[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any sewers here? I want to make a hat like this but can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6
File: D_SQUARED_272.jpg (2 MB, 1654x2473) Image search: [Google]
D_SQUARED_272.jpg
2 MB, 1654x2473
Any sewers here? I want to make a hat like this but can't find any real patterns online. I think i have a general idea.

Im planning on using coyote, my grandfather took a couple last year on his property and had their pelts tanned, and he's letting me have them. He wanted to make a Crockett hat for himself but his hands are just bad enough that he can't handle the sewing. I found a pattern for that one no problem.

So what im thinking based off the crockett pattern to make mine, is to first cut a round top. A front band for the forehead about 4" wide. Two ear pieces 4"wide by 10" long, and a panel for the back of the head 6"wide and however long to get around the hat.

Also trying to figure out what to use for the liner?whats normally used?

Any ideas?
>>
Can't wait to do something like this when I go hunting.
>>
Google for "bomber hat pattern"
>>
>>1015325
Also if you're not familiar with patterns, they generally make suggestions for what fabric to use as a liner. Typically the fur is the liner for this type of hat, but you're flipping it for aesthetics. I'd line it in a flannel I think.
>>
File: 53a_ebay2010.jpg (45 KB, 415x415) Image search: [Google]
53a_ebay2010.jpg
45 KB, 415x415
>>1015309
Hey OP.

My boyfriend has this hat from Arctic-Store.

I dug around through the fur and found seams to follow and got some measurements for you.

As to the inside of the hat you have some options. Crocket hats are sometimes lined with the belly and sides of the pelt as those lack gaurd hairs and are softer. They're also sometimes lined in flannel for a nicer finish.

Fashion garments like you posted are almost always lined in silk or some sort of taffeta fabric. But you can do whatever you want as well since its your hat. Fleece, sherpa, or flannel fabrics would make it incredibly warm.

The thing to remember if you do it with fabric like silk or taffeta is to cut the inside band portion against the bias. I.e. the strands in the fabric are 45degrees to the cuts you make. This makes the fabric stretchier to fit around the head.
>>
File: 20160629_122142-1.jpg (3 MB, 2708x1846) Image search: [Google]
20160629_122142-1.jpg
3 MB, 2708x1846
>>1015362
>inside of the hat

Dont know if you can see the bias on the inside band.

But this shows the round top. The band is a single strip of fabric 3.5" wide from seam to seam. The seam connecting the two ends is placed in the back of the head.
>>
File: 2016-06-29 12.34.46.jpg (3 MB, 2114x2114) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-29 12.34.46.jpg
3 MB, 2114x2114
>>1015368
>the hat itself

The top of the hat seems to be a round shape as matched by the inside liner.

The brim or side of the hat is 3.5" all the way around. The back brim of the hat seems to be cut from the center back of the pelt for the long guard hairs. Just behind the ears on the brim of the hat is a verticle seam. Attaching another strip of pelt that matches the edges of the back. The brim underneath the front flap on the hat appears to be where the lower quality fur is hidden.

The front flap above the forehead measures 4.5"x 8.25" across. It has fur on both sides and again has lower quality fur hidden behind it. The front of the flap is the biggest and 'poofiest' fur. The flap is held in place by two stitches on either corner going all the way inside the hat's liner.

The ear flaps are 4" wide x 7" long. They attach to the bottom edge of the hat immediately behind the front flap. Fur on both sides. The outside fur comes from the back and has plenty of gaurd hairs. The fur inside has fewer gaurd hairs and is lighter in color. Im guessing it is cut from the sides of the animal.

The portion of the hat that covers the nape of the neck is 4" wide and is long enough to go between the ear flaps. And is matched pretty well with the fur on the back of the brim.the inside of the back of the hat is fur that matches the inside fur of the ear flaps but has more gaurd hairs.

I inspected all the seems i could find and theyre all sewn on the skin side of the hat to hide the seam. I'm guessing that the seam used to turn the hat right-side out after sewing the inside and outside together is at the base of the front flap which is the tack stitched up to the brim with those two stitches i described earlier. I wouldnt dare cut the stitches to investigate under paign of death for cutting up his favorite fur.
>>
>>1015382
If i had to guess its constructed as follows

Inside and outside portions assembled separately.

The good sides of two pieces being sewn always face each other as the seams are sewn up with whip stitches or something similar. The seams are all smooth and flat so they must be beaten afterwords to work them smooth.

Inside and outside portion turned inside out with good faces facing each other and sewn together as before, but leaving an opening across the front.

In this opening the front flap is attached and sewn in. The hat is turned right side out. With the front flap down the opening is stitched closed.

Front flap folded up and tack stitched in place.

The leather strap at the chin appears to be sewn to the inside portion of the ear flap. It must have been tucked into the two layers of fur as the inside and outside portions of the hat were sewn together
>>
>>1015362
WOW! Thank you so much for getting those dimensions for me. Pretty close to what I had estimated but different construction method.

I misted the leather side of the pelts this morning and let it soak in for an hour, stretched it on some plywood with some nails.

Its starting to dry out now.
>>
File: 1460870076395.png (260 KB, 352x315) Image search: [Google]
1460870076395.png
260 KB, 352x315
>>1015309
Incredibly gay shit
>Not fucking on the pelts
>Not selling pelts to buy hunting gear and repeat cycle
>Not using them as coats and gloves, but instead some gay fashion designers hat
Not racking up manly XP and passing unto future kin
>>
>>1016305
It´s an ushanka. Whats gay about a selfmade ushanka from furs shot by your granddad?
>>
>>1016318
Because it doesn't conform to his sense of worldview and what a man should be doing.
>>
>>1016305
Literally the reaction when the gal posted her project a while back

>>1015362
Good on ya.
>>
Sewer reporting in
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.