[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Picked up some Vinyl planks to redo the flooring in my bathroom.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 725-6576_interior.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
725-6576_interior.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
Picked up some Vinyl planks to redo the flooring in my bathroom.

However when i pulled up the carpet that was there i could see that the owner before me had at one point put tile down or something that required glue.

Now, i have sanded it down to where its fairly smooth but you can still feel slight bumps and there are a few low spots.

Nothing i would say greater then 1/16 of an inch.

I would go down further but im running into issues that the subfloor is MDF board and i am worried about making it worse if my sander gets down into it.

Having never installed vinyl my question is would it be ok to go ahead and put the planks over it with slight bumps and dips? It is meant to look like hardwood so to me a slight texture that might show up on the vinyl would not be a big issue. However my concern is that this will damage the planks and cause them to break over time.

All the searches i have come up with on google say to have the floor perfectly level... well im not going to get that unless i take the vanity out. pull up the MDF subfloor and put down a new sanded plywood subfloor.

This needs to be a quick project. i got home one day and my wife had the carpet ripped up, tack strips pulled out and handed me a few boxes of the planks and said we are doing this now. I dont mind it but holy crap i want my bathroom done before gusts come over for the 4th.

pic semi related. the planks are "EZ click premier"
>>
Lay down some self leveling compound first if you're worried about it. Unless you seriously fucked up the subfloor I don't see it mattering but other than that a roll of underlayment first may be another option as well.
>>
You could do a sheet of quarter inch ply, they make a kind specifically for underlayment that's smooth on both side. Or use acetone to take up the glue. Low points aren't an issue(assuming they're not large enough to affect multiple planks), high points are. Get a cheap wood chisel and a small hammer and knock them off. Plywood will only compensate for bumps so much, and it doesn't matter how good a sub floor looks as long as it's flat.
>>
>>1017124

One option we have talked about was to put some 1/4 inch plywood down on top of the subfloor.

Since we took out carpet and carpet padding we lost a little bit of depth and that would raise it back up to be a less noticeable drop.

The issue is is that today (Saturday) is shot. Sunday we are going to my parents house after church to help them with some trim work so Sunday is shot.

Which leaves me with Monday morning to afternoon to get this done so i want my battle plan ready to crank this crap out.

There is one spot where they owners before me installed a laundry shout to drop clothes down to the washer and dryer but it was tucked away in a corner behind the toilet bowl and was very awkward to use so i decided to patch it but trying to patch someone elses work that cant cut straight is hard to do. there is one spot that i was debating on putting some drywall compound on to smooth it out. with where its at a foot never even gets set on it but its still a big drop for vinyl floor.
>>
>>1017119
>redo the flooring in my bathroom
>the carpet that was there

Carpeted bathroom... ew?
>>
>>1017140

>ew?

Hense why it is getting redone.
>>
If your putting in lvp a 16th of an inch dip into going to matter it ain't sheet vinyl. Get rid of the bumps though. As for the laundry shoot cut a plug about the right size square. Then cut the hole to fit it much easier than making a custom plug. I can do 3 lvp bathrooms in a good work day so long as the prep isn't to crazy. You should be okay.
>>
Do the planks you purchased have attached underlayment? Most new click-together flooring that I've dealt with does. If not, you can buy sheets of underlayment at home improvement stores. That may not be the most /diy/ answer, but this is a specific product made for your exact need.
>>
If your putting in lvp a 16th of an inch dip into going to matter it ain't sheet vinyl. Get rid of the bumps though. As for the laundry shoot cut a plug about the right size square. Then cut the hole to fit it much easier than making a custom plug. I can do 3 lvp bathrooms in a good work day so long as the prep isn't to crazy. You should be okay.
>>
>>1017119
Old houses used black mastic.

>ASBESTOS
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.