[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Putting a sedan on anFull motion simulator
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 300x212) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 300x212
Sup /diy/ I swear to god this isn't /o/ related

I'm buying a Lexus SC400/LS400 because I need the engine for a project.

>dat 1uzfe

I can then part out and scrap the rest of the car, or..

The chances are good that I will end up with a LS400 with a nice interior, or a SC400 2 door with an okay interior.

What if I took that shell, kept the nice interior, put it all up on a motion platform with a projection screen and wired up the controls?

I searched for motion platform threads already. The hydraulics and controllers are coming down in price, it looks like. I used to dream of having a cockpit only motion sim, and now I think this is really doable.

what think you?
>>
>>1019416

I want to say "you are in so far over your head that you don't even know enough to know how far in over your head you are". But this isn't necessarily an entirely unrealistic project.

The most glaring issue is the odds that you don't actually have a place to put this. Throwing a car around takes a LOT of force, even if you strip it down to the body, frame, and interior. You can't just bolt this thing to some shitty 6" slab of concrete and expect it to hold up. If you DO have a solid foundation to stick this to, it's not a concern, but if you don't, you're either going to be shelling out to have one poured, or busting your ass for god knows how long doing the bulk of the work yourself.

You're also going to need the help of someone with machine and metal fabrication tools, as it's unlikely you're going to find off-the-shelf parts to make all of this work.

And, of course, there's the problem of actually interfacing the mechanics to the electronics. Even if you're able to find something ready-made that can pull useful physics data out of the game engine(s) you're wanting to play in, you're still going to need some way of converting that data into signals for the hydraulic controls to use. With as many variables involved as there are, I'd be willing to bet there's no way you're going to find suitable hardware to do that. At bare minimum, you're going to need to enlist the help of an electronics guy, if not outright learn how make what you need yourself.

You're looking at a long, difficult, expensive project no matter what. $5 says you never finish it, if you even get started.
>>
>>1019421
>$5 says you never finish it, if you even get started.

Sounds like 90% of the pipe dreams on this board.
>>
>>1019421

he could put it in a cargo container

Or if he needs more width, two cargo containers next to each other with a roof over the middle area with his crazy taxi full lotion ride
>>
File: animated bird u wan sum fuk.gif (1 MB, 250x141) Image search: [Google]
animated bird u wan sum fuk.gif
1 MB, 250x141
>>1019455

>full lotion
>>
>>1019455
For a foundation he can fill a shipping container with concrete and bury it.
>>
>>1019416
>> coming down in price
Just how much money do you have? It might be expensive to get actuators with the required bandwidth
>>
File: Motion_platform_6_axis.jpg (80 KB, 747x405) Image search: [Google]
Motion_platform_6_axis.jpg
80 KB, 747x405
>>1019522

I was thinking of a Stewart platform

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewart_platform

>>1019421
>The most glaring issue is the odds that you don't actually have a place to put this. Throwing a car around takes a LOT of force, even if you strip it down to the body, frame, and interior. You can't just bolt this thing to some shitty 6" slab of concrete and expect it to hold up. If you DO have a solid foundation to stick this to, it's not a concern, but if you don't, you're either going to be shelling out to have one poured, or busting your ass for god knows how long doing the bulk of the work yourself.

I think that your lack of understanding about force transmission makes your entire comment invalid

http://www.inmotionsimulation.com/

Scroll down through some of the applications. People are putting Humvees on these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFGKzfeKYHc

I could order this in a kit from China I bet
>>
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/REFURBISHED-CAR-DRIVING-TRAINING-SIMULATOR-MOTION_50021465898.html

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/6dof-hydraulic-electric-pneumatic-motion-platform_60358082416.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.LhSHcd

HOW MUCH DO I TRUST THE CHINKS WITH MY LIFE
>>
File: simpsons lisa reading derp.png (180 KB, 427x348) Image search: [Google]
simpsons lisa reading derp.png
180 KB, 427x348
>>1019548
>I think that your lack of understanding about force transmission makes your entire comment invalid

>high dynamic loading from powerful hydraulic system
>requires at least some cursory consideration regarding what you attach it to

>"HURR DUR U DON'T KNOW ANYTHING"

I have no idea if this guy plans on using some existing piece of the house's foundation or trying to hold it down with tent stakes. It'd be prudent to at least check.
>>
So you're rich enough to just go out and buy a Lexus without intending to drive it, but not rich enough to buy this rig you want?

Fucking pov
>>
Waste of money, time and effort.

The Army uses portable MRAP rollover trainers and a similar steel frame would work. Mount sim to a heavy equipment trailer and build the outer cockpit container to be waterproof. Cannon and Amphenol will happily sell you MilSpec connectors.

Project is stupid for a sedan. If you are going to piss away the cost of another car on a car that can't go anywhere at least make it in race car format.

Or you could spend the money for laps on a REAL track, because a sim can't match the behaviors of a real vehicle under the loads and on the surface of a real track.

Part the leftovers out. If you haven't finished ALL your other projects taking on an epic time waster isn't smart.

Do you have a very well equipped shop with welders, lathe and miling machine? If not, you are a fool to build toys before tools. Tools will get you MANY toys and last a lifetime.

Tools get you more toys, cheap. Sell off your junk, put the money to work. You'll be ready to build an auto sim when it's so easy for you that you don't need to ask basic questions about it.
>>
>>1019573
>So you're rich enough to just go out and buy a Lexus without intending to drive it, but not rich enough to buy this rig you want?

It's easy to find donor cars for projects at auto auctions etc. Lexus isn't special.
>>
>>1021141
Could you explain more? How much did this cost op?
>>
>>1021182
I'm not OP, but if you check out Copart and other auto auctioneers you'll learn how much of the US used car industry buys and sells between dealers and sometimes to the general public. Some auctions let anyone bid, others require a dealer license but there are dealers who will handle it for you.

It's very common for dealers to buy vehicles with moderate damage then buy donors to fix them. (With a donor of the right paint color you can get a much better parts deal than buying retail. For example I drive a pickup whose nose, bed, cab with title, and frame with drivetrain came from different vehicles. My boss sold it to me when he retired and I helped build it so I know it was correct.)

I don't know how OP got his donor, but prices can be absurdly low for a car a dealer or towing company wants to get rid of. Towing companies obtain title to abandoned cars by magistrate sale then auction them off. You have to do a lot of homework, and preferably have a buddy with a dealer license who knows local prices.

For example a nice donor may be totaled by a hard hit on the rear quarter (for unibody cars/SUVs) or a hit that buckled the cab floor or folded a crush zone on the frame, My truck chassis/drivetrain came from a rollover which totaled the cab. The cab came from a frame hit which totaled the donor frame. The rest came from salvage. I don't have any bent parts.

Some vehicles are built this way from private party vehicles. Seller may have a blown trans and need money urgently. A donor may be a rear hit with a fine drivetrain. Rape ensues.
>>
>>1021955
Other times a good used car may not interest buyers who came to the auction for specific vehicles.

It takes considerable lurking, and don't go shopping hungry.
>>
Yeah, sounds like OP is buying an old Lexus for 800-1200 bucks, stripping out the V8 which gives decent power and never dies, and then is confused about what to do with the shell of the car + seats, if the seats are still nice.

I would just part it out and sell it all and build a new little platform using the seats and interior parts, if you're that much in love with sitting in a mid 90s import luxo-car.
>>
>>1019416
Let me guess, you're the guy from /o/ that is swapping a jeep/miata/iCan'tRemember with the toyota V8.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.