[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can anyone tell me if it possible to infuse glass and aluminium
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: HTB1pXtRHXXXXXbeXXXXq6xXFXXXk.jpg (104 KB, 536x524) Image search: [Google]
HTB1pXtRHXXXXXbeXXXXq6xXFXXXk.jpg
104 KB, 536x524
can anyone tell me if it possible to infuse glass and aluminium together, I tried chunks of glass with molten aluminium but the second you work on it all the glass falls out..... can I make the glass and aluminium stick/fuse together?
>>
>>1018249
In all honesty, probably not. Best suggestion would be to heat it up closer to the melting temperature of the glass (another ~300-400ºC beyond the melting point of aluminum) and see what happens. If you try, please post results (I'm curious now).
>>
>>1018249

what can wet glass to aluminum?

...the difference in thermal expansion rates can't be good tho
>>
>>1018249
You want more molten glass and less aluminium, I've seen glassware which had some sort of artsy alu inclusions put into it, but the difference in melting points probably makes this fairly difficult to do.
>>
I tried sanding off the glass after the first failed attempt, but the aluminium can't seem to find a place to stick. a friend suggested that I ensure that the glass forms are triangles, but even if it is triangles the moment I bring the grinder neat it to work it off the glass just falls off.
>>
>>1018249
There are special glasses which can be joined to aluminum, but I know nothing about their availability.
>>
Why not use transparent aluminium?
>>
>>1018281
Cue up a conference call to heaven and get Leonard and James on the line.
>>
>>1018285
Transparent aluminum actually exists though, AION, but /diy/ is not exactly viable
>>
>>1018298
And it's not aluminum, it's a ceramic containing aluminum. There's a difference.
>>
>>1018305
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire#Sapphire_glass
>>
>>1018254
Doesn't Aluminium evaporate at that temp? You might need to do this in a pressure vessel to find a place on the phase diagram where glass and aluminium are both liquid.
>>
...are you trying to make stained glass?
>>
>>1018341
> Doesn't Aluminium evaporate at that temp?
Obvious troll or just a lmgtfy?
>>
>>1018249
What in fucks name are you trying to do?

Check out metal matrix composites
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_matrix_composite

It appears someone has made one from aluminum and glass microballoons:
http://www.intechopen.com/books/metal-ceramic-and-polymeric-composites-for-various-uses/thermo-mechanical-treatment-of-glass-balloon-dispersed-metal-matrix-composite
>>
>>1018310
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire#Sapphire_glass

If you don't get the distinction between aluminum (Al) and alumina (Al2O3), I'm not going to try and explain it to you.
>>
You'd have to thread veins of glass and aluminium together for a physical binding. They won't adhere.
Doing that without a heavy specifically designed machine for it would be pretty bloody hard
>>
>>1018487
>not believing aluminum can evaporate
>>
>>1018901
Aluminium has a really high boiling point.

That's one of the reasons why it makes a decent Thermite.
>>
>>1018249
A word of warning, putting aluminum in molten glass will have a vary nasty side effect. Think pasta in too little boiling water, foams up. I saw a disgruntled employee through a aluminum frame bike into a glass furnace at a bottle plant, took the whole place down for a week.
>>
File: hadtogooglethisimage.gif (666 KB, 300x340) Image search: [Google]
hadtogooglethisimage.gif
666 KB, 300x340
>>1019502
Jesus fuck that sounds awful. I can just imagine it going off like weak fireworks.
>>
>>1018901
only when the temperature is high in a vacuum
>>
>>1018249
Its possible but you're going need some seriously fine glass particles (like 53 micrometer diameter) and magnesium in order to get the glass to wet with the aluminum. You'll also need a furnace that can get up to 790 C and can stay there.

Considering that magnesium burns at 473 C, I'd say don't try to making yourself a successful Al-SiO composite anytime soon, OP. You may die in a fire or an explosion.

Source:
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00737014
>>
Normally you can't even weld two pieces of glass together UNLESS they have very close COE.

So unless you have metal alloy with the same COE as glass — no, you can'pt join them simply by heating/welding/fusing/etc.
>>
>>1019690
To make is clearer to you, OP, what can normally be fused with what:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_expansion#Thermal_expansion_coefficients_for_various_materials
>>
>>1019685
2500C at atmospheric pressure.
>>
ok, this is a metorite
it is nickle and iron
make it the same way space would make a metorite
but replace iron with aluminium
>>
i can confirm as a sometimes glass blower that you can rollup aluminum foil on glass and gather over it at glass melt temp. Its ugly and result in some off gassing into the glass. Or foams up as other adnon said. Its not an attractive affect. The coe is close enough that they tolerate each other at certain ratios. So yes its possible but I would need to know more specifics and I could be bothered with the math. But in general yes I have done it with foil. I would speculate that a heavily leaded glass would have more tolerance for such things. But I can imagine few scenarios where it would look good.
>>
theirs a guy here in terre haute In. that has done this his name is mark sterling
>>
>>1018534
at the temperatures required to melt glass, in an oxidizing environment (such as air), aluminum will convert to alumina .This would take years unless the Al was very finely divided, though.
>>
>>1018249
You could make a matrix of the two using power metallurgy. Aluminum isn't going to chemically fuse with glass, and you can't do what it sounds like you are trying to do with metal casting or glass melting
>>
>>1020225
Yeah, I was just going to say that you might be able to infill glass with aluminum by packing a groove in the glass with aluminum powder and sintering it solid.
But i'm doubtful that it'll look exactly what you want, because you might not be able to polish it, the grainy texture will be throughout the metal.
>>
>>1019266
>Aluminium has a really high boiling point.
It's pretty fucking low as far as metals go, actually
>>
>>1020263
It's comparable to the boiling points of many everyday metals, like iron and copper.
But this is totally irrelevant here. Aluminum's boiling point is very high in comparison to the temperatures used in glass making.
>>
>>1018249

Have you even tried bringing the aluminum and glass to high enough temperatures for them both to be liquid and mixing them together?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.