[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CRT wavy distortion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_2588.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2588.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Does anyone know what causes this, what it is, and how to fix it?
It's a Coby portable Black & White TV and radio
>>
>>1018449
Magnets
>>
>>1018451
How do they work?
>>
>>1018451
I tried magnets on the screen, but it didnt do anything useful. To give more detail, the thick lines on the side are waving around really fast.
when i plug something into it, the input video takes the shape of the odd shape in the middle of the screen
>>
>>1018449
Take this to /vr/
>>
>>1018456
this is a tv, not a video game
>>
>>1018451
Doesn't look like a convergence problem to me.
>>
>>1018449
Needs degaussing.
>>
>>1018461
vr talks CRT all day long, kid.
>>
The deflection is fucked.

If you don't have access to an old-timey crt repair tech - who works for free - I'd say it's pretty much a lost cause.
>>
>>1018481
And don't try to DIY learn it yourself. I mean, sure go ahead. But I've pissed my pants on 5-6 occasions trying to repair CRT monitors before my company upgraded the scoring systems to LCDs. Touch the wrong thing and discharge the cap can lead to some unpleasant jolts.
>>
i fixed the problem: i used another power cord

rip lol. idk why it even worked, the adapter it came with, and the one that works with, are the same voltage.
>>
>>1018483

amper-ege is different
>>
>>1018449
That looks like a timing issue. Which generally means dried caps. But I'm not a CRT repairman, so I can't be sure. Someone who repaired (past tense, they are all retired now) CRT would know at a glance what was wrong.

Your first order of business is to track down the schematics for model. Second order of business is to find a CRT tech or a forum where old CRT techs will hang out.
>>
>>1018483
The power supply you used before may have been more noisy.
>>
>>1018483
Horizontal deflection is the most power-hungry part of the whole TV.

It literally has to swap the charge on the horizontal plates 14,000 times every second.

Vertical is only 60 times per second, and tube heat and the guns are both DC.

Not-enough-power and intermittant power will show up in horizontal first, because the other systems can to an extent compensate using ripple capacitors.
>>
>>1018449
Looks like power supply ripple. Check if the power supply voltage is adequate and smooth. We used to get this with open circuit main filter caps.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.