[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
REQUEST
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
Someone knows how to make a sandclock?
for almost 25 minutes and small... you know, to go
>>
First step is to put some regular-sized sand in a sand grinder, to mill it down to the appropriate size. Wear a respirator, the dust can cause sand madness.

Heat up two marbles in the oven on the clean cycle for five hours, then jam a straw in each one and blow really, really hard to evacuate the center. Pour the ground sand down the straws, pull them out and mash 'em together to connect the openings that were left.

For the frame, try two dimes and some toothpicks that are nicely chromed. Electroplating the wood is left as an exercise for the reader.
>>
>>1020352
Wow, thaks a lot.
>>
>>1020352

Will McDonald's straws do?
>>
>>1020354
Now you'd better fucking follow up on it OP
>>
>>1020352
Bullshit

Op, if you are serious about doing this, I would imagine the process would involve:
- obtain glass tubing from a manufacturer
- Use a blow torch, some tongs, and glassblowing techniques to create the taper and seal off the ends, leaving an opening in one to put the sand in
- By trial and error, add and remove sand until you get the required time.
- make the stand. A lathe would be required to make a stand like the one in your picture, but you could use some dowels and a couple pieces of thin plywood.
>>
>>1020464
Sounds like someone has a Stage III case of sand madness. My condolences.
>>
>>1020862
I work with Time. Sand madness is a serious temporal disease not to be taken lightly. Although delusions of linear temporal pragmatism are usually associated with stage II sand madness, that poster does exhibit classic tell-tale symptoms of stage III with his attempts to intervene with the chance-fate continuum. It's sad, but there's really nothing we can do, or have done short of pulling ourselves into a temporal paradox.
>>
>>1020356
No they will just melt. You need Starbucks straws. They are high quality and can withstand high temps
>>
>>1020352
>sand madness
is that a health condition?
>>
>>1020354
Can't tell if b8
>>
Quit shitposting please.
I actually made a glass sandclock some time ago with a glass tube, a jet torch and a drill.

I used the drill as a substitute for a glass lathe, I set it to spin at a couple rps and heated the end of the tube with the torch, then with a steel tool I closed the end, let cool slowly.
Then I make the neck, I heat the middle of the tube and press with the metal tool while spinning.
Finally I introduce beach sand and seal the end like I did at the beggining.
It is important to let the glass cool slowly after each operation.

Mine lasts around 30 seconds, you'll have to get very fine sand and make an extremely thin neck if you want 25 minutes.
>>
>>1021400
Great work, but I just have one question. How did you get the sand to flow sideways?
>>
>>1020352
Kek
>>
>>1021450
>so fat he has his own gravity pulling sand towards him
>>
File: 1468332103576177288963.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
1468332103576177288963.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2560
I've only made 30sec timers...oldest to newest
>>
>>1021450
The picture is just rotated, but I think I could make it work with some powerful magnets and metal powder in place of sand.

Oh, I could use a variable output elector-magnet to change how fast the thing runs. A control dial on the side labeled "Flow of Time, do not touch".

Bonus points if I can get it to fall up when time flow setting is a negative value.

Man I need a work space and time, so many cool ideas, no place to build them. :(
>>
>sandclock

It is called an, "hourglass".
>>
>>1021742
He only wants it to count 30 seconds, smart guy
>>
>>1020352
>oven on the clean cycle
sooo close to being believable
>>
>>1020332
ive never heard them being called 'sandclocks' before i've always just called the hourglasses or egg timers
>>
>>1021809
thirtysecondglass then, or halfaminuteglass.
ladies choice
>>
>>1021504
Let me guess, you're the same shitposter from the gunsmithing thread.
>>
>>1021652
Magnetic fields and gravity do not work similarly enough for this to work at a macro scale. Gravity is a constant force over an arbitrary distance while magnetic force diminishes as a square of the distance from the source of the flux. If you were to build such a device as you described it would pick up all the metal at once and clog up the opening very quickly. And if you think you can get around this by having the sand chambers especially large you would need an extremely powerful magnet; like the kind you couldn't have in the same room as a computer.
>>
>>1021833
Gravity also square.
>>
>>1021833

Could probably make it work with a pulsing electromagnet.
>>
>>1021852
Technically yes, but for calculations near the surface of the planet it's practically constant.
>>
>>1021400
TEACH ME MASTER!!!
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.