[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What tools do you use for your projects? Type of tool, brand,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: an assortment of hammers.jpg (1 MB, 2780x2085) Image search: [Google]
an assortment of hammers.jpg
1 MB, 2780x2085
What tools do you use for your projects? Type of tool, brand, and so on? Which is your very favorite tool?
>>
>>1017075
>What tools do you use for your projects?
the right ones

>Which is your very favorite tool?
hands
>>
File: Ernest.gif (2 MB, 450x278) Image search: [Google]
Ernest.gif
2 MB, 450x278
>>1017075
The right tool for the right job.
>>
>>1017075
Oi mate shit off, yeah?
>>
>>1017093
>>1017102
Came here to say this. If my favorite tool was a pipe wrench I wouldn't use it if I was installing a new stereo in my car.
>>
>>1017110
do you get much into the audio aspect? or just the installation.....
>>
File: Picture 2.jpg (480 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Picture 2.jpg
480 KB, 1920x1080
> Which is your very favorite tool?
My grandfather used these pliers to repair RADAR equipment in WWII and his TV repair business after that. I don't just like them for sentimental reasons, they're really well made and the metal has some spring to it I don't find in modern tools.
>>
>>1017117
What do you mean?
>>
>>1017131
as in do you get deep into the researching of audio aspects, or do you just go to a store because you want a new stereo and put in whatever they have?

basically imagine going to best buy and getting whatever television looks the best to you vs. doing like 3 months of research on a single component.

I guess I'm asking, how did you go about picking out the individual elements of the stereo? general recs brand-wise?
>>
>>1017134
I find something with the features that I want at a price I'm willing to pay, then I check reviews. I also decide if reviews are worth taking into account based off how informed and biased the reviewer seems. That's head units at least. Same as how I do with anything. It's nice to get it locally, but if not possible oh well. 3 months for research on a TV or anything like that doesn't make sense to me, in that time something(or things) will come out that looks like a better product.

I don't look at the audio aspects too much for a car, I just want to be able to listen to whatever I want whenever I want. Car audio is never going to sound as good as a hifi set up in a tuned room with perfectly placed speakers and chair, and to get anywhere close you're going to pay for it. I'm not into the shaking car thing, but it's not hard to figure that out either, just make sure that your amps peak doesn't exceed the peak of your speakers. There are people that find those things important, but I don't.

Anything you buy from a decent manufacturer will sound good, but you hit a point where you have to ask yourself if one pair of speakers actually sounds better than another, or if you can even tell if they sound different.
>>
>>1017121
Thank you for being the only person to answer the OP question. Also those pliers are pretty boss with that kind of history to them.
>>
>>1017175
If someone says a name brand of any modern tool, they will get brigaded and called a shill.
>>
>>1017196
Excellent! I prefer 18V DeWalt cordless and corded power tools because I've found them to be durable and reliable.

I pick up legacy Snap-On, Craftsman, and Thorsen hand tools at pawn shops. I'm pretty picky about those, though. Some build styles are clunky and awkward for me to use. Same goes for certain eras of Stanley tools. Older Crescent tools are good, newer tend to suck. Rigid pipe and basin wrenches save you a lot of muscle ache and fatigue.

I prefer Miller welding equipment over Lincoln, which I'll take over Airco. It all gets dropped in favor of Powcon.

Victor regulators, blowpipes, and torches all the way.

Simplex jacking and pulling gear because it's indestructable.

GMC to haul it all around in, because that's what I'm comfortable working on and it's not a Ford.

Stihl gas powered tools because they take an amazing amount of abuse.

That's about all the brand whoring I can think of for now.
>>
>>1017075

german electrician here (seems like i am the only one in this board)

As screwdrivers i use the "Wiha soft finish", pliers are from "Knipex" and my wire stripper "Stripax" which is my favourite tool is made by "Weidmüller".

All those are german brands and i use them for the known high quality.
>>
>>1017075
Haha my first screwdriver set when I was a kid was just like the ones in OP's picture, they came in a shitty plastic wallet and they broke the second time I used them, the next set I bought were Stanley's and they lasted 20 years of abject abuse before giving up.
>>
I find a turboencabulator comes in for most applications.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>1017121
My grandpa did Tv repair too. Only thing of his I have is his Triplet multimeter. Still works but it's in bad shape.
>>
>>1017075
DeWalt 12v MAX screwdriver.
Great for panel work/anything that involves removing or installing multiple pre-threaded screws like in panel work. Great for electrical maintenance, equipment repair, and theater work.
Has the power of a drill, but the small size and accurate control of a hand tool, and the ergonomics are god tier IMO. The balance and feel are what convinced me to buy it originally.
This tool and a 1/4" quick release nut-driver set.

Massively under-rated tool because "why would I spend $100 on a drill that's not even a drill?" logic from people who don't buy anything that's not for driving decking screws.
>>
>>1017296
forgot pic
>>
>>1017296
>>1017297
My friend

I have a job where I put grills and stuff together. (Nothing too spectacular or /diy/
But I usually rely on that drill when I have to punch a hole through sheet metal or push a screw through solid wood.

Of course I usually just use a Phillips when I can.
>>
File: Chrismas Cracker Screwdrivers.jpg (145 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Chrismas Cracker Screwdrivers.jpg
145 KB, 500x375
>>1017236
>>
>>1017296
I've got a electric screwdriver they are really useful especially for flat head screws so you don't destroy them.
>>
>>1017243
I had forgotten about that video. My sides...
>>
>>1017075
Rigid power tools are the best performing, most durable tools and my business puts them up the test.

Dewalt makes a solid, reliable tool. But only my choice for something cheaper than my alternatives, but don't want to buy real cheap.

I use Milwaukee for the sawzall, and hammerdrill.

Hitachi and senco are the only nail guns and crown staplers I will use.

I prefer Toyota vehicles over any, but I choose trucks based on needs and looks so they all are viable.

Stanley/bostich makes the best tape measures and hand tools.
>>
>>1017121
Extra points for remembering RADAR was originally an acronym.

Nice narrow duckbill pliers too.
>>
>>1017196
>If someone says a name brand of any modern tool, they will get brigaded and called a shill.

Wiha.
>>
>>1017201
>Excellent! I prefer 18V DeWalt cordless and corded power tools because I've found them to be durable and reliable.

DeWalt corded and cordless tools work well. Their 9" grinders survived welding student abuse better than Milwaukee and Metabo.

>I pick up legacy Snap-On, Craftsman, and Thorsen hand tools at pawn shops. I'm pretty picky about those, though. Some build styles are clunky and awkward for me to use. Same goes for certain eras of Stanley tools. Older Crescent tools are good, newer tend to suck. Rigid pipe and basin wrenches save you a lot of muscle ache and fatigue.

Agreed. J.H. Williams made some good industrial tools as do Mac, Matco and Proto.

>I prefer Miller welding equipment over Lincoln, which I'll take over Airco. It all gets dropped in favor of Powcon.

You must be old like me. I buy by model and have multiple brands. Much love for my 1300lb Miller 340 (not 330) AB/P.
I'll never need 570 amps output but dat arc is sweet and I don't go jogging with it so weight doesn't matter. If I pipelined I'd get a Lincoln engine drive but for shop if buying new I'd get Miller. Lots of old Airco is rebadged Miller and can be got cheep. ESAB is hit or miss since they changed owners a lot. I like the Powcon cases but haven't got to play with one.
>>
>>1017201
>Victor regulators, blowpipes, and torches all the way.

I prefer Victor regs because I can field strip and rebuild them easily plus kits are cheap. I got a pile at auction so I've a lifetime supply. I even use an SR 450 on my gas grill. ESAB regs have a lifetime warranty and work just fine but I buy used so Victor wins. Smith make great regs but with less variety than Victor.

There ain't a lot of quality difference between Victor, Smith, Oxweld/Purox/Linde/L-tec/Harris but Victor and Harris cutting tips are most available. Old Oxweld/Purox torches are wonderfully built and have great ergonomics. If I had to pick one brand for shop use it would be that. Current Smith lifetime series torches are probably the best built US-made torches today. Victor torch seals aren't the most durable but ya can change them in minutes so meh.

If you want a beastly Victor combo torch, run a 310C heavy duty handle. Take a CA 2460 cutting attachment and remove the tube/head assembly by unscrewing the nuts. Clean the threads etc so you leave no crumbs. Take a Victor ST series long straight cutting torch of your choice which uses the same nut style as your cutting attachment. Assemble and leak check. I leak check my rebuilt torches (I used to sell 'em on Ebay) with compressed air under water before use. You now have a combo longer than the usual Journeyman size AND the straight torch and can run the shorter cutting attachments when desired. I sold quite a few of those to repair weldors.

If you're out of acetylene, need to run a rosebud and didn't bring one for LP, you can cut off a Tweco MIG nozzle and hose clamp it to an acetylene rosebud as a flameholder.

Have some Victor service manuals/parts books: http://victortechnologies.com/victor/resource-center/literature/?option=com_doclib&dispBrand=victor&categoryID=25

The canonical OA handbook from before TIG:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?125091-1939-Oxwelders-Handbook-ebay-not-mine
>>
As far as "budget" tools go, I really like Truper from Mexico and Silverline from India.
They both have a large variety of general purpose hand tools.

For cordless tools, I would probably buy Hilka or Milwaukee.
>>
File: 614-6.jpg (3 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
614-6.jpg
3 KB, 250x250
http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/electronics/electronics-screwdriver-18-3-mm-slotted-6-152-mm-blade
>>
>>1017366
My Milwaukee 28V have taken many years of hard use with only the Sawzall needing a QD blade chuck and my much abuse angle grinder needing a control module. I've only worn out one battery. They helped renovate three houses and slew many vehicles in salvage yards. Milwaukee pushes the 18V which are also excellent.

DeWalt is releasing 60 and 120 volt cordless tools and that's likely the next set I'll buy. My bro uses the hell out of his smaller DeWalts and I've had happy experience with their corded tools on the job.
>>
Guess I'll throw in a shill for Ridgid. Have a decent range of their power tools and the ergonomics is pretty good compared to shit like milwaukee. I know it's all TTI shit, but I like it.

Klein hand tools are also good quality from what I can tell. I have a small set of long nose pliers that I have had for a while and refit handles to several times since I rape them.
>>
>>1017075
Ive fallen in love with the Knipex plier wrench.
I have never ever liked adjustable wrenches, but I bought the pliers wrench at a good price.

The 7 inch ones are really handy
Its my current favorite tool, just because I just got it recently
>>
I used to go through 2 or 3 7" angle grinders a month. Now I only buy makita and break one every 3 or 4 months.
>>
>>1018237
Makita have always made good angle grinders. I wouldn't hesitate to get one new or used.
>>
>>1018237
Pipefitter or welder?
>>
>>1018325
Neither, he's a liar.
>>
>>1018237
>I went through 2 or 3 7" grinders in a month (one time) because I'm a dumbass who doesn't take care of tools

ftfy
>>
>>1018352
Or he bought utter garbage grinders. I maintained a toolroom and idiots can kill them, but that many that fast would have me curious.
>>
>>1017075
What the fuck are these questions?
Have you ever used tools before in your life?
>>
>>1018237
Literal retards shouldn't be allowed to use angle grinders.
>>
hand tools like screw drivers and wrenches i generally use cheap stuff with the exception of ratcheting wrenches because there's really no cheap ones. for power tools i have a contract with Dewalt so i only use their stuff unless it's something they don't have
>>
>>1018907
not hard to do really. even the best grinders will fail fast in the hands of a moron.
>>
Tools? Depends on the project.

For electronics work (the bulk of what I do, I suppose, aside from sewing):
Side cutters, mini-pliers set (Husky brand, they are decent), Klein wire strippers, RS bit driver set (mostly for all of those damn tiny security bits), mini-driver set (Husky), Klein driver set, needle file set, solder sucker, Hakko ironing station, weller 15W iron, weller soldering gun, ExTech DMM, RS DMM, RS Analog Meter (comes in handy at times), BK precision power supply, Rigol DS1054z.

I'm looking to get an inexpensive function gen, eyeing a deal on a HP bench supply, and probably pick up a proper USB LA since the Bus Pirate isn't cutting it.

However, almost all of this is useless for fiberglass work, machine shop, wood working, or automotive work (though we did swap out the audio system and used some of the above tools).
>>
>>1018929
To be clear, the Bus Pirate isn't a great LA. For what it was designed for, it's a good option.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.