[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
These cocksuckers right here. How can I snap these bastards
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 38724-20150925152025_camlock-ty.jpg (32 KB, 1003x499) Image search: [Google]
38724-20150925152025_camlock-ty.jpg
32 KB, 1003x499
These cocksuckers right here.

How can I snap these bastards off without dashing my knuckles across the wall every god damned time?

Hammer claw doesn't fit in the loop, and I'm not really open to the idea of grinding the tines down to make it fit.

15" adjustable wrench worked fine for snapping them off, but fuck me if I didn't end up taking a few layers of skin off my knuckles.

There must be a better tool for this. I had to break roughly 500 today, and next week after the next pour, I'm probably looking at another 500-1000 depending on how much we get done.

Help me /diy/. Help me to maintain my sanity.

>TL;DR: Is there a tool specifically for breaking these fucking things?
>>
Bolt cutter?
>>
>>1015660
Yes and no. It would take off the loop for sure, but the idea is to twist the end so that it snaps the tie behind or inside the cone so that the cone can be removed, leaving a hole that can be filled.

Using bolt cutters would leave some of tie flush or proud of your wall, fucking up your finish.
>>
Impact wrench, with a socket that's had a slot cut through the middle.
>>
>>1015647
Gloves. Thick beefy sexual leather gloves or welding gloves.
>>
> fuck me if I didn't end up taking a few layers of skin off my knuckles.

Wear gloves.
>>
A big screwdriver? Like your putting in a screw eye.

>stick in loop
>turn
>>
>>1015779
>>1015782
Gloves are expensive and I haven't gotten paid yet.

>>1015804
This would be in the same boat as the wrench. Effective, but not quite as simple as this really should be.
>>
>>1015805
A decent pair of leather gloves is like $10.
>>
>>1015738
I second this idea. That's what I used to do
>>
Large adjustable wrenches don't strictly need to be straight. You could heat the handle with an OA torch and bend it for knuckle clearance. If not familiar ask a welder on the job site.

If you don't want to bend the wrench you could run a large bolt through the hole in the end of the handle, perhaps with a hunk of pipe over the bolt to reduce friction. Redhead concrete anchors have a nice length of thread.

One nut on each side of wrench handle loop tightened in opposition locks the bolt to the wrench. Your knuckles couldn't hit the wall and you'd have much better leverage than a plain wrench.
>>
Look up "concrete snap tie wrench" for ideas. The company should provide that tool but whatever.
>>
File: Klein 3248-2.jpg (9 KB, 800x51) Image search: [Google]
Klein 3248-2.jpg
9 KB, 800x51
If you have access to a 4" grinder put a metabo on that shit. If that isn't an option maybe a smallish sleever bar like the one in my picture.
>>
>>1015827
6" grinding discs cut even faster because edge speed, and the discs wear longer.
>>
http://www.formtechsite.com/images/stories/products/General%20Forming/Light%20Duty/Gates%20Cam-Lock%20System/pdf/Cam-Lock_Lit.pdf

Page 14, lower right.

Looks like they use a rectangular tube and then you use a larger rotating tool to break it.
>>
>>1015835
lower left
>>
>>1015647
what in the world are these for and why do you need to break so many?
>>
>>1015805
Good leather gloves are cheaper than any tool suggested.

You're making a problem harder than it is, if you can't afford fucking gloves, go two days without smoking.
>>
>>1015647
the fuck is this?
>>
>>1017225
>>1016112
Looks like a temporary structure to help hold concrete forms together.

A drill with a custom bit could work. Just need two plates welded to a shift that fit in the chuck.

https://www.google.com/search?q=concrete+snap+tie&tbm=isch&imgil=ZpHqTvX_HH1kXM%253A%253BasBs0F1AhtLcgM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fdelafleur.com%25252Fblog%25252F%25253Fp%2525253D5649&source=iu&pf=m&fir=ZpHqTvX_HH1kXM%253A%252CasBs0F1AhtLcgM%252C_&usg=__pG00XwOIQesrk8p2oPpYuiz0fp8%3D&biw=412&bih=660&ved=0ahUKEwjkoPeGoNnNAhUH5IMKHcRKDhYQyjcIJw&ei=bQt6V6S2F4fIjwTElbmwAQ
>>
Tear a shirt to ribbons and wrap your knuckles if you can't afford gloves.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.