[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wood floor scratches
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I scratched my apartment floor while moving furniture. How easy is it going to be to fix and how should I do it?
>>
You can try to scratch every other wood board so it looks natural
>>
>>1020776
Whats the finish on the timber?
If its oil you might be able to sand it out and re-coat, if its varnish... sand it all out and start again.

Course, there's the other option of buying a rug and never speaking of this again
>>
>>1020783
I don't know how to tell. And I don't know how to do that
>>
>>1020776
If you put that many scratches in the floor just from moving some furniture, you were never going to get your security deposit back anyway. Doomed before you even started.

So you might as well just ignore it. Get a rug, like the other guy said.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>1020795

Don't worry there's more. How do I fix em
>>
>>1020776
>>1020800

Next time to drag/push your furniture about. Carry it or put it on a cart or something.

>>1020784
Well, he told you what needs to be done and Google exists. Learn how to do it.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>1020846
I had to drag it across the floor myself because my gf wasn't helping me. Don't ever have a woman try to help you move anything.

I got a wood colored crayon repair kit and sand paper I'll post results. U got any tips?
>>
>>1020853
You're gonna want a lower grit like 80 if those floors are varnished. How about talk with your landlord first ? Maybe they wont even care.. Floors get scratched. According to HDTV gives it " character " or say you paid someone to move for you and while you where at work they musta slid something across the floor and fucked it. Seriously talk to your landlord before you make it worse.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>1020863

I tried to do A walnut and that took the scratches out but left like an oil/grease spot, hope it goes away. The varnish market worked a bit. No more scratches tho just hope it will look better, I have like 10 months left on the lease so im sure people walking all over it will help it blend
>>
>>1020868
Buff it out nigga
>>
>>1020877

That's just sanding right? Will the 150 grit work
>>
>>1020886
Right. Cause they used sandpaper to buff your car. Buffing and sanding are different things.
>>
>>1020886
No it's different than sanding.
>>
>>1020853
No offense but a bitch that won't move furniture she's going to be sitting on is a bitch that you don't want around, same goes for niggas and any bitch ass motherfucker that comes through your door. If you can't be bothered to make the bed you don't deserve to sleep on it.

It's not your property so even if your mind set is that you broke so you should fix it consult him/her first. For all you know they have someone who's sitting around getting paid to be ready to hop into action who will do it. But you can mention that you're willing to repair it.

You can try buffing. Buffing isn't sanding(though most people who don't interchange the terms occasionally), it's a process that basically makes scratches into much smaller scratches, and with a varnish it will also slightly melt it, and that can give you an even sheen. The issues, a scratch will still be a scratch and you need to blend it in. Depending on the scratch this may work or it may not, if the scratch gouged deep into the floor board buffing won't work. The issue, you may end up buffing the whole floor to make it match. You could try to fill it in with the same finish and then do it. The issues, you'd have to get the same or a very similar varnish(if I had to guess for an apartment it's minwax semi gloss polyurethane because it's relatively cheap, readily available and while not amazing it looks good enough in any number of situations) and then buff it down, but the hue of an oil based varnish will change over time so it may be noticeable if the original varnish is decades old(doubtful). Next option is to buy an orbital sander, rent a floor sander, and then refinish it entirely. This will be the best looking result if done right, but if you treat the scratch right might only be slightly better. Redoing the whole floor is not a job id undertake on rented property though, for several reasons.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.