[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
on a scale of 1 to fuck this, how difficult would it be to make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
on a scale of 1 to fuck this, how difficult would it be to make a batch freezer?
>>
on a scale of 1 to fuck this?

id rate: fuck me
>>
>>1021767
Why don't you check local rest supply or auctions for slushie makers, or softserve machines.

I have seen them sell around here for $50-$500 depending on age and condition.
>>
>>1021807
dunno if either of those would get cold enough for actual ice cream though.
>>
If you were an mechanical engineer with years of experience in the hvac field, it would still be a serious challenge to build one that's capable of production on a commercial scale like the one in your pic.

Making an ice cream machine at home for a gallon at a time? Sure people have been doing that for a hundred years.

>tl;dr: OP should use a wooden bucket and corded drill to make "small batch handmade" ice cream and market it to hipsters at exhorbitant prices.
>>
>>1021812
i'm mostly wanting one that can make batches in about 10 minutes as opposed to 30-40 but none of them are small enough to be cheap enough to buy
>>
>>1022198
Dunk shit in liquid nitrogen. Simple and fast.
>>
>>1022213
i guess
>>
>>1022213
buy a cryocooler an liquefy air
>>
>>1021811
They'll get as cold as you want them to get, but it'll take some engineering. Even homemade ice cream has to be hardened. You can have soft serve nearly immediately with an actual machine, but ice cream like in what used to be half gallon cartoons? At least a couple of hours. Add to that the cost of cream... Unless you have A REALLY good recipe and a source of cheap cream, you can't beat good store bought, and I'm an ice cream fiend.
>>
>>1022233
i mostly make low carb ice cream, stuff in the stores that is 'no sugar added' has too many carbs per serving but thanks for the info
>>
>>1022234
The problem you'd have making a machine, besides the refrigerant part which you could learn, is they tend to use a barrel for the freezing chamber with precisely fit blades/beaters. Getting that fabbed up properly would take some doing. Commercial models use stainless as well, so it'd be a double bitch to deal with.
>>
If you're willing to shell out for a consumer model is an easy upgrade conversion into commercial industrial, but from scratch you'd need serious machines and working knowledge of them, if you can't reliably operate every type of cnc don't even think about it because that's just the tip
>>
>>1022280
i've got a consumer model atm that uses a condenser to cool how would i do this easy upgrade
>>
>>1022288
The main differences tend to be voltage regulation and total power consumption depending on what you have and ate going for. In some cases refrigerant pump but not usually a significant deal. Get a 30$ replacement power board of I can't think of the model right now but Google should help you, swap and it should work out. I do it with all kinds of tec pelt units for all kinds of things, I usually convert ice cube makers but I've cream should be same function. The heavier load might need 220v plug as you'll be over 1600w though that depends on just how much cooling power you need
>>
>>1022288
Do you know what kind of coolant is used? If you're still on freon you can really crank it up but I wouldn't recommend it
>>
>>1022313
Refrigerant is r134a
>>
>>1022310
so that will make it cooler but what about the motor turning the dasher? batch freezers have anywhere from 120 to 250RPM while this one is 60RPM or about.
>>
>>1022319
Check pump for the unlikely speed dial, if you're good with electrical you can solder in extra caps and juice it and the blending fins, etc but really I suggest just whole replacement board and limit down what you need to with phases, there's a couple good guides on Google, look for artisanal ice cube conversion and all the information translates pretty easy
>>
>>1022321
If the blade motors can't hit your speed you can get a better motor and build your own custom blades to fit, or you can chill things further to make up for the speed (not recommended)
Biggest concern with custom blades is balancing and composition, if you go with a cheap metal you'll taste it, try to meet the same material type where possible. Physical dimensions tend to be the worst enemy of any changes though so before getting a motor know the exact size and power requirements
>>
>>1022325
>artisanal ice cube conversion
this gives me people making then cutting up perfectly clear ice.
>>1022328
aight
>>
>>1022332
The machine conversion guide is exactly that, takes normal ice cube maker and turns it into commercial cube maker, the underlying principal applies to ice cream
>>
>>1022336
still wasn't able to find the guide, thanks though
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.