k into fixing the foundation, but it was still fucked since he went with some mysterious fly-by-night contractor. They also had a 70k quote from a legit srsbsns foundation lifting company. Anyway, don't think that house has sold.
>>
>>898157
foundation problems are a red flag "do not buy" sign. If they were lucky the house burned down while covered by good insurance.
>>
>>898129
There are some new filters in play
Baka Sempi DESU
>>
Any tips on meeting your neighbors? I guess I thought maybe they'd introduce themselves, but they didn't even answer their doors when I went by with my kids on Halloween. Normally I just depend on introducing myself when I see them in passing, but our driveway and garage are in the backyard and we have a big solid rolling gate and block walls. I feel very secluded. It's nice, but weird to think we'll be living here for years and years and not knowing the neighbors. The one to the East of me seems cool. He's always in the garage drumming to music we like, and his cars have stickers of bands we like. Then again, knowing your neighbors can be overrated. Most people who live around here seem a lot older than us.
>>
>>898082
Just out of curiosity, what neighborhood?

How many of these issues were disclosed by the owner or discovered during escrow? Basically, going into it, did you know you would be sinking another 50k on top of the purchase price?
>>
>>898333
Halloween is a day for not responding to the doorbell if you are not interested in giving out candy. Just try some afternoon when you are pretty sure someone is there. Knock on the front door and all that.

If you need a conversational plan:
1:hi, I'm 'blank' from 'blank's house'
2:just thought I would stop by and say hi
3:-have something with your name, address and phone number already written on it to give them.
4: just wanted you to have this in case you ever needed to get contact me, you know, playing music too loud or you needed something, maybe if you see anything suspcious. I would happily do the same, etc.
5: -get their details on a spare note you brought, with a spare pen you brought.
6: do you have anything else to say? shake hands if that is something you do, tell them to have a good afternoon, evening, weekend. do not run home shouting "they fell for it!"

Repeat for other neighbors adjacent to all sides.
keep details in a file like other important documents and somewhere accessible like Google Keep. Now you all have at least a little connection, perhaps enough for them to call you when a moving van and a bunch of bikers shows up and starts to load all your possessions while you are at work.
>>
>>898336
Mount Washington. Yes, I knew it was a fixer upper, I found out almost everything during inspections. In LA its so hot to buy right now there were over 22 offers on another house I bid on within 2 days. I had to go with a house that needed work to stay in a neighborhood I wanted to live in/invest in. I could have just spent 50-100k more for a flipped house but I looked at so many and they were really tacky and cheap looking.
I got the house for a good price relative to the area, a shitty flipped house right across the way just sold for 130k more than mine with 230 less sqft and no parking! Someone had died and rotted all the floorboards out yuck
>>
>>898567
Well howdy soon to be neighbor. I just picked up 5,000 sq ft of R1 land in Cypress Park. When you see a prefab going in in the next 2-3 years that's me!

LA market is bonkers right now, which is why I opted for the land. Total piece of shit built in 1923 with unpermitted work left right and sideways AND deferred maintenance going for $600/sq ft? Fuck that.
>>
>>898574
Is prefab actually cheaper? I have a buddy who works as an architect down town and he immediately told me not to build a house when I told him I was looking. Super interested in your experience!
DESU I really went into this experience not knowing a bunch but knowing I would pay less on mortgage than rent and I had an inheritance windfall for down payment.
>>
>>898567
Ugh, I hate when you can immediately spot the flips once you walk in. Laminate fake wood flooring, The most generic granite counter tops they can find, etc, etc. There are some nicer ones but their priced accordingly.
We'll probably re-locate up north, but I just love these historic homes. It's one of my favorite things about LA. I lived in a 1923 spanish house that was just beautiful. It needed 30-40$k worth of work which the landlord absolutely refused to do any of, otherwise I would have really considered buying it. But Now I'm glad I found a house which is nowhere near an apartment complex full of ghetto hoodrats.
>>
Bought a 80 year old house. 3000sqf on a 1/2 acre plot.
Lived in it now for 10 years. Had to repaint it and reseal the roof. Installed solar geisers and a garden irrigation system. Built a cottage for my mother inlaw. Replaced the borehole pump motor. re gunite the pool and rethatched the entertainment area. Installed airconditioners and new security alarm system with beams outside.

House has trippled in value since i bought it. Also did all the work myself with the help of my gardener. Helps growing up as a farmer in africa. You learn to do everything yourself.
>>
File: 1303618036567.png (54 KB, 553x759) Image search: [Google]
1303618036567.png
54 KB, 553x759
>>898180
>sempi
you fucking disgust me
>>
>>898587
>supposedly a homeowner
>can't even spell they're properly
>>
>>898614
>installed air conditioners
window units? is it even possible to install central AC in those old houses? here in FL there are no more houses without central AC, or at least in the city. I've seen a few with window units in addition, though.
>>
im buying pic related right now, i will build a workshop and slowly start something on my own
>>
File: haus.jpg (166 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
haus.jpg
166 KB, 690x460
>>898694
of course here is the picture
>>
>>898059
Your insurance will actually replace your roof, contractors will nock on your door sometime and say theyll set the whole thing up with your insurance
>>
>>898695
It's like a fucking fairy tale!!
>>898696
I figured I'd have to wait for El Niño to tear it up first.
>>
File: P1000282.jpg (2 MB, 2816x1880) Image search: [Google]
P1000282.jpg
2 MB, 2816x1880
yoooo
if you guys are retards that cant fix stuff, make sure a) you maintain property insurance and b) get a homeowner's warranty! they provide coverage for all sorts of stuff including ac, furnace, washer, dryer, electrical, plumbing, etc. depending on the coverage. well worth their money so long as you actually take advantage of them. deductible is usually like $50 per issue, and honestly i dont think a repairman would even replace a burner for that little so it is a great deal for you.

pic is old ranch house i bought like 8 years ago, havent lived there for a long time though
>>
>>898585
Prefab is way cheaper if the land purchase costs aren't crazy. I got my plot for less than the cost of a new Honda Fit, and one of the best custom off site pre fab builders quotes about $325/sq ft all in, which is custom design, permits, foundation, house, landscaping and fencing. In this situation, it will be about 50% below market cost for the area, and I won't be dealing with any major maintenance issues for many years (in theory.)

I lucked out with my land. it's the last R1 lot available in the area, and the slope it's on is mellow enough that it doesn't fall into the hillside building ordinances.

The cool thing about prefab is once the ball is rolling it's a really quick process, maybe 6 months. It can go from a foundation to a dry house in 5 days if all the ducks are in a row.
>>
Bought a home a couple of years ago. Thought it only had a few easily fixed cosmetic problems. Found tons of hidden issues. The previous owners were nuts about the crap they did to that house and hid in the walls. Been gradually fixing it constantly. I'm not sure when I will ever finish. I keep finding more.
>>
>>898082
Just got quoted 23,500 for redoing my entire kitchen and bathroom. What do you guys think? 4500 to upgrade my panel as well which will be needed.
>>
>>898705
in an adjacent issue:

Keep good records.

Keep copies of receipts (the originals fade away, sometimes within months), keep copies of all warranty information and slips that get sent away. Secure things into a binder with plastic sleeves, something like that, along with pages of notes that detail when you sent warranty cards, when you called the repairman (and then a copy of the repair invoice), things like that.

Fridge broke? flip-flip-flip, ah, here is the number to call. etc
>>
>>898848
This also can (and imo should) be expanded to cover the entire house.

like, page one: copy of the title documents, page two: copy of bank documents about the mortgage, paying or paid, followed up by any kind of confirmation you can find about each payment. A chapter for the kitchen (equipment, repairs) other appliances, other ongoing things. Any problem ever comes up, you have backup.

When you go to sell the home for whatever reason you have all the details on hand to show that maintenance was kept up properly. (the septic was pumped regularly, here are the invoices from the service. This floor was just replaced to take care of water damage, here is the invoice from the contractor)
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>898059
Today
I smoked these delicious yard birds.
Dry spice rub
Cherry wood in the smoker
225 degrees F for 3 -4 hours
>>
>>898863
did they taste too much like cherry?
>>
>>898881
No
The taste like any other smoked meat
>>
>>898855
im normally good with organizing important papers but never thought about putting appliance and repair reciepts and stuff in a binder. right now we have a messy drawer with all of that in there, and using a binder sounds like an awesome idea. thank you anon!
>>
>>898658
its a brick and mortar house. installed split units.
>>
>>898946
Those thin mitsubishi (or other) systems with the long box that goes near the ceiling?

How have you found the performance/energy use on those? Parents are looking at redoing a vacation home that technically has central air but the ducting is actually too small for a modern system and there is no room to enlarge it without chopping out floors and walls. Just plumbing in those split systems seems like a good compromise.
>>
>>898899
then what is the point of the cherry wood?
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 2592x1936
>>899054
There are many different woods you can use to smoke meat
Different wood provides a different flavor to the meat.
Many use hickory but you could use fruit woods such as Apple, pear, or even pecan.
I used cherry because I have numerous cherry trees growing on my property, I just cut off part of a branch,
Pic semi related it's my wood pile, but the wood is Osage orange.
>>
Hey, I have no xp in house work or construction but I'm looking to lay down some tile in my home. Any tips on equipment to use and how to do it semi-pro?
>>
>>900720
I assume you are butting tile on the floor
So first the floor has to be ridged, if there is any flex then the grout will crack and the tile will pop up
You can find low cost tile cutters for about $30us
But you will also need nippers to go around corners,
Different floats and trowels and something to mix grout in and with.
So if it's a small job you need to consider the price ftf all of the tools, the possibility you will use the tools on additional jobs Vs paying a contractor,
>>
File: 1.jpg (82 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
82 KB, 960x960
>>900720
I've done it before. I had my cousin who installs tile help me out, but I did most of the grunt work.
>>900740
This guy is right. I bought most of the tools to do it. You can never have enough tools. Best advice I can give is buy more tiles than you need, take your time, measure twice cut once, and do not get frustrated.
>>
File: 2.jpg (70 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
70 KB, 960x960
>>900784
I did the bathroom earlier this year. Going to tackle the kitchen and living room next.
>>
File: 3.jpg (56 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
56 KB, 960x960
>>900785
finished product.
>>
>>900786
i recommend you pull the baseboard off next time
>>
>>900790
I plan on it next time. Gives you more wiggle room and an overall cleaner install. This was my first attempt. I'll bet it took me much longer than a pro would have taken to do.
>>
>>898106
this desu senpai
>>
Bought a small condo about 5 years ago and paying next to nothing for it a month. I haven't really decided how to improve it to sell eventually. Ive already replaced the stove, dishwasher, washer/dryer, installed above stove microwave. HOA paid for new roof. The only major thing i needed done was have every room wired for central lighting, only cost about 650 for an electrician to come out. Next should be for them to wire for the coax cable in my office. (Its just coiled up from the ceiling in the closet and not crimped). Want to do it myself but i dont feel like getting in the attic or cutting holes or feeding wires. Plus my maintenance knowledge is limited
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.