[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Inherited some chisels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (1 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 750x1334
They are extremely old but in good shape and sharp.

The problem is the edges. They seem to have a slight curve to them.

Can this be sharpened out or do I have to just deal with it.

Thanks
>>
Yeah, it can. I've had to refinish all of mine at some point. You can easily fix them with a file. I'd recommend sticking it in a table vice if you have one.
>>
Sharpen it.But you'll have take off more material to fix it. A bench grinder or a belt sander with an old 120 belt could help the process. I mean you have like 3-7inches of material there. Just keep sharpening it til there's nothing left
>>
>>1014754
Just to be a pedantic shit, you can't really sharpen it all the way down like >>1014776 said, they're not hardened for their entire length, but you're looking at maybe grinding off 1/16". I assume you know a little about hardening, and that if you just stick them up against a grinding wheel or belt you will overheat them and ruin the temper? If you don't know this, then take your time, grind for a few seconds (maybe 5?), then dunk it in cold water so you don't get it too hot. Continue until chisel is ground to the shape you want, then use any of 200,000 techniques to actually resharpen the edge itself.
>>
>>1014773
this

just use a file, straight across till it's flat
>>
>>1014773
>>1014776
>>1014786
>>1014791
Thanks. I'll try and build a sharpening jig.
>>
>>1014754
if you inherited a fair amount of them and you're planning to use them regularly, I'd suggest you to invest in sharpening stones. They will last you years and they put an edge quickly.
My advice is to get a coarse diamond stone for shaping and flattening (Eze-lap are good and not expensive at all), and a combo 1000/3000 waterstone for sharpening and honing. Add a piece of leather or a strip of jeans for making a strop, and you're set.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.