[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Carbon Fiber Link Bracelet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: carbonfibrebracelet.jpg (10 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
carbonfibrebracelet.jpg
10 KB, 400x266
Does anyone have experience working with carbon fiber?

I had an idea to make a carbon fiber link bracelet but I have no idea if this is feasible. Think like a stainless steel watch band, only of carbon fiber. There would be lots of little links and pins, possibly all made of carbon fiber. I undoubtedly think will mean it is expensive. But can carbon fiber take something like a small hole and a pin driven through it to attach to other links? Conversely, are there any chain or interlocking link styles that don't require a pin to secure like in a watch band?

Picture would be the closest thing I could find to what I'm going for. I like it, but it just doesn't have that carbon fiber feel or visible open weave I'm looking for.
>>
Also, would it be possible to get a "block" of carbon fiber and machine it into the final product? Would this reduce its structural properties, unlike the resin molded products?
>>
Here's why that would be incredibly difficult

http://www.accutektesting.com/about-us/blog/tips-for-machining-carbon-fiber

It would have to he carbon fiber with an insanely tight weave to do even the simple things you want from it.
>>
>>1021443
Do you think it's possible to mold some sort of interlocking link that wouldn't require drilling or milling?
>>
>>1021433
You can do this, and yes it won't be as strong, but it also doesn't look like you imagine, it's closer to a black plastic, so probably won't work for a watch strap.

>>1021469
You may struggle to find a way to snap parts together without breaking them. take a look at how the smaller IGUS tracks do it, but bear in mind that they're made of plastic, so can bend a lot further before breaking.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.