[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/garden/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: Potato_main.jpg (34 KB, 447x286) Image search: [Google]
Potato_main.jpg
34 KB, 447x286
Any tips on growing produce such as potatoes?
>>
>>1004472
Rich soil with good drainage, and you need potatoes to start potatoes.
>>
>>1004472
You can grow stuff in bags if you don't want to dig up your yard or you don't have much in the way of open ground, they are a kind of plastic fabric and with care can be reused for a few years, you can let your seed potatoes "bud" on a window sill and then plant them out, compost mixed with some well rotted manure (60 - 40 mix) will give them plenty of food to get on with, plant the seed potatoes in a half full bag then as the plants grow almost cover them over (leave a few leaves poking out) to force them to grow more/higher, this will increase your yield significantly.

When you harvest the potatoes don't throw away your soil, tip it out into a big pile (if you have the room) and cover to stop weeds and mix in more well rotted manure the following year and use again.

If you do not have a greenhouse to start plants off then you can use your window sills or build a cold frame, these are very easy to make and there are a ton of videos showing you how.

I grow lots of tomatoes and chilli plants and sell them in front of my house with an honesty box and donate the money to Hope For Heroes, the stall in the picture isn't mine but mine is pretty similar.
>>
>>1004472
dig a little hole and put potato in it.

when the plant appears and grows some, pile good loose soil around the plant. leaving the top half the plant exposed. Keep repeating this every few days. Till your mound gets about a foot and half or two feet high.

when the plant above ground dies. tear the mound apart to get potatoes.
>>
>>1004517
That will work too.
>>
>>>/out/
>>
Let them grow. If you don't pull them out too early, they can get to be comically large.
>>
>>1004555
This.

>>>/out/784481
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.