[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fireplace mount
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
I'd like to mount this 55" on a swivel above my fireplace because of the odd layout of my apartment, but there are no studs in the middle. The studs are on either side and 40" between them. Could I mount a swivel on one of the studs and push the TV to the center when not in use? Aren't there mounts built for this?
>>
Obviously the lamps will go when I mount it
>>
anyone?
>>
>>1021758
Why the fuck do you have a fireplace with chimney that isn't made out of brick?
>>
>>1021758
Look at hollow wall anchors. Obviously going into studs are best, but if you dont have a stud you can get some good hollow wall anchors that are rated for enough weight.

I installed my a 40" on a static mount using hollow wall anchors, 2 55" on a retractable arm using hollow wall anchors, and a 60" on a static mount, and none have had any issues at all.
>>
Run a board across the mantle from stud to stud and mount it on that.

I'm assuming you're not incredibly well equipped, but if you know someone who is you can have them route a nice crown molding pattern in the board until the point(s) you mount.
>>
>>1021802
I'm renting the apartment, I don't want it to look like total garbage though. The molding is a great idea, I just dont know if it's worth the money for me. I would like to paint it though
>>
>>1021806
Yeah, get a 2x6 board, cut it to length, which they'll do at the homeless despot, paint it, and drive a few 3 inch screws through it, 4 or 6.
Your TV is huge, it covers the whole 40"+ you'll need; the board won't even be seen.
>>
>>1021813
Oh, and when you move out all you'll have to do is spackle a few reasonably sized holes.
>>
>>1021814
awesome thank you so much
>>
>>1021813
Is that you AVE?
>>
>>1021904
>AvE
>Suggesting tree carcass

1800_come_on_now.jpeg

Wish I was, though. It'd be cool to be him, I imagine.
>>
>>1021758
Dont mount a television above a fireplace you fucking mong.
They're generally too high which isnt good for your neck, unless you have a fucking massive room.
Put it on a wall
>>
>>1022764
This.

But, yeah, toggle bolts can support the other half of the mount just fine. You generally don't want them on a full motion mount though, but they're rated enough to hold plasmas that size without any issues.
>>
File: IMAG0183.jpg (704 KB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0183.jpg
704 KB, 3264x1836
>>1022764
Sure , I've built a lot of furniture around it, but above fireplace is ideal for a TV.

Rooms are often centered around the fireplace. Living rooms are often centers around TVs. It makes sense.
>>
>>1022764
Fuck off faggot. I've mounted my 75" tilted down above a fire place, it was great.
OPs question has been answered, literally kill yourself.
>>
>>1022950
I've always found the mounting to be too high. Especially with the glorified beanbag-chair-in-a-frame couches that are all the rage these days. Your ass ends up about 3.5 centimeters off the ground once you sink in and then you have to crane your neck to view a TV thats 5 feet off the ground.

They are nice for parties though. You can see the TV well enough even when everyone is standing.
>>
>>1022966

doesnt matter it TV is tilted down, you still gotta tilt your head up to see it. this will give you neck pain after a while. the older you are, the worst it'll be.
>>
On the other hand, a high TV is great if you have reclining furniture.
>>
Mount it from the ceiling and have it drop down. You'll be able to adjust how far away you want it depending on what you're doing
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.