[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, my sister is moving back home, and we share an air duct,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: plug.jpg (1 MB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
plug.jpg
1 MB, 2304x1728
Alright, my sister is moving back home, and we share an air duct, and she has really sensitive hearing and will complain about my tv being too loud even though it seems quiet to me. Is there anyway to sound proof my ducts or stop sound from traveling through them?

It's not a problem blocking the air or heat because I have a separate heater/ air conditioner that solely blows into my room through a separate unit that was installed after the duct work was.

How can I stopped sound from traveling up and through it into her room so she can have her peace and I can actually hear my tv?
>>
>>1019878
duct tape
>>
>>1019878
When she is not home, take her vent off then stuff some foam in it
laugh when she bitches its too hot or cold
>>
>>1019886
I wouldn't mind stuffing foam on my side because I don't need the ducts to blow heat or air because like I said I have a separate unit from the entire house that doesn't use the duct work.

Would shoving foam up my side be any cause for concern, I mean is it safe to do so? Could certain materials present a fire hazard being in the duct during winter when the heat will be blasting?
>>
>>1019892
>fire hazard
If the temperature is getting high enough for things to catch fire in your ventilation system something is very wrong.
>>
>>1019896
Lol, so I take that as a no.

What then is the most effective substance to use to block sound that can easily be fitted in through the vent and not opening up the ventilation via the attic?
>>
>>1019908
Just get a block of foam from Joanns or Michael's, the stuff sold back with the polyfill. It's not super cheap, but it's going to block sound (and airflow). Often it's got a light green tint, but it is NOT floral foam.

You could probably also just put in a Styrofoam baffle, but you'd need to actually fit it properly rather than just shove some roughly the right size foam in.
>>
Speaking of sound proofing, is there any way to "sound proof" a specific wall that is really thin so my room-mate can't hear my voice? I was looking into acoustical foam but apparently that doesn't necessarily block sound, it simply absorbs echoes and such and they cost a shit ton of money..
>>
>>1019926
rockwool panels might help and they are cheaper, but you'd have to frame them so you can hang them up, much cheaper than acoustic foam
>>
>>1019908
I'd say a section of rigid insulation, styrofoam, or the expanding plumbers foam. Or a combo
>>
>>1019926
park a mattress against the wall
>>
>>1019878
>headphones
>>
>>1019933
Forgot to mention sorry, the walls are ultra fucking thin so I can't really frame anything unfortunately.
>>1019968
Sounds convenient, I can just lay it on the floor for when someone comes over, serves a double purpose.. jk no-one comes over ;_;
>>
>>1019878
Pump mustard gas into the system. No need to worry about her complaining anymore.
>>
>>1020018
Mustard gas is heavier than air and would need to be pumped in from the attic for maximum effect which anon says here >>1019908 that he doesn't want to do
>>
instead of foam just go buy a bag of cotton batting for stuffed animals... don't take it out of the bag... take the vent cover off, shove bag into duct... put cover back on... plastic keeps the cotton from getting screwed up... it squishes to fit... it's like a few bucks a bag...
>>
>>1019926
Get wall curtains that are thick and heavy
>>
>>1019878
>>>1019926
>Get wall curtains that are thick and heavy

For the thin wall guy. Lots of layers, not stretched tight.
>>
>>1019878
Ear plugs to ignore her complaints, turn up TV to compensate for ear plugs.

Or compromise and get headphones.
>>
>>1020321
>>1020362
I can't nail anything man.. the walls are too thin..
>>
>>1020642
Do you live in a paper walled pagoda?
>>
>>1020321
>Get wall curtains that are thick and heavy
>moms spaghetti
>>
>>1020642
then hang them from the ceiling, dummy
>>
>>1019878
>Open up the air duct
>Measure it height and width
>make two foam walls that take the full width of the duct and half the height.
>place one on the bottom of the duct and two feet (it can be shorter if you can't reach that far) from it place the other wall on the ceiling of the duct.
>Sound is dampened while not restricting airflow more than 20%.

It's a design I learned from silencers on pistols back in 2000.
>>
The simplest solution would be blocking her vent with something that could block out the sound
>>
>>1020646
Close.. I live in a small apartment in downtown Toronto (Canada) ;_;
>>1020737
Oh shit, that's a possibility? I'll definitely look into that then, thanks anon!
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.