[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
clogged sink
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: sink.png (9 KB, 250x232) Image search: [Google]
sink.png
9 KB, 250x232
My sink is clogged, and I can't run the dishwasher because the sink gets full of water. When the sink gets full, it drips out through the bottom of the garbage disposal. I want to take the U pipe off the bottom and see if that's where the clog is, but I don't have the tool to do it. what kind of wrench do I need? what should I be looking for? what should I expect? I am practically illiterate when it comes to stuff like this, but it has to be done. I would appreciate some suggestions
>>
File: mZpx7G5slcVleNp0P1GbPEg.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
mZpx7G5slcVleNp0P1GbPEg.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
Damn, I remember being exactly there.
You need a pipe wrench. Pic related.
And make sure you turn it in the right direction, you can damage the pipe.
>>
Have you tried running the disposal when it is full of water? 10/10 times my sink is clogged on the disposal side it's because the disposal has stuff in it and not the trap, either stuff that my wife added and forgot about or clogged with fiberous stuff like to much onion peel at once (it was a weak disposal.)
>>
>>1017643
Yeah I've tried that. what happens is, the disposal side water level goes down but the water level in the other side goes up or vice versa
>>
>>1017639
By that I mean having the wrench orientated in the proper direction for tightening and loosening.
>>
Before disassembling the sink, which you don't seem comfortable doing, you might try using a commonly available liquid drain cleaner (liquid-PlumR or store brand, whatever is on sale)

Specifically you probably want something for clogged/standing water.

Another option would be plunging the sink. Bail out a lot of water if there is a sloshing problem. Plunge the non-disposer side while you or a helper holds down a plug/cover/dishtowel on the disposal side to prevent the pressure from leaking in that direction. If you are going to plunge you should do this Before using a chemical cleaner.
>>
>>1017670
Tried both of those several times, to no avail. I'm not exactly comfortable disassembling the sink, but I know for a fact i'm capable of it. I'm just looking for a bit of insight
>>
>>1017639
>need a wrench to take off a sink bend
join the 21 fucking century where we have plastic fittings and just use your hands
>>
>>1017639
no. if he needs a tool at all it should be channel lock pliers. a pipe wrench is for grabbing bare threaded pipe, and his tap most certainly has a nut/washer situation.
>>
>>1017681
This house was built in 1960, all the fittings are metal
>>
>>1017644
Odd that the trap would clog up. Do you pour grease down the drain? Grease from bacon, 15/85 (or higher) burgers, anything pan fried, etc.?

I'm just curious because most objects that clog get mashed before entering the trap.
>>
>>1017638
you used a clog stick already?

it should be able to reach into the trap

>>1017683
>channel lock pliers
this
>>
>>1017638
Get a snake or the zip strip shown in >>1017710. Liquid plumber and other drain openers don't do shit in my experience. The u-shaped piece you're talking about is called a p-trap. It may or may not be only hand tight, but channel locks are all you need, though a pipe wrench will work if that's what you have. If you take it off while the sink is full, have a bucket ready, it will get messy and you will find out why plumbers get paid the way they do... Consider just replacing it, they aren't expensive. My guess is it's clogged from years of grease going through the disposal without running hot water after to flush the grease.

Oh, and have it inspected by a licensed plumber, because now if anyone is injured because of your (amateur) repair it's your fault, and you're liable.
>>
Probably clogged in the pipeline after your dishwasher... if the p trap was blocked water wouldnt come up through it. Also thatl be steel pipe, maybe lead whats a fuckin pain. My advice as a plumber, hire a plumber cuz ul probably just fuck it up.
>>
>>1017724
Liquid/powdered drain cleaner as i call them work decently for stuff like pipes coated with hair spray from someone doing their hair daily

Hell just cleaning the sink with powdered cleaner like ajax/comet helps with those slow drains

But yea at this point you have to take it apart and remove the clog, plunging down is always a bad idea, it forces the clog deeper and binds it up more, using suction/cavitation to pull the clog up and loosen it to let more water in around it to lubricate it and let it move works best

Go get a pipe wrench and a little coil snake, don't bother with the powered ones unless you're going to start doing it professionally

And you might want to replace the trap and pipes leading to the drain in the wall with plastic ones so you can take it apart by hand next time
>>
Jam a pressure washer nozzle down the drain and blast away.
>>
>>1017644
So logically, the clog is beyond the point where the two sink drains join.

Be prepared to remove the trap. It's not that difficult. The fittings are a bit flimsy, so major torque should not be required. Once the trap is removed, a clog in there can be removed and the plumbing further along can be snaked. Two sink setups are a bitch to snake without removing the trap. Also, two sink setups are difficult to plunge because you can never block all the disposal and dishwasher connections to let pressure build up. You just wind up pumping a bunch of dirty water back into the dishwasher.

If it's old metal drain fittings, now might be the time to pick up some plastic replacement drain parts. The metal rusts out and can break. A friend of mine had a sink full of dirty water and fish guts let loose under his kitchen counter thanks to rusted out pipes.
>>
File: ChannelLocks.jpg (7 KB, 450x138) Image search: [Google]
ChannelLocks.jpg
7 KB, 450x138
>>1017638
>what kind of wrench do I need?
Channel lock pliers are the best. Pipe wrench will work, but it's overkill and you can damage the flimsy drain fittings if you are not gentle.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.