[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any guides on house building? Going to buy some land and use
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: images-2.jpg (50 KB, 704x436) Image search: [Google]
images-2.jpg
50 KB, 704x436
Any guides on house building? Going to buy some land and use the wood to build a house, any electrical guides would be nice too
>>
>>1016312
The 2016 NEC book.
>>
Nope no one has ever written a guide for that, and if they have, it sure as shit wouldn't be on Google.
>>
>>1016339
Thank fucking god im not the only one who gets this.

Anyone who wants to build any domocile needs to just get a copy of this shit. It walks you through every calculation you need from footing depth and width, to framing, and roof load.

Get it, read it, study it, learn it.
>>
No, you aren't.
>>
>>1016543
The National Electric Code walks you through footing depth and roof load? Shit sure has changed since I was in school.

>>1016312
No you're not. It's some stupid like self suficent wet dream you have. You'll never fucking do it and you're not fooling anyone.

You're doubly not going to buy the land, cut down the trees, mill them, kiln dry them, and build a fucking house out of it. Mostly because you don't have a kiln, and you won't build one because you lack the money and skill to do it.

You're also not going to let the wood dry naturally because it will take years.
>>
>>1016543
is it in metric or retardinchesandfoots12inapair kind of measurement system ?
>>
>>1016669
not op
I have about 500k in cash (eurofag here) and I already own 3 acres of land ~1 is in the forest.

Whats the process of drying the wood unnaturally ?
>>
>>1016694
P.S. if you think I'm being serious your fucking retarded. End of story
>>
>>1016673
>Whats the process of drying the wood unnaturally ?
put it in a kiln.
>>
>>1016312
https://archive.org/stream/cementhousesand00radfgoog#page/n46/mode/2up

https://archive.org/stream/housemanualofrur00jacq#page/24/mode/2up

or just serach open library:
https://openlibrary.org/search?q=carpentry&has_fulltext=true
>>
>>1016673
>eurofag
>acres
Pick one shitlord.
>>
I plan on doing the same soon. Just need a few thousand more dollarydoos and I'll pick up 10-20 acres. I'm gonna build a log cabin in my time off or alternatively cob if the soil is decent wherever I end up finding a good lot.
>>
>>1016312
>buy land
>build carport
>buy old camper
>put camper in carport
>enjoy wooded land and firewood
>>
>>1016312
Building a house alone would be fucking tedious, at least if you do it the conventional way. You're going to spend a lot of time creating jigs to hold things in place while you secure them.
>>
>>1016669
Just FYI, timber framing is done green, has been for centuries. There is no need to dry timber unless you're looking to build a prefab "modern" house
>>
>>1016731
If you're building log hause like in OP's pic sure. If you're cuting logs into planks you're gonna have bad time if you don't dry them.
>>
>>1016673
>I have about 500k in cash (eurofag here) and I already own 3 acres of land ~1 is in the forest.

What does 500k buy in land in Europe? Like a 1 bed 1 bath 600 sq ft?

>Whats the process of drying the wood unnaturally ?

With a kiln.

>>1016731
Timber framed houses are also extremely rare when compared to modern stick built houses in the US because of the cost.
>>
>>1016972
The reason timber framed houses in the US fell apart started in the 1950s after the world war, people just wanted a home to settle down in. And if you survived the war, its not like you had boat loads of cash laying around. Then the government started to push the first "diy" movements and big companys wanted to capitalize on these systems. For example craftsman kit houses. They where suppose to be easy for anyone to build. And then when stick framing became popular enough the cost of materials to do so came way down. Plus you can build homes in places like florida for really cheap compared to before. Because florida has no natrual stones and after the 1870s most of the large cypress and slash pine reserves where already cut down.
>>
>>1016312
I started building my own house when I was 17 years old.

I had one job and one kid, every other week.

My grandma helped babysit while I was at work/working on the house.

When I didn't have my child I split my time 50/50 between working and working on the house. Noteworthy is that my job often has me tearing apart shipping containers in which I can get 8, 10, 12, and sometimes 16 foot 2x4s.

My dad convinced a family friend of his, a retired house framer, to help me start it. It was built on a one-acre parcel of wooded land that my dad owned and wasn't doing anything with so he signed it over to me as a gift (family land anyway so it's not like he lost any money)
Now I have to pay a small land tax on it every month.

Framing the first room took about 3 months, because it is built extremely well and he usually helped me when our free time would sync up.

He got disinterested, as all unpaid help will. I took the project more seriously than he did.

My dad, out of kindness/because he can, hired a general contractor to help me. During which we added 3 more rooms plus an enclosed porch. I've always bought materials as I could afford them. In my area no permits/inspections are required. I am paying back my dad for paid labor as I'm able, it was about $6,000, now I'm down to like $2k or so.

Now, I'm 20 years old, I live in it full time, and it's a one-story 600 square foot one story rustic shingle cabin. 4 interior rooms plus the porch. Live alone with my 3 year old son (who I now have full time).

I'm currently saving to expand it into a more common or even above-average sized house: the next planned addition is a 20x22 two-story addition which will create a dining room, larger kitchen and two more bedrooms. It will go up within 10 years and I likely won't have any debt at all from it. I'll add some technical details in a second post.
>>
>>1017625
All 4 rooms:
Foundation: round concrete deck piers every 4 feet, oak 4x12 girders, floor joists are yellow pine 2x8s 16"oc. Concrete piers poured on-site by my dad's aunt's husband who works in concrete. Oak timers I acquired for free, from a friend/cousin who was tearing down a barn that had partially burned down. 2x8s bought from our local lumberyard which is owned and mostly staffed by my family and family friends (so I get good wood at good prices.)

Hardwood floor throughout was cut from dead oak trees on my father's property, milled by my grandma's cousin as a favor.
My grandpa helped me install it.

Walls:
2x4 studs 16"oc, 2x10 window headers, windows salvaged from houses a family friend tore down (he works in demolition)
My mom's brother is a carpenter and helped me make all the interior/exterior doors.

Interior wallcovering is pine 1x8 tongue-in-groove barn siding that I got for cheap from our local lumberyard. Exterior siding is genuine cedar shingles that I got from a neighboring city's home depot for pretty cheap (had a lot of bad ones to pick out but it looks pretty good and this past year they're turning a beautiful silvery gray)

Ceiling, roof:
Interior ceiling is also 1x8s. 4:12 pitch over the main part and porch with a 2:12 pitch over one room. Rafters made on site. Metal roofing and half round gutters purchased from my local lumberyard.
Soffit is tongue in groove 1x6s.

The future 2-story wing, I want to do in the same tradition of this current establishment, quality yet humble. I'll probably do a concrete block foundation so I can have a basement and I'm considering doing wood shakes for the roof since I have an amish friend who could teach me how to make them myself out of my own trees.

Thanks for reading these walls of text, clearly my early-in-life accomplishment is the result of being well-connected in a small town with a low cost of living. However, I should be all the inspiration you need.
>>
>>1017625
Pics, bro. Also green text some baby mama drama.
>>
File: 850.jpg (594 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
850.jpg
594 KB, 1920x1080
>>1017630
Don't listen to the negative shits telling you that you can't do it. They probably live in mediocre apartments.

I really hope I helped because all that took a longass time to type!

>>1017631
Pic related is a shitty outdated picture of the roof but it's all I have on me now.
She was always mentally unstable and eventually successfully committed suicide. I can truly say that the juvenile court system, in her county anyway is the most corrupt and dysfunctional crapshoot imaginable. Truly man-hating. That's as much as I'm willing to say on that painful and irrelevant topic.

Also:
>I heat with wood heat, one stove that I inherited when my grandpa passed away. I do all my firewood myself with a used chainsaw and logsplitter that were christmas/birthday gifts. I don't AC, I've got tree cover, high ceilings, good insulation and openable windows. It gets like 90 here and rarely much above 75-80 inside.
>>
>>1017630
Damn dude, so far all I've managed to do with my life is quit jobs, waste tens of thousands of dollars, and end up an ex-alcoholic stoner loner at the age of 24. Good for you anon
>>
File: 108.jpg (167 KB, 946x445) Image search: [Google]
108.jpg
167 KB, 946x445
>>1017637
My awesome job where I get free lumber actually sucks. Everyone is verbally abusive to me and the only reason I stay there is that my son isn't eligible for the only daycare in my county and my grandma/mom can't watch him anymore so I can almost never make it in anymore, I get like 25 hours on a good week.
I'm literally growing a garden and chopping wood to survive, not for fun.
I'm painfully lonely. No woman around here will touch me and there's only a few my age who haven't moved away to college/bigger better places.
I know weed is fun and can make you feel a lot better but it's not productive and can hurt your motivation. How much money of that 10ks you've wasted went to weed? Really, figure out how much you pay and add up.
Try kratom instead.

Nobody's perfect but some acquire things that others don't.
>>
>>1017637
I'm a mix of both.

Paid off house yet can't keep a steady job. I'm not an addict but I enjoy my home brew. I currently make $11 doing manual labor and have a degree in business as well as social + behavioral sciences. I want to sell, leave California, and build my own house. The left over money will be invested. Real estate and socks. Also my own workshop for making stuff.
>>
>>1017646
>not investing in the stalk market.
>>
>>1017642
>not growing dank ass herbs for profit.

I'm not saying that I've been there, but I've been there.
>>
File: 1367458552198.jpg (25 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1367458552198.jpg
25 KB, 500x375
I'm gonna go to bed but if anybody has any questions for me, post away and hang onto this thread, I'll check back in about 10 hours if it's still up
>>
>>1017642
I stopped smoking a few days ago, it was ruining my life. I'm sure thousands went into weed, but most of the thousands went into shitty mistakes, failed educations, and selfish spending. I make 11 bucks an hour and can't even make my bills, I don't think I'll ever make that money back. And I allowed so many F's to go on my post secondary record that I don't think going back to school is much of an option even though I have the money to do so. I'm attempting to budget my life, but I suck.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.