[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's it called?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: AntiqueLockAndKey.jpg (33 KB, 518x345) Image search: [Google]
AntiqueLockAndKey.jpg
33 KB, 518x345
I have a bunch of antique equipment in cabinets. Many of them have locks like pic related but are missing the keys.

What is the proper name for a flat metal key like this?

Bonus question: Any good tutorials on making new keys to fit the locks?
>>
half mortise cabinet lock
no special name for the key - it's a key
keys would be difficult to make unless the lock can be disassembled
if lock comes apart you can determine how to cut the key to match
>>
>>1022830
>if lock comes apart

I was hoping not to take them apart. They are riveted (or peened) together and I'm afraid one dissassebly might be the end of the lock.

A few boards have suggested making a flat key blank, sticking it in and wiggling it to get the internal warding (I think it's called) to mark the blank. Problem is: The keys are steel and the locks are brass. So there are not clear marks left.
>>
>>1022846
Paint/color the key blank before wiggling?
>>
Try to fill the hole silicone
>>
>>1022849
>>1022846

Soot from a lighter flame works well sometimes.
>>
>>1022846
>>1022910
Yeah, if it is a warded lock that should work.
Make sure the soot layer is quite thick.
Some people recommend using molten wax, but other people sat that's highly unprofessional.
>>
>>1023265
If it needs to be thick try a candle flame instead, the cheap dollar store ones are best. I'm thinking paraffin smokes better than real beeswax?
>>
File: 20150629_063322.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20150629_063322.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
I just got rid of an old dresser i got from my grandparents from our cabin that had locks on each drawer. At first i thought they were just decorative but they weren't. I had it in my garage storing random crap but i needed the space. I had no key for it but now im thinking i shoulda messed around with it. Bummer.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.