[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning carpentry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: rough-carpentry-04.jpg (376 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
rough-carpentry-04.jpg
376 KB, 1024x768
I'll be starting an apprenticeship in a couple weeks with a local union. I hear this is terrible idea due to no work and monthly union dues.
How'd you learn it?
>>
>>1017168
I didn't/haven't learned carpentry but at the construction company I work for they send you to night school for 10 months or some shit to become a carpenter apprentice. Not really sure how the field guys work their way up from apprentice to carpenter foremen though. I think it's the smarts, people skills, and computer skills which separates them from the rest. The carpenter guys that work for the concrete department here generally build the formwork.

I'm just a couple years into the industry though, going to school for construction management. Due to enter the workforce in 2018 full time, hopefully as an assistant superintendent if I'm good enough and if I stay at my company for the next couple summers and transition into a full time position there.
>>
Myself?

I foolishly quit my job.Then, when it got time for me to find a new one my friend told me to just work with him as a laborer for a framing company.

It was that easy.No interview, nothing, just ok, you want a job, well here you go.
>>
>>1017168
If you just wanna learn framing carpentry. it'll probably be a waste of time and money joining a union.

Honestly I'd look around your area and try to find builders that survived the last housing recession. (If you wanna do residential). These are the people that have smarts about them and usually won't lay you off in 3 years cause work dried up and they ended up spending their nest egg.

I became a finish carpenter with no prior experience. I just happened upon it after losing my previous job.

Also generally carpenters don't make shit. So if you wanna have a certain lifestyle you might wanna think about other options after you secured a job.
>>
If you have no prior experience with carpentry/tools/building in general then you'll probably spend a lot of time hauling lumber and plywood around for a good while and passing things to the journeymen carpenters, all while they give you shit and fucking with you, especially the first week or more. If you work hard and dont have your head up your ass then eventually they'll make you a cut man, or nail off sheathing and studs etc. Basically they'll give you a 1 minute rundown on what you will do, then you do that for pretty much the whole day until that phase is done. You wont have to do any math or barely any measuring unless they have you cut, then its just repeating shit they call out to you. If your foreman is worth a shit he'll have everything written down, lengths of studs, headers, cripples, plates laid out, lines snapped for walls etc. and you'll just follow what the journeymen do.
>>
>>1017168
I always wanted to be able to build houses so I went into the office of a construction company that had a Carpenters Wanted sign out the front. Said "I'm not a carpenter but I'd like to be one."
Started the next day as a laborer worked there for almost a year then started an apprenticeship learning everything on tools.. with mandatory book work to be completed at my own pace supplied through the education branch of the government or whatever..

There are year long pretrade courses at polytechs or carpentry courses at tech schools. but at the end of completion you still have to do the same apprenticeship and theory book work that I did as part of my apprenticeship.

And there's no real advantage of doing a pretrade,

I'm in NZ i guess its different there
>>
As far as the whole, "union dues" thing goes.

As far as being an electrical union member, I pay not quite 1509 bucks a year. HOWEVER I make way more money because of that. Our dues go towards paying the office ladys.
>>
>>1017168
>go to trade school
>get 1-2 years on the job experience
>buy a house
>flip it
>buy more houses
>flip them
>buy rentals
>shitpost on 4chn all day

Fuck that union shit, just another hand in your pocket.
>>
>>1020068
thinking about this based /diy/hard.

>3 years framing experience
>live under slum lord so install shower, floors, electrical, cosmetics to my rental
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.