[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /diy/, turns out my housemates are nosey fucks and like to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 20160703_214732.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
20160703_214732.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
hey /diy/, turns out my housemates are nosey fucks and like to go through my stuff while i'm not home. my door can't even be locked from outside.
thing is, my door handle seems to be fatter than any handle i've seen that has a proper lock, though admittedly i haven't exhausted my search quite yet.
the question is, is it possible to change the handle to one with a proper lock without having to saw the wood or leave open gaps at the sides? how likely is it to find one with the same size?

pic related, bottle cap for size reference.
>>
>>1017397
How did you hold the bottle cap at the side like that? Is your door handle magnetic?
>>
>>1017398
funny, anon. it rotated the image, who knows why.
>>
>>1017398
suggest, tilt you head to left, look again - be careful, you brain(s) dont fall out tho.
>>
>>1017397
http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-stainless-steel-effect-round-internal-locking-door-knob-pack-of-1/190896_BQ.prd?gclid=CL-U77P-180CFRUTGwodYnAGqw&ppc_type=shopping&ecamp=SEAPLA190896_BQ&ss_kwcid=AL!3454!3!{creative}!{matchtype}!{placement}!{network}!{product_partition_id}!{keyword}&CAWELAID=120147360000326704&CAGPSPN={ifpla:pla}{ifdyn:dyn}&CAAGID={adgroupid}&CATCI={targetid}&ef_id=VyTUyQAABDnGHqD8:20160703190517:s
Thumb turn on the inside, keyhole on the outside. Lock and take the key with you.
>>
Move.
>>
>>1017406
sadly not an option.
>>1017404
thanks! do these things come in standard sizes?
>>
>>1017409
no standard sizes, sometimes the fittings varies eg location of the through-bolt thing or size of the hole in the door, but usually the same types require minimal work to change, maybe you need to saw off the wood a little bit to accommodate, or if you are lucky it would just fit

make sure to get the one with a lock and a key tho
>>
>>1017397
if it doesn't fit, at least try adding a deadbolt

it's probably worth it even if it would mean eventually replacing the door
>>
Rig up an unloaded shotgun pointed at the door and tie a string connecting the trigger to the handle
Next time they open your door, they'll shit their pants and never risk opening it again
>>
>>1017397
Watch the film 'Shallow Grave', then move into the attic.
>>
>>1017397
>the doorknob is big so the hole must be big too!

idiot just take off the doorknob and look at the hole. Unless the house was built pre 1940s, you can buy a $10 key doorknob from lowes and put it on
>>
>>1017397
>>1017492
This all you need is a screwdriver, plus lowes has a no question asked return policy even if you open it, so if it doesn't fit return it an go find one with a bigger cover, but that looks like a normal size doorhandle so you shouldn't have a problem
>>
>>1017502
Sometimes you need an allen wrench and a knife to fuck around with the shallow mortise if the new one is slightly different.
>>
>>1017402
Because 4chan removes the exif data, which also happens to store the image's orientation.
>>
>>1018976
>tfw Windows Phone
>tfw literally never have these orientation problems
>>
>>1018976

But how will the 4chan Anonymous find a killer next time?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.