[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PPE thread? PPE thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 20160602_194126-1.jpg (3 MB, 2809x1780) Image search: [Google]
20160602_194126-1.jpg
3 MB, 2809x1780
Didn't see anywhere else appropriate, so here we are.

Pic related is louder than God's revolver, and I have hella sensitive ears. I already have tinnitus from being in HS marching band, and the ENT I go to says I gotta stop wearing earplugs.
So that leaves me with over-ear style stuff.
I'm currently using some 20 dollar 3M ones, the red ones you see everywhere, but they only have a 21db noise reduction, which apparently isn't enough.
Anyone have any suggestions? Cost isn't really an issue, it's going on my tool bill.
>>
Also open to ear plugs suggestions, really. ENT said not to put anything bigger than your elbow on tour ear but he can fuck himself.
>>
2 seconds on google

www.radioindustries.com.au/sensear-sm-advanced-earmuff-over-the-head.html?gclid=CN2hlPTFis0CFQGbvQodljwO9A

28db nrr. That's massive
>>
>>1002959
double up, plugs and exterior ear wear.

A couple notes:
1. if your leaving your mouth open, you can damage your hearing because of the Eustachian tube and thin skin and membrane near your auditory system
2. Outer ear wear should cup the bone that sticks out of your skull slightly behind your ear. I forget its name right now, but it can transfer sound into your inner ear and cause damage. They even make some hearing aids that are drilled into this bone, because of its harmonic abilities to transfer noise into the inner ear.

So to recap. Highest nrr db rated outer earmuffs you can find that cup around your ear the best. Ear plugs (you can pay like $50 for specially molded to your ear type.) And chew gum or keep your mouth closed.

If you need hearing look into those active shooter earmuffs they sell. They are kind of costly because you will probably need the kind that can cancel out the loud noise, but still be able to hear someone.
>>
>>1002964
Ya know, all that seems like common sense but I'd never thought about it.
Thanks dude.
>>
Non-practicing audiologist checking in.

Doubling up ear pro is the way to go. Other advice so far is spot on.

What's the reason your ENT ordered you to stop using plugs?

If occlusion/breathability is an issue, I recommend reusable plugs built around a filter; you usually find them marketed as "musicians' ear plugs."
>>
>>1002964
This, but also get a breathable mouth guard (the style with a hole in the front between the top and bottom jaw). I worked in a planer booth that registered off the chart for safety and the CSO's didn't know what to suggest. We wore custom silicone plugs and peltor 30db muffs with lead sheet/asphalt dampener adhered to them, and the "bit" in our mouths. The neat thing is when attenuated properly you could hear all kinds of things that you couldn't before, like when a certain head on the machine was wearing improperly.
Without the bit if you opened your mouth to try to "mouth out" a signal to another worker your teeth would itch horribly from the vibration. The bit was more than anything to stop you from trying to yell and resort to proper signing. We'd routinely wear the gear during coffee break and it was entertaining to see how quiet someone screaming into your face was.
>>
>>1002959
Fuck you and your shitty thread title, people who start threads like you are worse than SJW's
>>
File: tehnika_bezopasnosti_05.jpg (203 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
tehnika_bezopasnosti_05.jpg
203 KB, 500x700
>>1002959
Anything around Class-5 is around 30-32db reduction, which is fairly hefty
>>
>>1002959
I use 3M Classic ear plugs at work. For extra-loud stuff, I wear Howard Leight Leightning L3 earmuffs over those (30db).
>>
>>1004931
Its been a thing for a while, albeit stupid as fuck. Not to mention hes discussing the SJW topic of the DIY world, I agree.
>>
>>1002960
Heres a suggestion: tell your supervisor to switch you to different department, one were there is less noise
>>
I used to wear the 3M tri-flange ear plugs because they didn't bother me at all under some beefy ear muffs.

The tri-flange are rated at NRR 26 and the earmuffs were NRR 30. Made it so I could only hear the faintest of hums.

Now remember that decibels are a logarithmic unit so 30dB of sound reduction is reducing the loudness by 1000 times.

Or if you use that silly table that is found in every science book; it makes a Chainsaw at 1m sound like a busy road at 10m.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.