[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Getting mildew smell out of carpet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: stink.jpg (2 KB, 134x90) Image search: [Google]
stink.jpg
2 KB, 134x90
I keep a half frozen 1 gallon container of water on the carpet next to my bed to drink during the night. An sometimes next to the couch if my gf stays over. I can't sleep in the same bed with her, i have to sleep by myself.

I've been doing this routine for 5 years. But recently spilled about a gallon of water next to my bed, and next to the couch when I was passed out drunk or my covers knocked it over in the night.

I tried cleaning my carpet with those carpet cleaners you rent from the grocery store and it smelled nice the first day but the stink is back again.

It smells like feet/mildew and is only coming from the two exact spots i spilled a gallon of water. An it's not my feet or my gf's, I'm positive.

How do i get rid of this smell? It's driving me insane
>>
>>1016368
It is from the mold and becteria that the water gave life to, you will need to lift the carpet and scrape off the caked on becteria on the floor, and full strength bleach or other stuff to nuke the area, and then... stop spilling
>>
>>1016368
The smell is never going to fully go away until you stop letting moisture infiltrate the area.

First thing first, if absolutely must continue to leave it on the floor then you need to devise a way to keep the condensation from running into the carpet. A cheap plastic tray from the dollar store of some shape should work just fine.

Second mix up at a 2:1 ratio a mixture of distilled water and distilled white vinegar into a clean spray bottle. Theres no point making it warm like most guides suggest since it works just fine ice cold too.

Spray the area lightly, enought to wet it, but not enough to soak it. Let sit for a few minutes and scrub clean with a towel. Get all of the moisture out as you can.

Sprinkle baking soda over the area, lightly beush into the fibers and let sit overnight. Vacuum thoroughly in the morning.

To help beat back anything that might try to take hold again mix up equal amounts of TSP in the RED BOX, washing soda from the laundry aisle, and any oxiclean or equivalent powder.

Mix into a loose paste. Test for color fastness in an inconspicuous spot before proceeding.

With a wet sponge and gloves work a portion into the pile of the carpet. Mist with distilled water if the area dries out on you. The goal is to try and get the salts worked into the fibers of the carpet where the bacteria and mold will hide.

Allow to dry with a fan to speed it along. This solution is used quite succesfully to inhibit mold growth on boat sails being stored for the winter. Its slightly caustic so be careful with your skin and eyes.
>>
>>1016368
>can't sleep in the same bed with her, i have to sleep by myself.

Because you're a thrasher? Or just

>muh morals.

Just curious

Seriously though make a coaster
>>
>>1016518
No. Because she takes up 3/4 of the bed even though shes only 160 and i am a light sleepe and we work completely different hours due to the nature of our jobs
>>
>>1016520
My boyfriend is the same way. We were both used to having a king size bed to ourselves, i can keep to my side but he'll shove me off the bed in the middle of the night.

We ended up getting a bed from ultra bed 12'wide x 8'long.
>>
>>1016520
>>1016526

You guys never shagged in a college dorm, eh?

#firstworldbluecollarproblems
>>
>Light sleeper
>Delicate sensibilities
>Needs to wake up for a little sippy in the night

You were not made to live long in this world OP, a failure kept alive by modern convenience.
>>
>>1016566
At even a half gallon of water a night (because of the ice), I'm betting what he really wants to know is how to get that bothersome piss smell out of the mattress.
>>
File: g8 summit.jpg (149 KB, 1195x772) Image search: [Google]
g8 summit.jpg
149 KB, 1195x772
>>1016368
rub some deodorant on the carpet. it works for bongwater.
>>
>>1016532
I never lived in a college dorm because I owned my home outright by the time I went to college at 21.
>>
In the future when you've spilled water on something and didn't dry it up immediately use some OdoBan or similar anti-mildew cleaner on it.
>>
Rent or buy a dehumidifier, run it for a few days.
>>
If you spilled a whole gallon you're gonna need to pull up the carpet and see how bad it is underneath.
>>
>>1016502
Nailed it by the third reply. Everybody else can go home now.

Itt: /diy/ continues to be the best board.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.