[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/ I'm looking for something that you can basically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: images (7).jpg (10 KB, 592x248) Image search: [Google]
images (7).jpg
10 KB, 592x248
Hey /diy/
I'm looking for something that you can basically paint onto a leather sole to protect it from wear. I was thinking bitumen may work but I'm not sure if it would adhere sufficiently and withstand the abuse soles have to. Also it may melt on hot surfaces.
>>
>>999918
>I'm looking for something that you can basically paint onto a leather sole to protect it from wear. I was thinking bitumen may work but I'm not sure if it would adhere sufficiently and withstand the abuse soles have to. Also it may melt on hot surfaces.
--also it would leave ugly black marks on any floors, when you dragged your feet even a tiny bit. Which you probably do, because most people do--you just never saw direct evidence of it before.

It would help to explain what kind of shoes these are and why exactly you want to coat them with anything. Does it need to be removable later?...

The short answer is that you would need to use urethane or silicone rubber, since those would not mark up floors. Natural rubber will.

Alternately if these are leather dress shoes, you could call a local shoe shop/cobbler... For those kinds of shoes they would likely know best.
>>
File: sole.jpg (90 KB, 940x627) Image search: [Google]
sole.jpg
90 KB, 940x627
I know hippies used to whip up a mixture of shredded tire rubber and epoxy to paint their moccasins with...

But I mean, in modern times there's no reason not to just use those slap-on strips of Vibram you see everywhere.
>>
Just apply shoe goo the soles.
>>
Teflon
>>
>>999963
Thinking of making a pair of shoes around a plastic cast of my foot so I have a pair of perfectly shaped shoes. They would be leather. I want to avoid having to resole them all the time because leather is expensive, so something you could paint onto the outsole which is cheap, grippy and protective would be ideal
>>
linseed oil, but needs to cure 2 months. soles stay 2x time min. slip more than just leather, because harder.
>>
>>1000044
You're not going to wear socks?
>>
Spray on truck bed liner?
>>
>>999966
That is actually pretty legit looking.
>>
/thread
>>
>>999918
buy sheet of leather or rubber, attach with glue and tacks
>>
We used duct tape in jail to protect our handball shoes.
>>
>>1000294
Do you know what an outsole is?

>>1000457
Looks like it won't grip the leather.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.