[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remudding a room and praying for death
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
How much effort should it be to remud a room?

I've been working since Friday (with a significant break yesterday) and I'm nearing the point where I'm ready to paint. I've used 70lbs of joint compound already and I'm feeling like this is too much as I haven't even done the ceiling yet. How badly did I screw up?

On a side topic, at what point do you say the job is too big for you and hire someone. I'm starting to doubt my ability here.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
I don't know why that picture is sideways. That's supposed to be a wall.
>>
Haha. (1) Why didn't you just lay one SINGLE sheet of drywall instead of throwing shit at the wall, ya idiot?
On a side note, i've been guilty of that offense and have learned (1) the hard way as well.
>>
>>1018924

Also, it looks like you're mudding with a spoon. Get a 10 or 12 inch tape knife, ffs!
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I've been standing down the skim coat that I put on and it's generating so much dust it's ridiculous.
>>
>>1018926
I didn't put up the drywall. The walls are in shitty condition. There were marks all over and I wanted to smooth them so I've been skim coating them to remove the texture, hide the imperfections and make them smooth
>>
>>1018921
I whole heartedly believe that Sheetrock was invented by Satan himself.
>>
>>1018927
I have a 10 inch one
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
This is the kind of shit that I'm trying to fix
>>
>>1018928

If you have 30$ bux and a shopvac, get a dustless sanding system. Or if you have moths in your pockets, get a sandind sponge and a bucket of water. It doesn't look like you're skim coating, waaaay too many knife marks. Long smooth strokes, like a JO session
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>1018936
There are parts where the wall is fucked and I've put on a thicker layer
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>1018936
Also, I've never done this before
>>
Here is a question for /diy/. How do I get the corner between walls to be square?
>>
>>1018950
And by square I think I mean a crisp right angle
>>
>>1018942
Couldn't tell

You're hardly skiming. You're slathering that shit on like its a painted whore.

If you're using the shit that comes premixed, then thats half your problem. As it dries it shrinks. Real mudders use the compound you mix with water and it CURES instead of dries.

Slap a bunch on your trowel and you should be able to go from ceiling to floor to apply a skim.
>>
>>1018953

It's not easy to skim a fucked up corner square with only mud. To get it crisp you need cornerbead but the surface has to be flat and this needs to be skimmed as well... so all in all, if the drywall is shit go scorched earth and just put new stuff in. geez
>>
>>1018921
oh lord
>>
>>1018921
I'll give you a tip use multi finish plaster not joint compound. Compound should be used for filling joints not plastering. If you do it properly you wont need to sand the plaster. This is the only way to do it easily with no messing around and sanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flUEmLj5454
>>
>>1018921
You really should have just put up new drywall, 70 lbs of compound is more expensive than resheeting a room. Just resheet whatever is left. If you've done that much finish it yourself for bragging rights.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.