[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So a couple nights ago my dog woke me up barking at my window,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1463869362496-1394278657.jpg (754 KB, 1152x2048) Image search: [Google]
1463869362496-1394278657.jpg
754 KB, 1152x2048
So a couple nights ago my dog woke me up barking at my window, figured he heard the neighbors cat. So I turned on my nightlight to go get him and calm him down, when I heard footsteps running in the grass away from in between our two houses (my room is ground level). I ran out front with my flashlight and saw a figure running around the corner. I came back in, and reluctantly got back to sleep. I've been a little freaked out the past few nights and been trying to think of ways I could my window more secure, without locking it because my room stays warm for a couple hours after I go to sleep without it. I know some will suggest locking it and getting a fan through my door or something, and that is my last resort. I want to make some security system of my own, I have some reed switches and I was going to make a clothesline pin switch for a buzzer, but I'm also thinking to boobytrap it like gluing thumbtacks up along the bottom of the window, idk. My german shepard is loyal and I'm glad he sleeps in my room, but I think I want to prevent someone from being able to get in.

tl;dr Any security system or booby trap ideas for a window /diy/? I put a timestamp just for kicks

Note I'm doing this on my phone, but about to transfer over to my laptop
>>
http://www.amazon.com/Spy-Gear-Lazer-Defense-Network/dp/B00CNNPPAC
>>
>>996737
>buy airsoft gun
>rig the trigger to an electronic switch
>buy this >>996739
>rig the alarm buzzer to the electronic trigger
>point it towards the entrance
Bonus points if you link it with a webcam to aim the gun by using blob detection algorithms.
>>
>>996737
The burglar heard your german shepherd, he saw you with you outside with a light.
What incentive would bring him back when there are thousands of other places to rob?

A thief is going to scratch your house off the list I would think, unless you made someone mad enough to want to murder you.

If you insist on keeping the fan in the window, and the window open...

Use something to stop the window from being opened all the way. Buy a 2x6, cut it down and chock the window.
An intruder would have to kick your fan in and then shimmy through the chocked door.
>>
>>996737
Go for bird spikes if you need to put something on the windows, booby traps can get you sued.
Limiting how far the window can open is also a good idea, they make metal clamps that go on the track, or you could use some wood as >>996743 suggested.
>>
OP here I have to go, but I'll leave it on auto update. May have to continue the thread later sorry. Keep posting your ideas tho
>>
>>996737

>Purchase shot gun
>Shoot any mother fucker that tries to get in
>leave their heads on spikes outside the window to deter future unwanted guests

you're welcome- /k/
>>
>>996737
You already have the best alarm there is, you have a big dog
>>
>>996758
yup
>>
>>996737
>I'm also thinking to boobytrap
which is actually illegal, at least here in the States

honestly, secure the fan in the window frame with plywood and 2x4 screwed into the window frame, on three sides, so you can slide the fan out, use a charley bar or something similar with a hasp and pad lock

it'll look shitty, but it'll work, you could also just put up window bars
>>
File: 821138238_1381248483.jpg (47 KB, 594x250) Image search: [Google]
821138238_1381248483.jpg
47 KB, 594x250
Ok I'm now reading the responses. Thanks bros
>>
>>996739
Ok, but I don't think I need anything fancy to detect My windows been opened

>>996741
Will consider

>>996743
I don't think the same guys going to come back, but I feel somewhat vulnerable sleeping in a room not facing the street and without proper security

>>996744
>>996770
I was somewhat joking when I said "boobytrap," nothing like Home Alone or anything, just a deterrent

>>996756
Last resort, sure

>>996758
True, but I want to protect him as much as he protects me
>>
>>996743
Just read about the window chock. I'll probably go with that for now
>>
The clothes pin alarm and window chock are probably a good setup short of adding bars across the window. You'll want 2 chocks for the window, one with fan and one for closed without. Sliding window latches are pretty easy to force open when no one is home. The chock will require them to break glass which may call more attention.
>>
>>996737
Had a problem with a peeper a few years ago, strung up a bunch of high tensile fishing line in my front, back and side yards, about knee high, some were meant to make you fall, some pulled a pin on a portable motel room alarm, 2 when tripped set off some lights, caught him the first night he came back, broke his leg and shoulder with a bat
>>
>>996785
i think you do something like automated pepperspray,

hell, get a good audio system and get a high quality recording of a chainsaw revving with you screaming "motherfucker you picked the wrong house." or "I'm going to bury next to the last guy"

or the distinct "clack cack" of a shotgun and foot stomps
>>
cutting some 2x4 right now. I'll put some trip wires and other things anons have suggested when I get some time
>>
>>996835
omfg that is gold
>>
Just get bars for the window
>>
Heh wouldn't it be funny if OP got murdered
>>
>>996884
He should have just armed his dog with shotguns. What jury would send a dog to jail?
>>
wow this thread just won't die. I'm used to /b/ where threads only last 3 hrs tops is someone is posting every 20s. Also love how I can give myself a name
>>
File: image642152x.jpg (28 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
image642152x.jpg
28 KB, 620x350
>>996926
If hear some news about a German Shepard shooting an intruder please don't tell the cops about this thread

Interesting article btw if anybody's interested
>>
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dog-shoots-man-thats-news/
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.