[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Supporting myself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: welcome to diy.jpg (54 KB, 417x568) Image search: [Google]
welcome to diy.jpg
54 KB, 417x568
19 years old, disabled physically (and a bit mentally) now but used to be a carpenters helper. What tools should I get for my small work bench? (going to be building furniture, hacking apart old furniture and rebuilding it, touching up, etc.) Someone else is going to be bringing me wood.

List I have so far is:
>12 set wood carving knife kit
>Stanley adjustable bench plane
>4'' vise
>6'' bench grinder
>Ryobi Circular Saw, 7 1/4'' Diablo Blade
>Black & Decker ROS 5'' (comes with a 10 pack of 5 inch discs wit grits ranging from 60-220)
>Black & Decker Drill 20V rechargeable Li-ion (with 10 piece double end screwdriving bit set and a 10 piece drill bit set, I'll get a screw gun for convenience when I have money)
>1 5/8 inch and 2 1/2 inch screws

I understand the market is oversaturated. I understand it is most likely I will end up homeless. Regardless I'd like to give it my best and would appreciate replies to achieve my goals. Worst case scenario the doctors write me up for disability.

One more thing, an old friend told me the B&D sander wont last and the discs go super easy, any experience with this? Is manual sanding the way to go?
>>
File: special needs wood worker.jpg (122 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
special needs wood worker.jpg
122 KB, 1024x768
Bump.

Any tips or advice? I'm thinking of starting on eBay and Amazon, use uShip to get stuff where it needs to go.

Current table I'm working on is just made of old 2x4's, the table I'm using was built from recycled laminate material, I just bought the compressed sawdust and glue stuff. Have had it for seven years now.
>>
>>1021310
You might wanna try doing business locally on Craigslist before going "nationwide". Every time I've ordered something that came on a pallet shipping was like 200-400 bucks.

Build up some capital before you go all out. Hell, maybe use that those first couple of projects to increase your tool inventory. Miter saw, compressor, nail guns hell even more sanding discs.

Seriously though if possible having a part/full time job and and doing this after hours might be more financially feasible till you get a demand for your products to keep yourself afloat

Good luck OP
>>
>>1021310

your mentally disabled, you wont be able to compete with non retarded competent woodworkers lol. your going to waste your time building shit that'll look like a retard built it. no one wants that
>>
>>1021315
Thanks anon, yeah I'm a little worried about local deals seeing how I live near section 8 housing, but at the same time there are tons of rich people around. Its weird having a bunch of poor people on one side, but the city is known for being rich, so I'll be OK.

I might go back to part time lumber yard work, just office stuff.

>>1021337
thanks for the bump but this isn't /a/ : ^ )
taking medication for the mental disability. Its the physical one that fucks me.
>>
File: 51985x5.jpg (395 KB, 1600x769) Image search: [Google]
51985x5.jpg
395 KB, 1600x769
>>1021285
Depending on your handicaps, doubling down on carving might be great. If you could sell yourself as an artist, or a crazy/disabled artist, and get into some really fucking good carving, and metal engraving, that is a pricey luxury good that never goes out of style.
>>
>>1021340
What mental disability do you have?
What physical handicap do you have?

Depression/anxiety doesn't count.
As long as your hands work you're set.
>>
>>1021285
Don't discount etsy, either. If your craftsmanship has the right characteristics for the target demographic there, a lot of them have some serious money to burn (or just don't understand the value of a dollar, however you want to look at it).

Plus it's not too hard to stand out there since everything else is made of goddamn pallets.

Godspeed anon
>>
>>1021357
Physical handicap is genetic spondylosis in my L5 vertebrae, its grade 2 and progressing apparently, but my abdominal muscles seem to be stabilizing it, postponing inevitable surgery until 40. I can walk around in pain for now. Shouldn't lift anything heavier than 20 pounds.

Mental is paranoid schizophrenia according to some psychiatrists others see it as extreme anxiety. They just give me lots of pills and my heart doesnt race and I feel relaxed. not good but relaxed

>>1021341
looks fun desu. Might get into it. Thanks anon.
>>
>>1021337
Go away. This is not a shitposting thread. This OP has realistic goals and sounds willing to work hard understanding that success is earned.

Save the bullshit for the shipping container faggots.
>>
Like the other anons said, use your first few chunks of income to invest in the tools you need. I started out with shitty hand-me-downs and garage sale stuff, now I've upgrade all my major tools to pro-grade stuff. Believe it or not, it makes the job easier.
>>1021337
>>>/b/
>>
My two-bit advice: seek soc sec disability with the help of a lawyer. Pursue fine woodworking as a hobby, and run it as a cash business only.

Use your time to make something beautiful, and leave this world a better place than it was when you came in to it. I pay my taxes to support people like yourself, so that you can seek meaning in life without having to worry about being a wage slave like the rest of us.
>>
File: 100VGtu.jpg (204 KB, 671x654) Image search: [Google]
100VGtu.jpg
204 KB, 671x654
>>1021420
>>1021424
>>1021425
Wow...thank you. I really appreciate the support. I'll post a thread showing the completed project in the future and mention this thread for those who remember.

>mfw anons are nicer to me than family
>>
>>1021430
>>1021425
While I have no congenital defects, I have physical injuries from multiple auto accidents and PTSD from being raised in a doomsday cult. I know what it's like to have goals that are simple to most folks, yet impossibly high to individuals. I also know what it's like to discover random strangers can care about your wellbeing more than family or lifelong "friends."

Just try your hardest, and never turn down a helping hand when it's freely offered.
>>
>>1021440
>>1021419
I dont want to take it too far away from what OP wanted, but damn

I have congenital heart problems and broke my neck in junior high. It always fucked me up that I couldnt play sports, ride roller coasters, go down water slides, ride bikes, anything that could be high impact or where I could get hit in the chest.
Then compound that with the neck injury (constant pain, brain fog, numbness, and headaches) , I truly became a recluse, which people started giving less of a shit about me.

Now I sit here at 24 being NEET, still bad heart still a crunchy painful neck. I am wired to be a hands on guy who should be working in a trade, but my body simply wont allow it.
Its really fucking hard sometimes...

I realize I have gone far too long without trying to support myself, but I will be monitoring this thread too. Hope is hard to come by these days
>>
>>1021683
Damn, I got a stomach ulcer and anxiety and that alone is heading me down the unemployment line, as I've taken a few personal days, mostly because the nhs waiting times are ridiculous.
>>
Ok, OP, I'm going to help. I don't know if you're legit, but that's ok. In the offhand chance someone else wants to learn this, it's here to be understood. Get a cabinet scraper, and learn to sharpen it; it will save you a metric fuckton on sand paper. Invest in a set of shellac color sticks and a cheap soldering iron, and offer to do after-hours repair on finished bar tops with them. Buy or make some clamps, and learn to use wood glue properly, along with 2-part epoxy. Then, either let people know you can fix their family heirlooms, or refurbish pieces you find at thrift stores/yard sales/beside the ditch. Use CitrusStrip instead of that chemical stripper to get white wall paint off of great old furniture, as some ignorant hausfrau has painted over a rare piece to "get it to match". Go to Youtube and look up "Furniture on the Mend" and "Furniture to go". You'll be ok.
>>
>>1021776
That's... some solid advice. I imagine bar tops get fucked up on the regular, and even a dive would probably pay good money for a quick, quality fix.
>>
>>1021337
>retards cant into wood
https://www.youtube.com/user/Matthiaswandel
>>
>>1021796
That boy is a savant, not just a run of the mill tard
>>
>>1021757
Dude, apparently fresh raw cabbage juice helps with ulcers
>>
>>1021796
this is bait
>>
>>1021757
> I got a stomach ulcer

Just eat Tums all day while sticking to a strict ulcer diet.
I was given Carafate (ulcer drug) for damaged lining of throat(simllar to an ulcer).

Its literally just liquid tums with an ingredient to make it stick to the lining better. But holy shit did it work, and it worked fast.

Tums wont work as well, but itll still work in the meantime till you can be seen.
>>
>>1021285
I know you said you cant carry too much weight, so I dont know how much full length 2x4 you plan to do.

There are a lot of easy to sell 2x4 type furniture out there. 2x4 wooden benches are really easy to make, pretty cheap, and tend to sell pretty well.

If you were to look into that, I would invest in a Miter Saw.
You can get 10inch Hitachi one for ~100$. Makes working with 2x4s extremely quick, and extremely easy.

Your circular saw will work, but its a lot more unwieldy and slower. Which with a bad back might not be a great thing.
>>
Could you look into becoming a luthier? Make a few custom guitars for big bucks?
>>
>>1022539
Doctors are starting to realize ulcers are usually a bacterial infection. If you see a doctor he might give you anti biotics for it and it will just clear up.
>>
>>1021285
My biggest bit of advice would be to market yourself properly. If you're good at what you're doing and can take a half-decent picture of finished pieces, then set up an instagram and facebook page for yourself. Skip twitter it's not worth shit to anyone these days.

Learn to use hashtags to get your shit seen by people who are interested, get your friends and your clients to follow you on your social media accounts (for clients you can use following you as an incentive if need be, i.e. "follow me on facebook and get a 5% discount").

You would be surprised how much work you can drum up out of the watching public just by posting portfolio pieces where they can see them. I employ myself as a social media coordinator with most of my 'odd jobs' coming from my own social sources where I post bits and pieces of my work. For every ~100 people who see it, 1 or 2 of them will send me a message asking for quotes on some work and about 75% of them will sign on the dotted line for me to help them out.

Also spend a bit of time developing some branding for yourself. A logo and a company name are good enough to start with. Check out Fiverr if you need help with design and coming up with ideas and are looking for some cheap help. Remember that 70s inspired retro-chic design is still in favour when it comes to graphic design.

Above all be honest, spend your capital wisely (look at second-hand tools), and keep trying. The first year is the hardest when you're doing stuff like this.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.