[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rack for tools
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: rack.jpg (113 KB, 1354x1354) Image search: [Google]
rack.jpg
113 KB, 1354x1354
Before doing one myself (out of plywood), does anyone know if something like this is commercially available?
Something like this = a rack (that probably looks like a bike parking rack) that allows you to store tool cases standing up, side by side making storage and identification easier that just storing them like books on a shelf (for example) or one on top of the other.
I know this is a diy board but I'm lazy and I'd prefer to buy one already made

Thanks in advance!
>>
resting toolboxes on their side is stoooooopid. everything gets shoved to one side and you have to spend 3 minutes reorganizing it every time.
>>
File: plastic.gif (110 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
plastic.gif
110 KB, 540x540
>>1019338
OP here
Maybe I wasn't very clear in my first post ...
I meant plastic molded cases. The ones for kits like impact sockets or ball joint press etc etc.
Image related
>>
>>1019357
Stand em up faggot, you dont need a rack. Buy bookends cause you sure cant make em.
>>
>>1019321
>store tool cases standing up, side by side making storage and identification easier that just storing them like books on a shelf (for example) or one on top of the other.

how is what you are doing better than stacking/standing them?
>>
Why tf do you keep stuff in the box? The boxes are made for construction workers who need to tote that shit around to multiple job sites. For home use you just throw away the plastic box and store it in your tool box. You're not traveling anywhere. Look at how much wasted space each box is taking up with all that extra plastic. If you took all of those tools out and laid them side by side, then lined up all of the boxes, the consolidated tools would easily be less than half the length of those boxes. So much wasted space. This is literally what tool boxes or shelves are for. You're trying to go long for storage, but instead you should be going up. Garages, shops, etc. all of the free unused space is up top. No one needs to work on stuff around the ceiling but we all need floor space. That's why the most efficient type of storage is skinny AND tall. This helps preserve floor space. Throw the cases away, buy a nice tool box or shelf, and store your tools in there.

Full disclaimer: some cases do have a legitimate function. Example would be a Dremel box which is designed to hold the tool and all of the million small accessories/attachments/extensions that go with it.
>>
File: garage.jpg (34 KB, 611x573) Image search: [Google]
garage.jpg
34 KB, 611x573
OP here
Number one:
My garage is small and weirdly configured: There's the "rectangle" for the car and there's one extension (the size of a small bathroom) where I built a small table and shelves. The problem is that the rectangle is not large enough to allow one car AND one rolling (big) toolbox, and the "extension" is raised about 6 inches from the garage's floor
Number two:
I have a lot of "semi-specialized" tool kits that I don't want to mix with the rest of my "regular tools". Things like: puller kit, snap ring pliers kit, torque limiting 1/2" extensions, hex+torx kit, brake caliper kit, ball joint kit etc etc
Number three:
Because I have a small garage, a lot of times I have to friends' houses to fix their cars (yeah, I do that once in a while)
Number four (see picture):
On one side, the garage is ~20" wider than the door (~10" on the other) and on that wall I built some shelves (blue color) and under them there's enough space for my family's bicycles (red color). However, there's a lot of wasted space (orange) behind the bikes on the floor that I'd like to use
Number five:
All the space from chest level (not lower because I want to be able to open the car's doors) to the ceiling (which is not really high) is occupied by shelves with stuff

I hope I was clear enough the third time ...
>>
File: KTL7023PCM.jpg (326 KB, 3383x2298) Image search: [Google]
KTL7023PCM.jpg
326 KB, 3383x2298
Try this.
>>
File: garage.jpg (37 KB, 611x573) Image search: [Google]
garage.jpg
37 KB, 611x573
>>1019667
forgot the "updated" pic
>>
>>1019669
That looks stupid
>>
>>1019670
ha, you should see my hand writing!
>>
>>1019507
Slightly harsh fella
>>
OP here ...
It looks like I'll have to build my own
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.