[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cheap innovative solutions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
Let's say you've got land that's not connected to the grid. You can get to towns and cities, but it takes a while, ( a day or so.)

What are some cheap DIY solutions to common amenities?

Example: instead of buying a small wind turbine, use a windmill and an alternator.

Etc.

Brainstorming at this point for a new property for personal use, and I'm a cheap prick. The climate is very cold year round with little trees. Think coastal tundra.
>>
I have hunting land up in Northern Minnesota with no grid ties. I truck in water since I am not there for more than a week so a well would be a waste of money and time.

I have a few car batteries that I got for free that I use for lights. They are hooked up to cheap solar chargers (Harbor Freight) to keep them charged between visits. I bring a small generator with for power needs. Cabin has a wood stove there for heat.

I use an outhouse to shit and a tree to piss. I keep a sealed bucket of hydrated lime in the outhouse to cut down on the smell and I move usually once a year which means the hole doesn't need to be overly deep.

I keep a hanging camp shower there and heat up water to take a quick shower. I use dry shampoo to keep my hair clean.

I cook on the stove mostly but keep a propane stove there with some small propane canisters.

I sleep on an old twin sized bed because air mattresses suck.

What else do you want to know? You don't really need electricity and you don't need internet.
>>
>>1015695
Thanks, really good suggestions.

What if my power needs are a little more intense? I was thinking of growing my own vegetables, and the only way to do it is hydroponics. I have access to a large indoor area that can be used to house it.

>inb4 weed farm

It's not, but there's really no way to ask without making it sound like it. Solar is nice, but I'd only be seeing the sun half of the year. I'm going to need to get creative with power needs, and storage.

Can't use wood stove for heat either, not enough wood. Preferably electric heat.
>>
>>1015700
Electricity is not a good option for heat. What do you do when your power generation fails?

I assume that this, like 99% of other of the grid posts on /diy/ is just fap material to you.

If you're in a tundra area, fuck growing food. Hunt. It's what indigenous people do in the tundra. Grow some potatoes in a bucket to get some extra calories.

For heat, stick with a fuel and make sure your dwelling is insulated to high fucking hell.

Consider fuel oil or propane. Get a giant out door tank and have it filled once or twice a year.

You can generate power with fuel too. That is how a generator works.

Since you're going to scrap the idea of growing veggies in the middle of the tundra, what are your power needs really going to be? Maybe a small tv or laptop to watch DVDs?

Since this is 4chan you're going to say you need internet which means you have to go with satellite internet. As long as you don't go full retard, you don't need some high end gaming PC, you need something minimal like a chromebook or a tablet. You want something with next to no current draw.

You'll want a smokehouse to smoke meat and fish. You'll want it to be bear and animal proof.
>>
>>1015705
Let's assume my power needs are still quite large, and the area is mostly underground.

I swear to god this isn't a grow op.

The only real fuels available are short grasses and whale/seal blubber. Wind power seemed like a good idea, but seems like I'd need a lot of them to meet any real power demands.

Still very excellent suggestions though.
>>
>>1015712
>Let's assume my power needs are still quite large
Then you're stuck tying into the grid or trucking in large quantities of fossil fuels.

McMurdo Station uses mainly diesel generators and supplements their powers with wind turbines.

So wind turbines are an option but due to the environmental conditions, you would want something better than a washing machine motor generating electricity.
>>
>>1015712
is there possibly a stream/river/running water nearby?
>>
>>1015747
It's coastal, and any streams would be relatively small, and only flow half the year.
>>
>>1015712
Wind is good for northern environments but to maximize efficiency you'll want them as high as possible and above the treeline. Ive built and worked on small turbines, look into treetop mounted ones to save a lot on tower costs. Companies dont like 'em cuz its easier for one to fall off and kill the knob who ties it up with hose clamps. Car alternators turbines are ok for hobby turbines, but shit for power generation because they need to go upwards of 1500rpm and they are more complicated to set up due to requiring a field winding voltage to produce power. I would recommend a solid 1kW perm mag generator, one purpose built for wind power. Avoid gearboxes, they are the first thing we replace due to the excessive wear; even worse in cold climates due to high viscosity of the lubricants.

How many watt-hours do you need peak? Base? What kind of terrain? Yearly highs and lows for temp? Look at wind speeds, you'll want at least a steady 7m/s. If you're serious and not just wanking i can answer q's if you've got any
>>
>>1016036
If you really want the cheapest, decent wind power generators look at old forklift, conveyer, and winch motors.
>>
>>1016036
No trees, but plenty of wind and high mountains, will look into that.

>>1016037
Can you give me a quick rundown on how that works? I'm interested if the forklifts can be dual purpose, or if they need to be specifically used for that setup.
>>
>>1016036
Steady 5 to 15 knot winds, with coastal storms obviously so I'd need something I can disable or take down relatively easily.

Highest temps reach about 60 f, lows reach far below zero. Average is about 20 f.
>>
>>1016080
Sure can! So basically what you've got is a motor, either permanent magnet or series wound. This refers to the type of stator in the motor. I'm assuming DC motor for your purposes because it is much simpler to explain and build for someone without experience.

Anyhow, lets say that you find a good 2.2kW permanent magnet DC motor. What you need to do in order for it to turn into a useful source of power is pretty much as simple as it gets: attach a hub and blades to the motor shaft, and then run the +/- leads to a battery. Mount the whole shebang onto something and let the wind spin the blades: boom, you now have a bare bones wind generator charging a battery.

There are of course many improvements to this that are made in more *normal* systems, but this can certainly serve your purposes if that's all you want. Of course you'll have to get a battery charge controller so you don't vastly overcharge your batteries and ruin them. You'll also want to make sure that you have some rudimentary power electronics (diode, switch) on the battery end. I've helped troubleshoot someone's DC system where the guy was complaining about how it doesn't charge his battery bank even though he sees it spinning. The generator/motor was directly hooked up to the battery, i.e. it was just spinning the blades at a rediculous high speed and burning up his battery.

I can detail any of the stuff I mentioned
>>
>>1016080
You can certainly go from generator to motor as they are the same thing, but a different conversion. It would be kind of a pain to have to replace the generator every time, no?

This is not the case with all generators however. Purpose built generators should not and cannot be used as motors. They are designed for very low RPM high torque. There's a lot of good information on homemade wind turbine forums and websites, what you're trying to do people have been doing for years and years.
>>
>Let's assume my power needs are still quite large, and the area is mostly underground.

Define "large". What does "mostly underground" fucking mean? Being cryptic isn't cute and this is an anonymous board.

You'll need money to do it right so forget typical cheapshit DIY and turn semi-pro. Being cheap means it won't work in such an awful location so forget cheap. Copy what people who ALREADY live and work successfully in such areas do because while you won't have any new ideas, there are many proven old ones.

This would be a worthy case for an insulated truck body or far better, a reefer shipping container. Shelters for harsh climates are often made as containers. The advantage of a container is you can fabricate an erectable mast for your wind turbine and lower it if needed. The container corner fittings are designed for much greater loads than that. You can directly copy commercial shelters. Your container could be delivered by truck, or by trailer pulled by a tracked vehicle if the roads are insufficient. You'll want shop space for your equipment and supplies so a forty foot High Cube container would be the ticket. You'll need spare parts to replace your generator if damaged, and a propane or gasoline motor driven generator for backup. That could be mounted at the end of your container and the area partitioned off.

Check Sea Box for many good ideas. http://seabox.com/products/category/containerized-shelters
>>
If you are going to live in frozen hell, one way is to make money to support yourself.

King Of Obsolete is a DIY/expedient repair god and famous in welding and fab circles. The pics on his website speak for themselves.

Have some inspiration:

http://www.kingofobsolete.ca/index.html

http://www.kingofobsolete.ca/SCRAP_METAL_WEBPAGE.htm
>>
>>1016178
That's a really good idea, thanks.

Sorry about being cryptic, the area I'm using to store what I need powered is completely underground with plenty of free space. The power requirements would be for a small machine shop, including lighting and ventilation. I'm using machine shop as an example of total power requirements. The actual equipment used must always be running, however. The draw will be less than a small (6 or so machines) machine shop with all machines running, but it is constant, and can't be interrupted.

I'm starting to think generators will be a better solution, with wind as a backup. Eventually I'll have to connect it to the grid, it's just to use for a few years until then.

Any ideas for energy storage? I'd need a lot, considering I don't want the power to be interrupted in case I need to get diesel/windmills damaged/etc.
>>
>>1016186
Thank you, someone on /out/ suggested this as well. I'll check it out.
>>
>>1016190
If you need UPS you could consult Capstone. They make very compact turbine backup generators systems for data centers etc. Their turbines also power hybrid buses. I learned of them while doing a military hybrid APC project that died because our earmark was cancelled. Turbines are simpler than a piston engine, quite compact, and you might use a duct to put the tons of hot exhaust air to use. Turbine exhaust isn't just spent combustion gases since they flow a lot of air through the system as a cooling blanket over the hot section surfaces. Example exhaust gas use could be heating engines for winter starting.

http://www.capstoneturbine.com/

You can avoid fuel shortages by bringing in enough surplus to cover any possible needs. Since this is a high dollar, high profit operation (otherwise going to a frozen shithole in the first place would be pants-on-head retarded) there's no reason to cut your own throat by going in too light.

Treat it as a self-contained military deployment. If you bring your gear in containers then place it in your underground facility, you have the aboveground containers for separate storage. You can weld or bolt containers together in the field and cut access between them. They only require support on the corner fittings so no full foundation needed.

You can buy surplus military trucks for a several thousand bucks used in the US.

http://www.whiteowl.com/

They can be had in many configurations suitable for your transport needs. You can put fuel tanks on skids and truck them full to site. Thereafter they can be refilled from a fuel truck.

I'd build every module or major piece of equipment for easy handling. If it's in your facility, it should roll on locking wheels or casters. Above the facilty, skids work in snow if you have to winch something out to take it in for repair or mods, and containers make good snow shelters.
>>
BTW a small machine shop example would be an air compressor, two milling centers and two lathes, surface grinder etc and at least one welder since machine shops always do some fab work. That's a fair amount of power.

Failover protection could be a duplicate Capstone. They could share fuel supply etc. Run each as main then as backup to equalize operating hours. Hobbes meters for anything with hourly maintenance schedules are useful.
>>
>>1016199
You've been crazy helpful, thank you.
>>
You'll also want to study bush medicine and assemble a serious first aid kit. When you have a dozer out there it's easy enough to scrape a helipad in a couple of hours then forget about it until required.

Have redundant comm equipment and TEST it periodically to make sure you get through. I'm not familiar with radio in that region but I'd get a list of every useful frequency and have a satellite phone too. Your antenna mast could erect similarly to a wind turbine mast, and antenna masts aren't sophisticated. Many amateur radio operators buy surplus mast sections to connect together for their builds. ARRL website etc has plenty of info.
>>
Your underground rape dungeon should have drainage trenches, a sump pump, and a manual pump as backup. Consider drainage throughout your design.

Consider potable and non-potable water and ways to make the first from the second. Cisterns go back thousands of years.

Waste can be burned if flammable. Plan to sort it for efficient disposal.

Local conditions will influence human waste disposal but you'll want both a surface shitter and an underground option for inclement weather. Simple plastic pails with gasketed lids can hold five gallons each. Fill, seal, bring out for disposal later.
>>
>coastal tundra

Your best bet is to raid the oil rigs every now and then.

Be prepared to fight some really angry burly roughnecks.
>>
>>1016424
He'd lose. Best bet is become trap and trade buttlove for supplies.
>>
File: RobotLogansRun.jpg (43 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
RobotLogansRun.jpg
43 KB, 800x500
>>1016025
If you're by the sea don't waste your resources on attempting to grown your own "crops".
Learn to enjoy the taste of fish and sea greens, plankton and protein from the sea.

Use what limited power you have in the preparation and storage of this sea bounty.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.