[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Probably not the right board to post this, but do you think well
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7
File: Alpha_Factory-Sewing_Floor_80-90.jpg (459 KB, 2060x1464) Image search: [Google]
Alpha_Factory-Sewing_Floor_80-90.jpg
459 KB, 2060x1464
Probably not the right board to post this, but do you think well paying blue collar jobs will ever make a significant comeback in the US? Seems to me like that ship has long sailed
>>
>>997093
go to >>>/biz/ for that
>>
File: Detroit auto workers.jpg (179 KB, 898x305) Image search: [Google]
Detroit auto workers.jpg
179 KB, 898x305
>>997093
Nope. Manufacturing jobs are going to be going away worldwide over the next century. Labor costs in the third world are raising, international shipping ain't getting any cheaper or faster, and the cost of automated manufacturing is going down year by year. The factories will come back because, with labor costs much reduced and infrastructure in the first world being better, it will be cost competitive and simpler to produce nearer your customers. That said, those factories will being employing dozens of people and not hundreds. Look up 'lights out manufacturing'.

If you are under 40 its a very real possibility that, in your lifetime, a self driving semi will roll up to a factory, a robot will unload it, an automated assembly line with transform the raw materials, a robot will pack up the goods and a self driving semi will haul away the finished product. Human hands or eyes will never be involved in the process. It will probably all be monitored off site and a management control room.
>>
>>997109
look forward to a bright future with universal basic income. You can afford a cubical sized apartment that will make the one on fith element look spacious. But its ok you'll be zonked out on legal pot and staring into your oculus rift all day.
>>
>>997167
You do realize that universal basic income will instantly devalue the currency it uses, right?
>>
>>997246
It wont matter, everything's made by machines and they wont go on strike for raises. If all the billionaires actually tried to spend there money it would instantly devalue everything anyway. Money is just a meme used to enslave people, and when our slave labor is no longer needed what point is that leaver. They will appease us for our votes and to keep damasses complacent in there little cocoons. Soon 80% of the population will be agoraphobic neets only interacting online. And the system will bear it because of automation.
>>
>>997270
You are wrong.
You are in fact so wrong that I'm not going to bother refuting every point you brought up.
First off, it will matter. You're giving people x amount of dollars for zero work. There's zero way that wouldn't devalue the currency, since you've just made it so that that x amount is worth nothing. Second,
>Spend there money
>there
Grow up, your views on the economy will change.
Third:
>80% of the population NEETS
Please. r9k might say so, but there's no evidence to support that. Money isn't some big scurry conspiracy, it's an incentive.
>>
>>997093
>well paying
that's a relative term

in general, I'd say there will be a shortage of some jobs that people have been brainwashed to think are beneath them....a generation of parents all told their kids "you have to go to college to get a good job!", but what about all the other seemingly menial jobs that allow everyone else to be scientists and engineers?
>>
>>997276
If you think 80% of the population is driven enough to work for the sake of their art, or fuck for the sake of reproduction, or even go outside for anything but to get drunk at a club, I don't know what planet you're living on.

The only people breeding in two generations are going to be muslims and other religious fundamentalists. Everyone else will be plugged into VR 24/7 eating flavored nutrient paste.
>>
>>997280
Please, please hurry up with this, guys. I will worship the flavored nutrient paste.
>>
>>997282

This was all predicted in 1909, and its really a quite good book.

http://archive.ncsa.illinois.edu/prajlich/forster.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOr-jb6ElzE
>>
>>997276

They will be given enough money to sustain them and not much more, it will be an existence not unlike that in a refugee camp. Does free food in refugee camps lead to inflation? These people wont just be unemployed but unemployable having no marketable skills. There will be games that people spend years in, giving themselves a false sense of purpose and accomplishment. 'I cant waste too much time in meat space or no one will milk my digital cows.' 'Look at this city I have 7000 hours in construction in minecraft 4.5'
>>
File: dare youenter my mechanical.jpg (38 KB, 222x266) Image search: [Google]
dare youenter my mechanical.jpg
38 KB, 222x266
>>997282
>tech priest noises
>>
File: cogeneration.jpg (400 KB, 1542x1024) Image search: [Google]
cogeneration.jpg
400 KB, 1542x1024
fuck, maybe not in US, but here in northern Canada that ship never sailed
no (real) office jobs even, just industrial plant jobs. No manufacturing, just resource extraction. Example: you get a job at a lumber mill as whatever, straight out of high school. The mill pays for your education, with a contract to work for them for, say, 5 years. They ship you down to the closest large trade college, 800km in this case, then you are an apprentice, eventually getting your red seal shit. Bam, you're making 50K annual minimum. Which isn't a lot sure, but you are now locked into the towns (mainly) sole employer, where most people make 100K or more. The schools don't even really encourage university either, they have RAP (registered apprentice) programs, where you work at a plant, during school time, morning to lunch, and get paid hours, as well as hours towards your trade. A lot of these jobs start at $21 hourly, and it gets you closer to graduating. Schools give no fucks, you get railroaded thru.

There's the lumber industry, and the oil industry. Resource extraction points (small towns) dot the area, hundreds of km apart, with nothing else but reserves. Working on the rigs is pretty fucked. People doing coke off the machines and drinking on the job. Shit happens, and is overseen because oil is $$$. It's relatively easy to make up to 600K yearly, if you play the cards right and come in with an education. People work here for 5 years, then move back to their east coast town with no jobs there, and bring 7 figures. So many industrial accidents happen, more in the lumber mills, it's 60's equipment and clueless workers. Everyone's seen some gore. More than half lose/ruin a finger. Shame is is the mills are owned by conglomerates. Creates a divide in the town. Those who are teachers/work in industry, and everyone else, one's got lifted trucks worth more then their house, and the others live in trailers with 2-3 other families. I haven't even brushed on the hardcore northern mines
>>
File: gp.jpg (1009 KB, 1542x1024) Image search: [Google]
gp.jpg
1009 KB, 1542x1024
>>997439
RAP program hires people down to 15 or 16 years old I think, forgot that

also with oil, you live in a communal work campsite in ass fuck nowhere, eat out of one fridge, rows of bunkbeds, etc etc etc
>>
>>997440
Go on. This is way more interesting than the same old back and forth about BIG.
>>
>>997439
>just resource extraction
Yeah, that is one of the exceptions. Can't export a job cutting down trees in Canada, or mining coal in west Virginia, pumping oil in Alaska, etc.

>drinking on the job
Yup, thats blue collar. When the auto workers used to get pissy with management they would put their beer bottles inside the car doors to make the cars noisy during test drives and such. People would buy houses back in the day and find empty beer cans in the attic, in the crawl space, sometimes even in the interior walls and behind cabinets. Where I live Budweiser seems to have been the beer of choice. I've rented three different homes and each one had steel Budweiser cans in the attics.

>So many industrial accidents happen, more in the lumber mills, it's 60's equipment and clueless workers.
Probably mostly the latter plus a little shitty management to go with it. Most equipment like that hasn't changed much in 60 years. While safety has improved it has not changed in any way that can't be easily and cheaply retrofitted onto existing equipment. So its a combination of ignorant/drunk workers and lazy/cheap-ass management not paying for upgrades and proper training.
>>
>>997442
>dig ditches for utilities.
About once a week while digging we would find the trash pile for the housing project and pull up a bunch of beer cans and snack wrappers and shit.
>>
>>997441
I don't really know what to go on about, any questions or areas of interest?

We've also got the Temporary Foreign Worker program, and, because nobody here (other than children) will work a job for less than 20/hr, every food service place, cleaner, retail, etc job is done by people from the Philippines. Literally families of people working, proud to be here, and the program subsidizes a lot of stuff. They are never seen working in industry. There's huge cultural divisions, and the town's only got a few thousand.

The town population doubles in winter, as seasonal workers fill the motels to go to the rigs. Everything here is newer than the 1950s, as it was wilderness before roads happened. In NWT there are hella mines, like multi-million dollar jobs at diamond mines, but I don't know that much about that. Also, you can basically get a free education (Uni) if you agree to be contractually obliged to move back and work.
Read this shit
http://www.nadc.ca/

>>997442
Agree with you, here it's Molson Canadian haha.

Most the wood here is exported to US actually. Ever seen Norbord/Ainsworth/Weyerhauser OSB or Tolko Lumber? Odds are I know someone that oversaw or was involved with its production.
>>
>>997446
>only got a few thousand.
population in general not just pinoys, gotta make that clear
>>
>>997439
that sounds fucking terrible. no women in sight either, i'm assuming. hicks rich off oil would probably rape the first one they saw
>>
>>997093
I make $25/hr as a plumber, which I'd consider blue collar, and I've only been at it a couple years. By the end of the decade, I could be pulling in $30-40/hr.

The problem is, nobody wants the
well-paying jobs, because they're shitty. Quite literally, in my case, though I don't do sewage-related jobs as often as I used to.
>>
>>997825
Truck drivers can get paid good of money. You have to work 11 hours a day (or more under the table), you spend your life sleeping in hotels or in your truck and you only see the family every few weeks or so. Its boring, tedious, thankless and you generally have to be an owner/operator so there are no benefits but you do make good money. Oh and robots will probably be doing your job in 20 years but till then theres lots of job openings.
>>
>>997843
Class A CDL HazMat driver here, I make 80k/year having chemicals around, and rarely do overnights anymore.

Of course, if I break any traffic laws or get caught with narcotics or anything that a regular trucker could probably get away with, I'm shafted, but I'm a good driver and can spend all day awake without meth, so I don't have to worry about that shit.
It's also nice having some leeway in my timetables, so I'm not always rushing to get to my destination.
>>
>>997093
I don't think so, i think there will always be service based blue collar jobs, repairman/technician/installation jobs but i think low skilled manual labour belongs to 3rd world countries now, and when there are no more 3rd world countries i think that a Universal Income will be provided as the ratio of people/jobs available becomes insurmountable.

people are living longer and machines/3rd world labour will continue to destroy the job market so those without skills and those people who have trained in an oversaturated market will have no work.

Unless something drastic like slavery comes back or theres a sudden massive population decrease like a virus that leaves all the infrastructure in place and creates jobs then Universal Basic Income will become the only viable solution. I think it will lead to happier more fulfilling lives and naturally slow the worlds population down.
>>
>>997109
they will still need to be serviced and maintained, robots will always need humans at some stage in their production but i agree that they interaction and necessity will be minimal
>>
>>997276
its more likely that UBI will still require people to work but instead of doing 5 days a week they will do 2 or 3 or 5 days but 4 hours a day, people need meaning and routine in their lives or a sense of purpose.

I think people will at first become more anti social and retreat into whatever bullshit the media and game industry throws at them but after a while people will search for connection and more meaning to their lives now that they are no longer stressed and tired from working all day and eventually be more social
>>
>>997093
they are called engineering technicians and they can raise a sensible family on their income. you will not have a great comfortable life working a production line anymore, though*.

*that said, CNC guys do alright.

basically you cant be an uneducated dumbass anymore and do well. we have too many of those. you have to be a slightly educated dumbass.
>>
pfft what ever faggots, we cant hire enough assembly workers aka production associates
its all about the bottom line
when its cheaper and easier to get chinese children to solder boards (small hands make it easy)
or to get chinese ladies in canada to assemble them

im a tool and die/mold maker
i would love to see a robot do a mold PM
i also program robots and optimize automation, there will always be those jobs
i also would love to see a robot do a brake job on a rusty ass car
when america gets its work ethic back, then they will get more jobs back
>>
>>999371
This.

Also, I am a machinist. Not a button pusher. A legitimate, 31 year old journeyman. I make experimental aircraft components and helicopter rotor blades. This kinda shit we do not outsource to china because black work. Sure a lot of things is automated, but I will always have a job wherever I go.

A robot will run the CNC machine? Who will make replacement robot parts? More robots? Who will repair the robots when they break? More robots? Robots robots robots. Not in our lifetime fellas. Humans are still more cost effective in most areas of precision work.

Pic unrelated. I single pointed these.
>>
>>999374
>but I will always have a job wherever I go.
More like someone will have a job like yours to the foreseeable future. If practically all the other machinist work is eliminated, then the few remaining machinist jobs will have lots of guys competing over them - at least for a while. It's not going to be easy sailing for you during that time.

There are plenty of jobs which have went this route.
>>
>>999374

It doesn't actually take that advanced technology to achieve a fully self maintaining, self repairing, self replicating automated factory.

The factory produces capable humanoid robots. As all tasks involved in building and servicing the factory are designed around the capabilities of the human body, those robots will be able to perform all of those tasks.

We just about have the robotics side of it down, it's mostly a programming challenge now.
>>
>>999387
then nobody consumes what those robots makes because people don't have jobs and there's no money to pay the electric bill to power those robots.

Demotivational technofuture shills BTFO.
>>
>>999416
It's a self-correcting problem, low demand brought about by decreasing labor-force participation will bring about rampant deflation and force the Fed's hand. Universal basic income might be inevitable, not as a matter of social policy, but as a matter of monetary policy.

Of course, this assumes we can't find another niche for displaced middle-IQ workers. If jobs can be found for them, then we can continue on with the status quo.
>>
>>997280
>Everyone else

That isn't how anything works at all when humans are involved. Just like how everyone isn't playing video games or watching anime.
>>
>>997093
I use to work for the Landoll Corporation where we manufactured trailers, farm equipment, forklifts and OEM/GOV equipment. There we had a few welding robots and thats it. All the robots had someone there to keep an eye on them and to do touch ups. There is one line that had 3 robots but two and sometimes 3 people there working on the line to move the frames down the line, do touch ups, and then move them off to the side so they can be loaded up on to the paint line.

Everything else was done by person or person and machine (CNC and what not).

There were people making wooden shipping boxes and pallets to move shit out.
A few people to fix the fucked up paint jobs.
There are a few people to clean the shitters.

But to help keep cost down, they try to run areas and shops on a low number of people.
If you get to do a tour of the place, all the machines and equipment have signs of what they are, what year it was bought, and how much it costed during that year. None of that shit is cheap and some of it is old as hell. But they do "upgrades" to them to keep them working and to have minimal person interaction during some runs.
>>
>>999454
With current vr. Yeah, of course. but in 10 15 years? When your vr waifu just is whoever you want her to be and you literally can't tell the difference? And your robo flashlight is there to suck your dong? That's gonna get a whole lot of people, especially among the next generation that are being destroyed by sjw.
>>
>>999387
>>999378
I am talking prototype, one off shit. You aren't going to spend all that money on robots when you are breaking new grounds and seeing if this shit is actually going to literally fly or not.

Just trying to clarify mass production vs what I do. As far as competition for jobs go, not very many people do this type of work in the first place. Sure, an average machinist won't make a million dollars, but he'll always have a job and food on the table. My trade ain't going nowhere any time soon.
>>
>>999387

>It doesn't actually take that advanced technology to achieve a fully self maintaining, self repairing, self replicating automated factory

No one said it did take advanced technology to do so. However, it is cost prohibitive for what the end product is and how much you plan on selling it for while expecting people to buy it. Thanks for humoring me. I always get a laugh out of people that truly believe dumb shit like this. Your skewed view of the near future is nowhere near in our lifetime. Maybe your grandkids.
>>
>>997843
>>997870
self driving cars say hi
>>
>>997440
That sign to Alaska is a big sham, GP is like 30 hours away
>>
>>999885
I believe them when the AI doesn't get stuck in walls anymore.
>>
>>999490
When you'll realize that getting your dick sucked off isn't everything there is to life, you'll see how wrong you are.
>>
>>997093
Depends on the job. "Comeback" means nothing. Some will exist, mass employment for the stupid won't.

Not your problem unless you choose to suck.
>>
>>999885
self driving trucks are still 10 years or more away
we have the tech now, but governments won't get off their ass for at least 1-2 presidential terms
>>
>>997246
You do realize i have a 4 chan degree in economics, right?
>>
>>997276
>You're giving people x amount of dollars for zero work.

Are you retarded? You are giving them x dollars for wealthy people's work. Theft does not devalue currency.
>>
>>997093
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

This pretty much sums it up
>>
>>997093
nope not coming back. no to the extent they were in the 'good old days'.
even in manufacturing comes back it won't be done by masses of human workers. there have been huge advancements in robots and automation for manufacturing. even a huge factory takes much much less human workers to run today then 50 or 100 years ago.
>>
>>1004783
as has been said the jobs will be skilled or semi-skilled. technicians to keep the robots/automation running. can't be a complete dumbshit to become a technician. so bottom of the barrel dumbshit high paying jobs are gone for good. you will need some level of smarts and schooling to make a decent living.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.