[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
shitty gas chainsaw wont run
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: poulan.jpg (20 KB, 705x379) Image search: [Google]
poulan.jpg
20 KB, 705x379
So my poulan chainsaw is giving me hell.

It was sitting on a shelf for over 5 years. I replaced all the fuel lines, spark plug, air filter and fuel filter.

The chainsaw starts with starting fluid but doesn't stay running.

I disassembled the carb and it was very clean like the saw didn't see much use ( I inherited it , so i don't know) , the diaphragm was also still flexible and in working order.

Not sure what else to check. Any ideas?
>>
>>1015450
put marvel mystery oil in the gas and oil ( a bit not to much), and let it work it's way in. pull the cord and let it run as long as it can.
>>
make sure the new fuel line isnt kinked in the gas tank pinching off flow. You may have installed it too far. If not, carb. bowl needs to be drained or carb, cleaned. Should be a drain screw somewhere on the carb.
>>
Clean out the carb with carb cleaner.

It might look clean but all it takes is one tiny blocked passage and that's it. After sitting there is probably varnish in there
>>
>>1015450
if that thing has any high/low screws/carb adjust, take them out, blow out the holes with compressed air, then screw them in to their default settings (sometimes the manual will say, sometimes the carb mfr -i.e. zama will say)
>>
Well i got it running but it bogs down when giving throttle.

I'm guessing that's a carb adjustment problem?
>>
>>1015450
Sounds most likely a carb issue - 2 stroke oil mix will gum up after a while. Don't use wire to clean the jets - it can enlarge them. Use carb cleaner.
>>
>>1015528
do you have high and low screws or just an idle screw?
>>
>>1015528
>bogs down

If its firing every single compression stroke richen up the high speed a little till it misses a tiny bit under no load full throttle. If its missing under no load full throttle lean it out until it almost firing every compression stroke.

Don't tune it for max rpm or you may seize the thing.
>>
Check if the muffler screen isn't clogged sometimes when its dirty can't run properly...just take off the screen and turn it on to see what happens..
>>
>>1015770
Listen to this anon along with the ones telling you to clean the ever loving shit out of the carb. Every passage, every hole. Also replace the gaskets and fuel pump in the carb while you're in there since they're old.

And never use starting fluid in a 2 stroke. You're running the engine without oil if you do.
>>
>>1015528
>>1015463

keep running marvel infused gasoline, when it burns it lubricates and cleans out the internal components.
>>
>>1016779

>Cleans and lubricates

Doesnt sound right senpai

>when it burns

No fire in the carb buddy. That is where OP's issues are found.
>>
Go to Youtube and search for this youtuber called Donyboy73 he's a good OPE mechanic his videos are so helpful..
>>
File: 1453402599254.png (411 KB, 371x596) Image search: [Google]
1453402599254.png
411 KB, 371x596
>>1016779
>use a product from the store that says it will fix it just by using a product!
>>
>>1016791
>Doesnt sound right senpai

It isn't.

Marvel isn't useful in the case of two stroke (including chain saw) engines. Adding any extra oil changes the gas/oil ratio and two stroke oil is already AMPLE engine protection. Marvel doesn't lubricate when it burns (it lubricates BEFORE it burns) but it can help with valve sticking issues on hot old air-cooled four stroke engines. I've used it on Harley iron head Sportsters which tended to stick valves and it worked well. Modern oils make it pretty much pointless. If you use it remember it gives spark plug insulators a browner color than they'd otherwise have so any plug readings based on insulator color will be useless.

Marvel doesn't clean carbs. If you have a varnished or dirty carb, remove it, take it apart (but do NOT disturb the throttle shaft or plate unless you know they are damaged, leave them in place!), dip it then blow clean and reassemble. Work over a tray in a brightly lit area (I like cheap LED headlamps) so tiny parts don't become missing tiny parts.

Look up "Pine-Sol carburetor cleaning" etc. I wish I'd known about that thirty years ago. I've used all the commercial carb dips including the old methylene chloride version of Hydro-Seal. Pine-Sol (not generic pine oil) used straight is as good or better. You can also use it in ultrasonic cleaners (the Harbor Freight units work fine).

Pine-Sol won't fuck up plastic parts which is a major plus over other carb dips.

I flush by pouring hot water over the carb then blowing out with compressed air or cheap carb cleaning spray. Buy the cheap toluene carb cleaner, not the expensive spray because the high dollar shit isn't better.

A rubber-tipped blow gun is your friend.
>>
>>1015486
The only one who knows. The rest are just guessing.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.