[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so i'm a fuckin idiot who used an impact to tighten a belt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Screenshot_20160709-113510.png (3 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160709-113510.png
3 MB, 2560x1440
so i'm a fuckin idiot who used an impact to tighten a belt pulley idler bolt. it completely destroyed the threads. last night i had amazon ship me aluminum epoxy, and a 14mm tap. what is my best plan of action?
i was wondering if i could slab the epoxy in there, lube up my bolt, put it in, leave in for 2 hrs, then carefully unscrew the bolt and be left woth perfect threads? doubt this would work, just hop8ng it would. otherwise, i assume ill have to slab the epoxy in there, and use the tap to create new threads, which idk how it would go.

p.s. idc if the bolt isnt easily unscrewed if that helps, just need this car on the road asap.

p.p.s. pic related, its the red bearing not that it matters
>>
I would look at doing a helicoil before epoxy.
>>
>>1020183
follow instructions, epoxy the thing, then use tap

dont try to be special
>>
>>1020187

Helicoil is the official machinist method
>>
>>1020187
I'd definitely do a thread insert instead of trying to tap epoxy. The only instance where I wouldn't is if you are in a place where the metal is so thin that you'd risk breaching a oil galley or coolant way.
>>
If it's tapped into the block I'd do helicoil. If you already bought the stuff you can try your way. I'd personally tap the epoxy after it sets, otherwise your bolt may just get epoxied in. You could try coating the bolt with oil, but I'd be afraid it would affect the epoxy. I see the bolt breaking taking it out, the epoxy breaking taking the bolt out , or the threads being brittle or plyable and breaking when you torque it down. I see 3 possible negative outcomes to the 1 positive, so I wouldn't risk it. Epoxy drill tap, and if that doesn't work drill again and helicoil.

If it's not something in the block(like a bracket) I'd just hit up a junkyard and snatch one for a couple bucks. It's unlikely but it's worth looking at. Manufacturers use the same engine for different cars, and some of that stuff is modular when the accessory lay out won't work in some vehicles. I don't know anything about subarus other than changing an idler pulley on the timing chain once like 10 years ago.

Best of luck to you bro.
>>
>>1020187
yeah, a car timing belt is something you don't want skipping. not to mention the bolt and idler flying about
>>
Thanks for your input lads. As everyone points out here, the proper way to do it is with a helicoil insert, so that is what i shall do. Ordered a 14mm kit from amazon today, will be here tomorrow, likely in the morning, god i love amazon.
>>
>>1020183
Just FYI, I have poured epoxy and tapped it. Worked reasonably well and is holding 50 psi but I wouldn't trust it in your situation OP. I get the feeling it would last 50 to 1000 miles and fail.
>>
I just came here to hate on aluminum. Best of luck OP
>>
>>1020183
Everyone make mistakes but you got mess up by your stupidity
>>
You can dissolve the bolt out if its an aluminium block.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqZYgReuywM
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.